Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • SRAM X9 – WTF is going on, and 9/10 speed compatability
  • CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

Bent my X9 9 speed rear mech yesterday so went to buy a replacement, but they hardly seem to be available. Merlin only have medium cage (which is OK), Wiggle have none at all, and CRC have X9 9 and 10 speed at the same price, but much higher that Merlin or Wiggle.

Seem to be plenty of X0 and X9 10 speed around so what’s with X9 9 speed availability?

Can you run X9 10 speed on a 9 speed set-up? I reckon the throw for each position is determined by the lever not the mech, so if a 9 speed chain fits through the cage, it should work, no?

mokl
    Free Member

Someone will be along to explain this is a minute, but I’m pretty certain that the 2 aren’t interchangeable. I think it hs something to do with the springs in the mech coupled with the amount or angle it moves for a given amount of cable pull… or something. I am interested in this too, as I run 9 speed X9 and have no intention of stumping up for 10 speed in the near future!

IdleJon

I reckon the throw for each position is determined by the lever not the mech, so if a 9 speed chain fits through the cage, it should work, no?

I’d agree with that but there are plenty of people on here arguing that the two are completely incompatible.

However, I’ve run 9sp mechs with 8sp drivetrains, and vice versa, over the years, and they were supposed to be incompatible, and I’ve seen plenty of people running 10sp road mechs on 9sp set-ups for instance.

It’s in the interests of the manufacturer to make people think that the parts are incompatible, but there is nothing conclusive on the SRAM website. (That I can see anyway.)

So I’ll be running 10sp on 9sp at some point in the future.

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

Mmm so that’s a definite maybe then. My logic was that the only reasone SRAM X9 9 speed mechs not be freely available when 10 speeds are, is if you could just stick a 10 speed rear mech on. It would save SRAM’s manufacturing costs if they only had to produce one model instead of two

mrblobby
    Free Member

9 and 10 speed rear mechs are definitely not interchangeable (see many previous threads!)

x9 9 speed ones probably rare and expensive due to the rate I seem to be bending and breaking them 🙁

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

9 and 10 speed rear mechs are definitely not interchangeable (see many previous threads!)

I saw some of them but not sure there were reasons given why a 10 speed mech would not work with a 9 speed chain or shifter?

x9 9 speed ones probably rare and expensive due to the rate I seem to be bending and breaking them

So if lots of people are still buying them, why does the second biggest MTB internet shop not even list them any more, let alone have any stock?

aracer
    Free Member

However, I’ve run 9sp mechs with 8sp drivetrains, and vice versa, over the years, and they were supposed to be incompatible, and I’ve seen plenty of people running 10sp road mechs on 9sp set-ups for instance.

That’s different. The geometry of 9-speed mechs is the same as the geometry of 8-speed mechs – hence they move the same amount for a given cable pull. Similar for 10sp (the older ones) and 9sp road mechs. However with 10sp MTB mechs the geometry of the mech has changed, so now the same a cable pull will move the mech a different amount.

I reckon the throw for each position is determined by the lever not the mech, so if a 9 speed chain fits through the cage, it should work, no?

In which case you should be able to just use a Shimano mech with your SRAM shifters if it’s only the levers which make any difference 🙄

martinxyz
    Free Member

boriselbrus
    Free Member

FFS not this again. Hang on a minute, I’ll draw you a picture… 🙂

akira

Can it be a picture of a doggie?

boriselbrus
    Free Member

Fabulous autocad quality rear mech drawing…

Obviously with an actual rear mech it’s not a simple pivot, it’s a parallelogram, but the result is the same.

Hope that clears it all up… 😆

boriselbrus
    Free Member

^^^ is how well I draw diagrams, what do you think my doggie picture would look like!

Actually that is pretty close to my best ever doggie picture…

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

OK, so I accept that 9 speed and 10 speed are not compatible.

So going back to the original question, why is it so difficult to buy a X9 9 speed mech? Last time I bought one, about 18 months ago you could by any version anywhere.

I would guess the most popular version would be the X9 9 speed long cage, for 3 ring set ups. It seems that now neither Merlin nor Wiggle even list them, let alone have them in stock. Bizarre – why not?

billyboy
    Free Member

This is happening to you, and loads of other folk, because…….

Fishers Outdoor/SRAM are not very good at backing up their product with spare parts.

Madison/Shimano used to be very good but they are begining to go the same route.

boriselbrus
    Free Member

I’ll draw you a picture…

Oh hang on wait. Sorry, I haven’t a clue, but good luck finding one!
    😀

coatesy
    Free Member

Only short cage versions in stock at fishers, new stock due on the 27th this month.I’ll have a look and see if we’ve got a long or medium in stock when I get in to work, will post later if we have.

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

This is happening to you, and loads of other folk, because…….

Fishers Outdoor/SRAM are not very good at backing up their product with spare parts.

The thing is, it’s not spare parts. I am looking at complete new X9 mechs, and what should be their best selling model

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘SRAM X9 – WTF is going on, and 9/10 speed compatability’ is closed to new replies.