Viewing 6 posts - 41 through 46 (of 46 total)
  • SPDs vs flats – the case for and against either?
  • juan
    Free Member

good if you ride switchbacks and want to dab tight corners

Fouck I must have been doing something wrong then because spd never bothered me in thoses alpine switchback…

But hey it's true flat are sooooo much beter for dhing…
    Look only rubbish people like steve peat, nicola vouilloz, fabien barel and anne caroline chausson uses them ;).

pantsonfire
    Free Member

What would Steve Peat know hes only a plumber and Vouilloz is a taxi driver 😆

AlasdairMc

Just put SPDs on my Enduro for the first time in about 6 months, and really liked it. I've been on SPDs on my singlespeed throughout, and have noticed my pedalling technique get a lot smoother.

Putting this onto my other bike made me realise just how much more efficient SPDs are and how reliant I am on the upstroke that you just can't get to the same degree on flats.

That said, I'll stick to flats on the techy descents.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I never understand people who can't unclip to dab or clip in on a restart on hills – its really easy. Just needs practice with the right technique

SPDs do make you lazy about foot position tho. I learnt to bunny hop on flats and its led to a huge improvement in my riding but I so prefer spds for the greater efficiency when peddling.

twohats
    Free Member

Flats for pretty much everything here including 30 mile plus XC rides.
    However, on high speed technical stuff or tracks with massive braking bumps, i.e in the Alps, I prefer to be clipped in!

steve_b77
    Free Member

I've gone from flats to SPD's at the start of this year.

I ride with the little normal ones on my HT and the caged styles ones on my 130mm f/r FS, there are times when I feel a bit dodgy on descents on the FS but having the caged ones allows me to unclip and ride the cages.

I do feel my pedalling technique has improved, but you do notice that you tend to drag the back of the bike up out of laziness more than anything.

Viewing 6 posts - 41 through 46 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘SPDs vs flats – the case for and against either?’ is closed to new replies.