Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Spesh tyres
  • pipiom
    Free Member

Thinking of putting the bikes (Carbine 29/Tallboy LTC) on a summer diet, starting with tyres.

Is this a good option:

Front: Purg 2.3 2bliss

Rear: Ground Control (S Works??) 2.1

Currently running Toro’s (F..2.35/R..2.1@850g)

What’s the difference with the S Works and others?

Figure this should knock off 400ish grams?

Any other advice Speshwise?

Manx terrain is an accross the board mix: rocks,ST, moorland etc.

Tracey

Run Butcher Control front and Purgatory Control rear on most of ours all year round with no problems. Abigale ran the same combination last year for 5 weeks in the Alps.

The sidewalls get thinner as you progress across the range from Grid to Control to S Works as does the weight. I think the Control is the best compromise for us.

CalamityJames
    Free Member

Purgatory’s are great tyres, pretty light for their size and tough enough in Control version. I found them very pressure sensitive though, managed to continually burp mine when run tubeless under 25psi (using Flows).

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    deviant
    Free Member

I love Specialized tyres, as others have said ‘Control’ versions seem to be the best compromise with weight/sidewall strength, there are loads of good tread patterns and they dont come in £50-60 prices like new Maxxis’s do!

traildog
    Free Member

I know you didn’t mention it, but I’m a big fan of the Butcher and like it a lot. The control side walls are very thin, but somehow I haven’t punched a hole in one yet. Maxxis Lust sidewalls, by contrast, are thick and relatively heavy yet I always killed them in no time at all.
    I’d run a butcher front and purg rear.

I used a ground control years ago on my xc bike and remember being pleasantly surprised that it was much better than I expected.

bigjim

I wouldn’t put a purg on the front, the compound isn’t very soft, butcher is great on the front though. I have a spare 2.2 Purg I bought thinking it was the new 2.3 version I’m going to sell if you are interested, or you can get the 2.2 for £18 or something from tredz.

pipiom
    Free Member

Ok, last question (ish):
    How’s about:
    Ground control 2bliss 2.3 front
    Ground control 2bliss 2.1 rear
    Any thoughts?

Yak

I run that combo tubeless with a control casing – mostly in the winter. XC stuff really, sand, mud, singletrack, a few rocks, roots etc. I really like it for the combination of predictability and speed.

Garry_Lager

Second what Jim says about the purgatory up front – not very confidence inspiring, butcher far better.

Ground controls a bit fragile IME – think I cut two of them and I’m light on tyres in general. Prefer the captain up front in this range – that’s a good tyre, but seems to have vanished from their UK website. Maybe they’ve stopped it.

philwarren11
    Free Member

Butcher up front and Purgatory grid out back for me. I personally wouldnt run non grids in the rear but im probably heavier than a lot of the racing snakes on here.

pipiom
    Free Member

Cheers guys at Trendz prices I can have a play about with options

devash
    Free Member

I’m currently running Purgatory grids front and rear, but will be changing to a Ground Control Grid rear now the weather’s nice and dry. All in 2.3 unfashionable 26″ size.

I’ve gone for the Grid versions because my local trails (Italian alps) are tyre-shreddingly loose and rocky. The weight penalty is only 50 grams per tyre though. I’ve used the Control versions in the past and never had any issues though, but best to err on the side of caution if you ride in similar conditions.

You can’t go wrong for £30-35 each. They seem to last a long time and I’ve only ever had one puncture (still running tubes) which was down to a huge thorn which probably would have written off a lesser tyre.

My bike came stock with Specialized Captains front and rear which were an excellent summer hardpack / XC tyre but distinctly lacking in grip.

martinhutch

I’m going with GC 2.3 at the rear of my hardtail again this year – but have noticed that Captains seem to have been discontinued. Any thoughts on decent alternatives on the front for summer conditions – I’ve never really got on with Purgs?

devash
    Free Member

I think Spesh are pushing the GC as the Captains replacement. I think some shops still have old stock of Captains to shift though if you have a look about. Might be worth stocking up if they fit your riding.

sharkattack

Got a pair of Purg controls. Good enough for so much of the time that I don’t worry about swapping treads for different trails or conditions. I just grab the bike and ride.

Not sure why people are having problems with them on the front. They don’t hold me back in the confidence department.

martinhutch

I think Spesh are pushing the GC as the Captains replacement. I think some shops still have old stock of Captains to shift though if you have a look about. Might be worth stocking up if they fit your riding.

Cheers

Not sure that the Captains are good enough to warrant bargain bin diving – just lazy change-resistance on my part.

Yeh – GC front and back did occur to me, but the carcass doesn’t seem as slash-resistant, so might have to be grid, if such a thing exists.

devash
    Free Member

Yeh – GC front and back did occur to me, but the carcass doesn’t seem as slash-resistant, so might have to be grid, if such a thing exists.

Ground Control Grid

The 26″ size seems to be a bit harder to get hold of now if that’s what you’re looking for but my lbs just ordered one in for me this week so they must still be doing them.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Another one not that keen on purgatory up front. I swapped it for a butcher and like it a lot more. Run a captain on the back and like it a lot too although it can clog up a bit and spin out on muddy steep climbs.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Spesh tyres’ is closed to new replies.