• This topic has 21 replies, 21 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by allroundfencing-spam.
Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Spray or Brush a garden fence?
  • womble72
    Free Member

Anyone on here used a sprayer to paint their garden fence? I need to do ours and want to get it done with as little fuss or boredom as possible. I see adverts and they make it look so easy… but is it?

pebblebeach
    Free Member

Neighbours did that, sprayed the next neighbours downs washing, car, path, etc. Its not as easy as it looks on the ads.

highclimber
    Free Member

I see adverts and they make it look so easy…

that’s because they want you to buy their lazy products. Get a brush, put on a japanese bandana and pretend your are the karate kid in training. uuuuuupppp and dowwwwwn daniel-san

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    chipsngravy
    Free Member

I’d opt for brush and find the least harmful treatment there is. There is no way I’d be spraying and inhaling that crap. As well as polluting the garden and it’s wildlife. Moody business.

donsimon
    Free Member

I see adverts and they make it look so easy… but is it?

😆 Bless.

womble72
    Free Member

Its as I thought, messy and a potential for trouble. If I use a brush, Our fence panels have slats that angle towards the neighbours property and i have seen it on other panels in other gardens where the paint has run through into the neighbours side and looks messy. Is it just a case of not overloading the brush?

carlos
    Free Member

Best mate’s 80 odd yr old neighbour sprayed his post and rail fencing with creasote (sp) along with half the drive and the complete side of my mate’s car, he even managd to get overspray on the front windows of the house. 😯

Took both of us and a clay bar with tar & glue remover nearly 3 hrs to clean it. On the plus side the car looked like new when we’d finished.

I see adverts and they make it look so easy…
    that’s because they want you to buy their lazy products. Get a brush

^^^ this

pebblebeach
    Free Member

Large brush for the face of the panels, small brush for the edges

MartynS

Brush..

someone down the road did their fence with a sprayer and it looked really bad, paint everywhere

brush is best! I use a two inch paint brush so you can’t massively overload it but you can work quire quick

mrdestructo

You can spray, but only if you prepare a corner of your garden where you prop the panels up with a “shield” behind it. I wouldn’t do them in situ. If you use fibreglass posts with slot to drop the panels in it’s a good investment and thus you can just lift the panels out for repair/respray.

otherwise, 2″ brush, dip, wipe one lip of can and play soppy music in your head to pass the time.

irc

Our fence panels have slats that angle towards the neighbours property and i have seen it on other panels in other gardens where the paint has run through into the neighbours side and looks messy. I

This will happen. So how well do you get on with your neighbours? The choices being – no problem you won’t see it so ignore it or asking your neighbour if he would mind you painting the other side from his garden. Keeps him happy and gets the fence better preserved.

tron
    Free Member

Brush. You get overspray with any kind of spray gun and the neighbours won’t thank you. I seem to remember that with a proper HVLP DeVilbiss gun and car paint, you get less than 50% of the paint on the car… Ultimately it’s got to be a bit of a ruse to sell more volume of more dilute product.

You can also get products that work as both brushable and sprayable if you really want to try it out.

richmars

I’ve said this before, but the easiest option is not to paint or spray. Panels don’t rot, posts do.

oliverd1981
    Free Member

Brush – but an eff off big one, like a pasting brush. you’ll want to dust sheet any paths or blockwork though.

neilnevill
    Free Member

I’ve sprayed before, had no problems at all. Just made sure my neighbours didn’t have washing out first, and did the top 6 inches of the fence by brush so no chance of spraying and missing while trying to cover to the top. No mess created and job done quite quickly. however, given the time to then clean the sprayer out, just use a brush if it is only a few panels.

skidsareforkids
    Free Member

I’ve got both sides of a 200′ odd by 6′ fence to do and I really can’t find the motivation… Had the wood cleaner and stain sat in the garage for a couple of months now :/ Have a sprayer, but don’t have any immediate neighbors so it’s only our own windows we need to worry about

user-removed
    Free Member

A bespoke wood window chap came down to Trinity to re-do a few of my grandad’s 100 year old window frames. He had them built with plain, treated wood. I got chatting to him and asked if they mightn’t benefit from a coat of paint. He bent down and picked up a washing line prop off the lawn and asked how old it was.

I hadn’t a clue but it’s older than I am and I told him so. He explained that the reason it’s lasted so long is that it hasn’t a coat of paint for the water to sit behind / underneath – probably as old as the original window frames.

So. When I built my new fence last Autumn, I used treated, plain wood. It looks pretty gash but hasn’t rotted yet. Come back in 80 years and I’ll let you know.

shifter
    Free Member

This month I’ve done about 60′ of 3′ fence at the front and I’m about three quarters through the 300′ of 6′ at the back 🙁
    Wide brush for most of it plus a 1.5″ one for any nadgery bits and the tops.
    Not hating it as much as I thought TBH, biggest job has been hacking back the undergrowth to gain access.
    Not done much riding lately!

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Sprayed mine recently. Only 3 panels and the wood sloped in my direction. Needed doing as two were a bright yellow colour that didn’t match the third.

Spraying was quick, easy, and didnt make a mess. Much metter than when I’ve painted in the past. Make sure there’s no wind.

molgrips
    Free Member

He explained that the reason it’s lasted so long is that it hasn’t a coat of paint for the water to sit behind / underneath

I think he’s talking about stain or preserver though, rather than actual paint…?

donsimon
    Free Member

If any one wants information about outdoor structures to contact sierra structures. This guys provide great services at reasonable cost.

What bikes have they got?

m1kea
    Free Member

I brought an Earlex HVLP last year for redoing our fence.

Used it again a couple of months ago to do do some more panels and both the new sheds. Aside from about 6″ of overspray at ground level which I CBA to cover up, I didn’t have any issues and it was a darn sight quicker than brush.

Now if we’re talking about new fence panels soaking up oceans of paint before taking the colour, then that’s a different conversation.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Spray or Brush a garden fence?’ is closed to new replies.