Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 156 total)
  • SPOTY Time!! Let's back our boy
  • gravitysucks
    Free Member

I think ol’ Cav has done enough this year to take the title.
    Well to be fair he’s done enough every year he’s been nominated!!

Let get behind him and get cycling that little bit more in the public eye

http://www.britishcycling.org.uk/road/article/roa20111128-road–Cav4SPOTY-0?utm_source=internal&utm_medium=vanityurl&utm_campaign=cav4spoty

peteimpreza

Hw will be getting my vote but I fear some bloody golfist will actually win.

Come on Cav!!

BoardinBob

McIlroy gets my vote. After his disaster at the Masters, the strength of character he showed to win the US Open was awesome and the manner in which he destroyed the field was jaw dropping stuff.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    geetee1972
    Free Member

McIlroy gets my vote. After his disaster at the Masters, the strength of character he showed to win the US Open was awesome and the manner in which he destroyed the field was jaw dropping stuff.

Mod alert, mod alert!

Can we get BoardinBob banned for 24 hours please, and have his phone disconnected at the same time.

BoardinBob

So the alternative is voting for a cyclist purely because he does a remotely similar sport to me, rather than voting for someone based on actual achievements…

johnners
    Free Member

What does the “P” stand for in SPOTY?

Ladders
    Free Member

o the alternative is voting for a cyclist purely because he does a remotely similar sport to me, rather than voting for someone based on actual achievements…

Lol! Yeah, Cav hasn’t really done much this year has he!

BoardinBob

Lol! Yeah, Cav hasn’t really done much this year has he!

I think McIlroy’s achievement is better.

Just my opinion though. Others may vary.

Plus Cav comes across as a total dick (IMHO) in interviews so he loses out on the personality points.

Papa_Lazarou
    Free Member

So the alternative is voting for a cyclist purely because he does a remotely similar sport to me, rather than voting for someone based on actual achievements…

right, that’ll be becuase becuase Mark Cavendish has had a such quiet year?

#Cav4SPOTY (even if it is the x factor of sport)

yossarian
    Free Member

I want Cavendish to win but I think Andrew Strauss will win it to be honest, and probably rightly so. England are the no. 1 rated test match team in the world having smashed Australia in their own back yard and then handed out one of the biggest pwnings in history to the Indians.

Remember how shit we used to be at cricket? Not any more. That’ll win him the award I think.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

BoardinBob
    Plus Cav comes across as a total dick (IMHO) in interviews so he loses out on the personality points.

That does mean he has a personality

Ladders
    Free Member

Just my opinion though. Others may vary.

So, 5 stage wins in the biggest sporting event in the world, let alone cycling event!

Plus the first British World Champion for 50 years is beaten by someone who tried hard at golf! 😉

nacho
    Free Member

I refuse to vote on the grounds Danny Hart hasn’t been nominated.

Ladders
    Free Member

I was lucky enough to get to meet him at an event this year and he spent ages making sure he signed everyones books, jerseys and posters. Would a ‘dick’ bother to do that for his fans?

Papa_Lazarou
    Free Member

Cav:

Green Jersey
    World Champ
    Multiple TDF stage wins including Paris for the 3rd year in a row
    Peta Todd up le Duff

Enlighten me to McIlroy’s achievements and why they are more significant. Cav has real passion. If u read his book and see the film Chasing Legends, it may change your opinion of him. Yes, he comes across badly sometimes, but so would you if you’d just done 140km, lost the stage and some hack shoved a mic in your face asking why you are fat?

BoardinBob

So, 5 stage wins in the biggest sporting event in the world, let alone cycling event

How is it the biggest sporting event in the world? Spectators? Competitors? TV audience? Most drugged up competitors?

Ladders
    Free Member

I refuse to vote on the grounds Danny Hart hasn’t been nominated.

Yeah it’s a shame this country (or the media anyway) are so narrow minded in their sports. I’d have liked to have seen Lucy Garner in the main comp instead of just young SPOTY. And Chrissie Wellington!

Ladders
    Free Member

How is it the biggest sporting event in the world? Spectators? Competitors? TV audience? Most drugged up competitors?

