Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Spam from Forum? Paul Martin Handbags??!
  • Phototim
    Free Member

I got a spam email from Paul Martin selling me handbags. It was to me and 40 odd other email addresses and many looked mtb based i.e. one of them was info@cwndown. Anyone else get this email? My email is not displayed in my profile so has someone gained access to it somehow with this dodgey server?

Drac

You sure it was from here? Very unlikely.

If your email is info@url.co.uk or name@url.co.uk and the url.co.uk is used as a site then random email software will add names and common tags on the front such as admin@url.co.uk sometimes they get lucky.

I’ve never had one from here to my stw email address but the same url attracts spam to ones using names.

wwaswas

your website has an email address in fairly clear view, maybe they just picked it up from there?

‘dodgy’ servers won’t be unsecure, just unavailable.

If anyone had trawled the stw db you’d be seeign thousands of addresses on the list.

plus publically copying in people on an email isn’t usually the spammers method – they’re more likely to want to keep their list to themselves.

Could just be someone who’s got your address has had their hotmail hacked and an email sent to all his contacts…

Phototim
    Free Member

The email I got the spam on and the one that STW has is a googlemail address. Most of the other email addresses listed looked like personal emails, hotmails, googlemails, btinternet (for example “joemtb@blablabla”). Just struck me as an unusual spam email as it doesn’t look like the normal computer generated spam, its like the guy personally sent this email to all 40 of us which is why I think it got through Google’s normally impenetrable spam filters.

allthepies
    Free Member

As above, your website is in your profile. Your website contains a contact Email, was that the address used for the SPAM ? If so, not hard to see how it was harvested is it 🙂

Phototim
    Free Member

Could just be someone who’s got your address has had their hotmail hacked and an email sent to all his contacts…

Actually, yeah I think this might be it. Just that I don’t think I know anyone called Paul Martin?!

Drac

Spam comes in all forms, some almost convincing and well written. The from address is easily fake, as wwaswas says could be a friend has had they’re hotmail hacked. There was a few a few months got hacked and email were being sent about bargain Macbooks they were well written email and fairly convincing.

Phototim
    Free Member

As above, your website is in your profile. Your website contains a contact Email, was that the address used for the SPAM ? If so, not hard to see how it was harvested is it

No, different email address. My website one has some Java script or some whatnot which is supposed to stop/minimise spam.

Drac

Actually, yeah I think this might be it. Just that I don’t think I know anyone called Paul Martin?!

I don’t know any Nigerians or Chinese but they send me emails daily.

Drac

. My website one has some Java script or some whatnot which is supposed to stop/minimise spam.

Yeah but your name is your contact and the url is already there, all a spam bot has to do is go through it’s list of names and tags on the front of the url until it hits Tim and you get an email.

Phototim
    Free Member

Spam comes in all forms, some almost convincing and well written.

It does look very convincing to be honest and I do need a couple of new handbags 😀

How is everything going on? Do you want a brand-name handbags with high-quality,low- cost,what’s more,satisfactory ?
    Here I am proud to tell you that I came across a excellent site dealing with such kind of handbags,they are really wonderful.I think you may fall in love with that site after you went there.
    Here is the link: www brand-handbag/com

Seize the time~! Visit it~! Now or never~!

eajr94

rmzaz932945

l7

y5

unanry77

Phototim
    Free Member

I don’t know any Nigerians or Chinese but they send me emails daily.

The hotmail hacking thing would have clicked immediately had it been from someone I knew, I guess at some point I must have been included in an email to or from this guy.

Yeah but your name is your contact and the url is already there, all a spam bot has to do is go through it’s list of names and tags on the front of the url until it hits Tim and you get an email.

Interesting, didn’t know that. I thought it just harvested from the html code. I don’t seem to get any spam to that address anyhow, perhaps its all filtered off at the server.

Thanks all, false alarm 🙄

Drac

Interesting, didn’t know that. I thought it just harvested from the html code. I don’t seem to get any spam to that address anyhow, perhaps its all filtered off at the server

That as well, some of my email addresses aren’t published anywhere and are only used for buying online. They still sneak through on these email addresses. Your Java script may slow them down but it’s not 100% safe even Captcha has been beat before.

MrsToast
    Free Member

I knew my brother’s hotmail had been hacked because he kept sending me emails telling me about how he could offer me great low-price deals on iPhones.

Phototim
    Free Member

Maybe he could and you missed out?

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

well did you need a new handbag?

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Spam from Forum? Paul Martin Handbags??!’ is closed to new replies.