Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • SRAM Red hydraulic brakes – disc and caliper
  • clubber
    Free Member

The first details are coming out. look good, particularly the caliper. much nicer than the maguras at least.

http://www.road.cc/content/news/52299-sram-red-hydraulic-discs-and-rim-brakes-spy-shots-land

13thfloormonk

After all my moaning about hydro discs on road bikes (alright, on MY road bike at least 8) ) I’ve got to admit I like the look of the rim brake… Wonder if there’s an adjustment for pad clearance?

wwaswas

there’s a thumb wheel thing where the hose goes in.

druidh
    Free Member

13fm – surely the rim brake still needs a method of spreading the pads to get a wheel in and out anyway.

How long before those disk calipers start appearing on some very light MTBs?

breatheeasy
    Free Member

SRAM have probably made it so the road lever is the only one that works with it!

So assuming we all have to have zip-tie cable mounts now on our road bikes?

Surely the rim brake still needs a method of spreading the pads to get a wheel in and out anyway

I think it you look to the right of the ‘Red’ decal on the brake that’s the qr lever to open the pads up.

13thfloormonk

Druidh/wwaswas, indeed, hadn’t noticed either feature 😳

toppers3933
    Free Member

the rim caliper will need some way of adjusting the pad to rim distance which is probably what that adjuster is. the disc wont need it as they are ‘self adjusting’. the rim caliper adjuster probably works something similar to the old hope c2 master cylinder.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Maximum tyre size is 28c, so probably not at all otherwise we’d be running road callipers anyway.

the rim caliper adjuster probably works something similar to the old hope c2 master cylinder.

I was pondering that, with no feasible way for significant ammounts of heat to get into the fluid (the pads would surely melt first) they could make them a closed system and shed the weight of a master cylinder and adjust for pad wear manualy (no big deal on a road bike).

But you’d need an open system for the disk brake to funciton (no adjuster visible in those pics?), which implies they’ve built a resevoir into the levers and the adjuster on the calliper is simply moving the whole cylinder in/out to adjust lever pull/clearence more like the system on the top end elixir levers.

wwaswas

tinas – they were referring to the disk caliper, not the rim brake one?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Damit, didn’t read it properly!

CoolLesterSmooth
    Free Member

Don’t see the point of hydraulic rim brakes. Standard brakes are already powerful enough to lock the wheel and this doesn’t rectify any of the heat build up problems you would experience on a long descent.

Does it make sense to anyone else?

rootes1

13fm – surely the rim brake still needs a method of spreading the pads to get a wheel in and out anyway.

Druid- if you look you can see what looks a quick release on the over the cylinder.

bikewhisperer
    Free Member

The rim brakes make sense for TT bikes. Normally the cable routing can be so tortuous that rim brakes are mediocre at best. Hence why they’ve got the hose exiting where it is. I imagine there’ll be a separate lever coming soon, like Magura’s new system.

ahwiles
    Free Member

wow, we all knew roadie-discs were coming, but this means that road bikes are basically perfect.

and i really do mean that.

crumbs.

crazy-legs

Does it make sense to anyone else?

Yes. Normal cables hate being routed through frames, under bar tape etc because of the extra friction. A hydraulic cable can be routed anywhere you want with no loss of efficiency. Inside the bar, through the frame, tight turns (even right angled turns) and you hardly ever have to touch them, no replacing or lubing cables.

This isn’t about the brakes per se, it’s about the cable routing and maintenance.

13thfloormonk

Yeah, like Crazy Legs said, I didn’t fancy road discs because of the tight tolerances etc (rubbing/drag/wobbly rotors etc.) but I’d take smooth powerful braking and neat cables on a rim brake any day, especially since I find it easier to true a rim than I do true a disc rotor (is that just me? 😕 ).

GregMay
    Free Member

I can not wait to get a set of the hydro discs for my CX bikes next year. I will sell kidneys to achieve this and buying many new hubs for my wheels. hurrah SRAM, hurry up Shimano.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘SRAM Red hydraulic brakes – disc and caliper’ is closed to new replies.