Do you actually like cycling?

In answer to your question, Yes, No, Yes, probably not as much as most footballers.

BoardinBob

Do you actually like cycling?

Couldn’t give a flying duck about road cycling.

Ladders
    Free Member

MTB’ing isn’t cycling?

Lifer
    Free Member

Most drugged up competitors?

We’re not talking about Premiership Football are we?

BoardinBob

Ladders – Member

MTB’ing isn’t cycling?

The concept of blindly giving your allegiance to someone because they do a vaguely similar sport to one I like is mind boggling.

BoardinBob

We’re not talking about Premiership Football are we?

Excellent trollage. Almost rivalling my efforts. Do you really want to compare the number of roadies caught doped up to the eyeballs against the number of football players caught in a similar situation?

Ladders
    Free Member

The concept of blindly giving your allegiance to someone because they do a vaguely similar sport to one I like is mind boggling.

So what sport do you like?

Papa_Lazarou
    Free Member

If you ride a MTB you are a cyclist and as such, it is your duty to support other cyclists.

It’s war out there – keep the faith.

Ladders
    Free Member

Tell Cadel Evans That!

Lifer
    Free Member

Do you really want to compare the number of roadies caught doped up to the eyeballs against the number of football players caught in a similar situation?

Oh okay that changes it. I agree more cyclists have been caught…

BoardinBob

If you ride a MTB you are a cyclist and as such, it is your duty to support other cyclists.

😆

Is it f*ck. He’s certainly not my “boy”

mrblobby
    Free Member

Think Strauss is deserving, but reckon they’ll get the team award so maybe not individual.

yunki
    Free Member

this I can understand..

but encouraging golfers…!? FFS that’s just weird

mrmo
    Free Member

Do you really want to compare the number of roadies caught doped up to the eyeballs against the number of football players caught in a similar situation?

maybe if they tested footballers we would get some real numbers. Bit like the doped up golfists, who obviously don’t exist, which is why the PGA refused to test until very recently.

OmarLittle
    Free Member

Strauss and Cook shouldnt win because victory in a glorified friendly match that the same two teams play every couple of years is a bit of a shit achievement.

Amir Khan – not really worth a place on the list this year, presumably it was selected before his last fight?

Luke Donald – would quickly swop his #1 status for a major. Likewise for Andy Murray, high ranking is no substitute for a slam.

Clarke and Mcillroy did something (win a major) that a load of British golfers have managed to do over the years. A great achievement for them personally, but not a landmark one for British golf.

Cavendish winning the world championships and green jersey is however a landmark achievement for himself and British cycling more generally. And to be balanced rather than just biased in favour of the cyclist what Mo Farah achieved was of a comparable level to this. Should only really be those two fighting for the top spot with Dai Green in 3rd.

BoardinBob

maybe if they tested footballers we would get some real numbers

But they do test footballers

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/15629719.stm

ocrider

McIlroy won one major, one.
    Not a patch on Cav’s efforts I’m afraid, Mr troll.

Besides, is golf actually a sport?

BoardinBob

Khan and Murray shouldn’t be on the list.

Murray’s made no significant improvement this year and runner up at a couple of grand slams doesn’t match the achievements of the others (though he’s still better than Cavendish..)

Khan’s flattered to deceive and was shown up by Peterson

mrmo
    Free Member

But they do test footballers

Have a read on the number of tests, to say there are no tests is wrong, but it might as well be.

trail_rat
    Free Member

so what does cav have to do to be spoty then ?

win the TDF outright 9 times and be the new lance ?

i respect him for having the courage to speak his mind and take risks even if it is in the heat of the moment

hes more than earnt it this year !

BoardinBob

win the TDF outright 9 times and be the new lance ?

Winning he TDF overall might do it rather than just winning stages

pfft.

leggyblonde
    Free Member

don’t feed the troll

lazybike
    Free Member

Have you seen cav lately..looks like he’s following the ulrich offseason diet…he did good this year though. I’m voting for Luke Donald.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 156 total)

The topic ‘SPOTY Time!! Let's back our boy’ is closed to new replies.

Members Notice New deal added to Members Discounts