Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Sram and Xtr 11 speed – mix and match?
  • nickdavies

Anybody got any ideas whether this new xtr cassette will work with an X01 mech?
    Can’t get an xd driver for my kinesis wheelset so put off x01 for the moment, but if the new xtr cassette would play ball it would make life a bit easier, and it’s cheaper than an x01 cassette. Fancy going back to grip shift so shimano mech and shifters out.

sam_underhill

I really like my x01 setup, but I’d swap to shimano shifting in a heart beat. Much prefer the feel of xtr on my xc bike. If it did work it would have to be shifter and mech together I’d assume.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

As it’s only an 11-40t cassette why not just use some sram x0 twisties on an normal cassette with a 40c extender.

zero-cool
    Free Member

I thought I read somewhere that the XTR Di2 mech automatically adjusted to whichever cassette you had fitted. So it should work on a SRAM cassette. Not sure if Shimano have a 10-42 tooth cassette.

One of the magazines was even querying if that meant it could potentially work on 9/10 speed as well.

One of the things I liked about the SRAM 11 speed was the 10 tooth sprocket which meant you could use a smaller chain ring for climbing (with the 42 tooth rear) but still have a decent top gear, unlike 1×10 where you either get a really easy gear OR a decent top gear.

warpcow
    Free Member

An LBS guy near me measured an XX1 and XTR cassette and came up with the same total widths and distances between cogs. He hasn’t had a chance to actually try them IRL yet though.

lilchris
    Free Member

An LBS guy near me measured an XX1 and XTR cassette and came up with the same total widths and distances between cogs.

I haven’t read the latest info, but I was sure the preview blurb said Shimano MTB 11sp was the same width as 10sp, so could use existing freehubs, unlike their road and SRAM etc

AlexSimon

I haven’t read the latest info, but I was sure the preview blurb said Shimano MTB 11sp was the same width as 10sp, so could use existing freehubs, unlike their road and SRAM etc

It is on the freehub, but the biggest cog is concave so that it reaches further in to the spokes.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

njee20
    Free Member

Right… so does it work?

Be tempted to go DiXX1 (as I’m christening it!).

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

dirtyrider – your always up there on the cusp of new shiny technology 😉

just out of interest, how come you’ve swapped from sram rear mech? is that a di2xtr mech or just standard?

so basically xtr mech and shifter will work with xx1/x01 cassettes?

dirtyrider
    Free Member

its not mine, its from here, post 168

http://forums.mtbr.com/drivetrain-shifters-derailleurs-cranks/new-2015-shimano-xtr-1×11-899297-7.html

also in the thread it says ARI are doing a 44t replacement for the xx1 cassette

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

ahh fair enough, though I bet you are having the new xtr stuff right? 😉

let us know how it compares if you do as I know you ride a fair bit and use it fully in peaks etc

Im not sure id be too interested in the mechanical one, but the di2 version does interest me

AlexSimon

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

I’m interested in running an 11sp Shimano cassette with Gripshift and SRAM rear mech, so I hope it all plays together nicely.

njee20
    Free Member

is that a di2xtr mech or just standard?

The cable is a clue 😉

The only downside of Di2 1×11 is that it will add weight, as you still need the same battery as if you had two shifters. Di2 on a double system is lighter than mechanical. IIRC the front mech needs more power, could you get a “race” battery that’s smaller and lower capacity I wonder? I’d trade off having to charge it every couple of hundred miles (say) if it weighed a load less. Particularly on the MTB, which isn’t really used as regularly.

njee20
    Free Member

I’m interested in running an 11sp Shimano cassette with Gripshift and SRAM rear mech, so I hope it all plays together nicely.

Can’t see that it won’t – the Shimano cassette being a narrower range. Reckon the opposite is more likely to be a pain – will the Shimano shift into the 10t nicely, whilst still retaining upper jockey clearance on the 42t I wonder…

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

doh! oh yeh, fairly obvious that on the cable front 😳

looks good though, although to be frank im quite happy with the performance of the xx1 stuff anyways

I just wish there was a cheaper cassette still, its still a massive amount of money but I feel violated paying for a new one, I know its my choice to buy it in the first place and whilst I do love it the cassette is a hard one to swallow money wise

hopefully the cassettes will start coming with 50% discount off soon 🙂

AlexSimon

njee – I have a feeling that Di2 isn’t 1x11able at all. Isn’t all the intelligence in the front mech or something? Can’t remember – although someone will probably hack it.

Oscillate – there’s always the chance that XT will follow suit next when you come to replace the cassette.

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

hopefully the cassettes will start coming with 50% discount off soon

PSA when they do…..

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

ive seen the x1 cassette with pins in is around 160 – so abit cheaper than the x01/xx1 cassettes for a few grams extra weight, but even still 160’s hard to swallow when you need a new chain and xx1 chainring too

Alexsimon – assuming the xt cassette trickles down it will im sure be 10-40 (although im not bothered by not having the 42 over 40)….but would that then require a new freehub body?

can a shimano 11speed cassette fit on a XD freehub?

dirtyrider
    Free Member

njee – I have a feeling that Di2 isn’t 1x11able at all

http://www.bmctempo.com/assembling-julien-absalons-te01-with-shimano-xtr9000/

AlexSimon

Alexsimon – assuming the xt cassette trickles down it will im sure be 10-40 (although im not bothered by not having the 42 over 40)….but would that then require a new freehub body?

