Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Sram Avid Brake mounts alternative????
  • oscillatewildly
    Free Member

quick question, can I use another brand of brake mount adaptor for my x0 trails?

sick to death of the CPS washers cracking and breaking every other week (don’t like the cold and being cleaned) forever having to go scrounge of the lbs

is it safe to use a shimano adaptor of the same size or will I diezzz?

deadkenny
    Free Member

X0 Trail don’t use CPS washers. That was one of the best things about them, they ditched the washers stupidity.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

my x0 trails have cps washers, definitely! those crappy little washers that snap/crack whenever you torque them up

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    oscillatewildly
    Free Member

http://www.mountainflyermagazine.com/view.php/tested-avid-xo-trail-brakes.html

those pics suggest they have the cps system?? that’s what mine look like anyways

hot_fiat

With these, is it the caliper that’s thinner, or the mount that’s shorter than standard? Any reason why you couldn’t just use a stack of flat washers?

scotroutes

What are you doing to crack the washers? I’ve been using them on BB7s for years and never managed to break one.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

im not doing a great deal, they are torqued up fine, never crack when torqueing

I guess its the braking force, lets be honest your bb5’s aren’t going to be using the same force as a set on your proper mtb rig, I guess that’s where the issue happens

deadkenny
    Free Member

CPS can be used with X0 Trail, and might be recommended for some set ups, but they are no longer required as standard.

Check out the mounting guide. X0 Trail comes under the Standard type now, not the CPS. There are some cases where they recommend them. I didn’t need them for mine. Unlike old Avids which use them for every set up.

https://sram-cdn-pull-zone-gsdesign.netdna-ssl.com/cdn/farfuture/NuXp4Y-RDHPKp33u6WmMyVsPQ9nOpGMvYWW6Cv7cqbQ/mtime:1412088465/sites/default/files/techdocs/95-5018-000-000_rev_d_disc_brake_caliper_mounting.pdf

Plus from
    http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/news/article/avid-x0-trail-disc-brake-first-look-ride-33497/

… “Avid have done away with their long-running CPS caliper washer system on the X0 Trail in order to save a bit of weight”.

A few other reviews say the same.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

deadkenny – cheers for the reply and info, appreciated and interesting!

what forks/frame are you running? is it specific to forks/frame I assume as to whether you need the CPS system?

my bike from stock came with the brakes fitted and use of CPS on both front and rear

id love to sack them off and just buy a direct mount if its possible

any help appreciated!

robinlaidlaw
    Free Member

On the older Avid brakes it was the caliper shape that allowed for the CPS washers, so the mounts and adapters were standard, you could use any brand. The only way to get rid of the CPS washers was to run a solid spacer the same thickness. There isn’t a mount that will put them in the right place without some kind of spacer in there.
    That SRAM info looks like they now make calipers that need the CPS and calipers that don’t but if they have had CPS from the factory you’ll need to keep it or put in a solid spacer instead.

clubby

My SRAM guide set up (same caliper) doesn’t use them. When I bought the new mount kit it came with two sets of bolts and spacers. One for use with the cps and one for direct mount. I did recommended set up of direct mount onto fox forks and mojo frame with no issues. I’d imagine any other direct mount adaptor would work as well.

http://www.merlincycles.com/avid-post-spacer-set-20s-69933.html

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

interesting that, so if it was to buy the new sram guide brakes, I guess they wouldn’t come with the cps system then, it does say something on that guide above about OEM brakes,

I don’t really understand it though to be perfectly honest, as the x0 trail brakes and guide brakes use EXACTLY the same calipers, so how can the mounting not use CPS on the guides???? but does on the x0 trails

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

cheers clubby – so in simple terms what do I need to run a mount with direct mount on my fox forks 180mm rotor? and a I need a IS to post mount adaptor for 180mm rear too

very very confusing this mount lark!

hot_fiat

12.5mm upper & 7.5mm lower spacers, along with 37.5mm upper and 32mm lower bolts? Assuming the forks are set up for a 160mm post mount.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Oscillate Wildly – Member
    I don’t really understand it though to be perfectly honest, as the x0 trail brakes and guide brakes use EXACTLY the same calipers, so how can the mounting not use CPS on the guides???? but does on the x0 trails

They are identical to the Guide. As said, CPS isn’t required as standard for the Trail or Guide. It’s just certain combinations they do. Looks like if you need a 20mm Post or spacer, 25mm spacers or a 30mm Post. Everything else you don’t use CPS. So yeah, if you run a 180mm at the front on a 160 PM fork then seems you do need CPS.

Though I’m betting you can just use something other than CPS washers. They’re just supposedly for ease of alignment aren’t they? Never found they were easy to align with them.

I’m fairly sure my X0 Trail did not come with CPS washers in the box. I had some anyway but was relieved I didn’t need them. I find they crack also, but usually when undoing them, so every time I remove the calliper I needed new CPS washers.

Anyway, running on Lyrik forks using a 200mm rotor (SRAM have changed from 203 to 200 now). Standard PM 40 adapter. No CPS.

Rear is 180 rotor with an IS 40 adapter for my Nomad Mk2 frame.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

cheers, I think I may just sod it and save up for some tech 3 e4 hopes, a bit more reliability and easy to service them too, will see how it goes

ive actually stuck a shimano rear mount on as of last night, with shimano bolts and its worked!

its a tiny bit juddery, until you brake properly, but its not noticeable really in the grand scheme of it and not noticeable at all when properly braking (not feathering them)

will see how they go, ive just had word from sram who have told me guide and x0 trail are identical calipers, and some setups do require the cps system, which makes no sense to me really 😆

deadkenny
    Free Member

Personally I love the Trails. Massive world of difference from the old Avids. 4 pot power, definite bite point, but still has modulation some of the “bin Avid, buy this brand instead” brands I find don’t have. I don’t like binary brakes that are either on or off. No issues with bleeding so far, and even shortening the hose I’ve not needed to bleed and still work perfectly. Self adjusting for pad wear, but also easy to use bit adjuster (unlike the old X0). And finally… no CPS washers finally ! (for me at least 😉 )

nickdavies

Look on here – you need whatever it says and you can’t get one piece spacers for everything, some you need the CPS system spacers. Stupidly the 20mm adapter which is probably the most used one is OEM only. On one were knocking them out for £1.99 last year.

Some other ones will work, I’ve tried shimano and superstar +20mm ones and no joy. The OEM +20 avid fits perfect.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

nick looking at that chart it suggests a 180mm rotor should be just direct mount? if that’s the case why have I got CPS system on mine from the factory?

or am I missing something?!`

vincienup
    Free Member

yep, you’re missing something.

Check the LH column, it’s listing seperately for PM size on forks and frames. Not all fork PM’s are designed to accomodate 160mm as standard although every one I’ve actually use does. Thus, if your fork accomodates 180mm as native, it does not need +20mm spacing to house a caliper fitting over an 180mm rotor. 🙂

hot_fiat

In that case, your caliper will be offset from the mount by 5 mm. So you just need two 5mm spacers to replace the CPS washers.

nickdavies

Is your frame 180 post? If so you don’t need the washers, take em off and see if it all fits and plays without them?

If your frame is 160 post I bought a couple of the 20mm spacers as extras, if on one are out I’ll send you one for the £2 it cost me plus a bit of post.

Can’t be doing with the cps and spacer crap after I had to get them bled in the Alps in the summer and the mechanics didn’t put all the washers back on…

Edit: still plenty there http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/BSAVPPBM/avid-post-to-post-brake-adaptor this should directly replace your spacers.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Sram Avid Brake mounts alternative????’ is closed to new replies.