Yes, sorry misunderstood you.
    That’s exactly the reason I’m going to go with 1×10 extended Shimano on my new build. It would hurt me every time I wore a cassette/chain. Now that you can get £30 XT cassettes, that seems like the sensible level.

njee20
    Free Member

njee – I have a feeling that Di2 isn’t 1x11able at all. Isn’t all the intelligence in the front mech or something? Can’t remember – although someone will probably hack it.

You were right for Ultegra Di2, as you say, the ‘brains’ was in the front mech, so you had to have it. Obviously that would be stupid for a mountain bike group though!

nickdavies

From what I read, yeah an XTR shifter will work on the 11 speed SRAM cassette.

No-one seems to have tried the other way though, SRAM shifters & X01 mech on an XTR cassette.

Means gripshift is a go-er and that I can have 11 speed rear without new wheels as the XTR cassette goes on a regular 10s hub.

A lot of people are right though, it’s still missing the 10t bottom sprocket. Love the lower range of the shimano 10spd + RAD system but I can still spin out going up a gentle hill…

AlexSimon

Obviously that would be stupid for a mountain bike group though!

I agree, but I still can’t find a definitive answer (I am hung over today though). Do you have a link that says Di2 is 1×11 compatible?

dirtyrider
    Free Member

eh? absolon has been running 1×11 str di2 in this years world cup xc races

njee20
    Free Member

This

No-one seems to have tried the other way though, SRAM shifters & X01 mech on an XTR cassette.

Is a contradiction of this:

Means gripshift is a go-er and that I can have 11 speed rear without new wheels as the XTR cassette goes on a regular 10s hub.

I agree, but I still can’t find a definitive answer (I am hung over today though). Do you have a link that says Di2 is 1×11 compatible?

It’s implicit in all the press releases. BikeRumor has this:

Still set on a 1x drivetrain? That’s fine – simply ditch the front derailleur and run a single Firebolt shifter and rear derailleur.

Adam_Buckland
    Free Member

This a great thread, if a little confusion.

Does anyone know if I could use XTR cassette and mech with a 11spd grip shift or will the cable pull be wrong?

re the single ring with Di2, no problems from what you see on bikes at WC’s, also the newest Ultegra (can’t remember the model no) doesn’t need a front mech, I use it with a single on on cross bike.

njee20
    Free Member

Does anyone know if I could use XTR cassette and mech with a 11spd grip shift or will the cable pull be wrong?

No one knows yet it seems. Although doesn’t seem unreasonable to assume it will.

Yes, you’re right, it was 6770 which needed the front mech.

Adam_Buckland
    Free Member

Cheers Njee20. I might see if I can get a 2nd hand gripshift to try.

nickdavies

This

Is a contradiction of this:

[/quote]

Is it? Been a long week… reads the same to me? Wondering if I can run X01 rear mech, gripshifters on a 11 speed rear XTR cassette. There’s a few pics of the XTR mech with X01 cassette floating but not the other way round.

njee20
    Free Member

People have tried Shimano mechs on SRAM cassettes. Therefore Shimano shifters will work on SRAM cassettes.

People haven’t (that we’ve seen on this thread) tried SRAM shifters on a Shimano cassette, so it’s not a foregone conclusion that they’ll work. Although it seems a fairly safe bet.

AlexSimon

Thanks for the confirmation of 1×11 chaps – still groggy 🙂
    I also didn’t realise that the latest Ultegra was 1x compatible either.

Rorschach
    Free Member

Just because the cassette spacing between xx1 and shimano 11sp is very similar I would’nt rush to assume they use the same mech/shifter actuation ratio.Given that they never have before (9 or 10 speed).
    What’s the obsession with running a sram rear mech anyhoos?
    I should have my xtr 11 stuff this time next week.I will ‘borrow some x01 stuff and have a ‘play’.

njee20
    Free Member

What’s the obsession with running a sram rear mech anyhoos?

Seems to be folk wanting Grip Shift. Not wholly unreasonable.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

Wondering if I can run X01 rear mech, gripshifters on a 11 speed rear XTR cassette

why would you want to? your losing range

nickdavies

Wondering if I can run X01 rear mech, gripshifters on a 11 speed rear XTR cassette

Mainly…

I’d rather run full X01 but can’t due to wheel choice and the XTR cassette is a bit cheaper than X01.

Also cos it’s a bit of an experiment – someone’s gotta try these things out or no-one else would know if it worked.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

yer i got the shifters bit you didn’t mention the wheel though,

cannot be many hubs put there that don’t do xd now?

nickdavies

OP 😉

No XD driver for the kinesis wheelset. 🙁

nickdavies

To late to edit, but turns out for anyone else interested there is an XD driver for the kinesis wheels, it’s just a reynolds XD driver. £70 though.. 🙁

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘Sram and Xtr 11 speed – mix and match?’ is closed to new replies.