Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • South Downs Way Conditions
  • gribble
    Free Member

Hi,

I tried to complete the SDW a few years ago (in a group of 6+, Winchester start). Those that were still going on day two, (including me), bailed at Lewes due to heavy rain (we were obviously spineless).

Obviously a requirement to tick this off sits deep inside, so having a go solo, possibly this weekend. Anyone know what it is like at the moment – some more rain forecast this week I am guessing.

thomthumb
    Free Member

i rode it a couple of weeks ago and it was dry – really baked hard dry.

bikebouy
    Free Member

It’s been pissing it down real hard here, the trails this side of QECP will be mucky and squishy so you may need some tread on yer tyres. The weeks of baking sun has made it hard underneath but the dust has gawn.. Leave it until after the weekend and you should be back to dusty dry trails again.

Blazing sun forecast for the rest of the week, yup, suns out now 😀

gribble
    Free Member

Bike bouy, many thanks. Do you mean the Eastbourne end or the Winchester end? It looks likely that I will only be able to get the opportunity this weekend, so it is kind of this weekend or bust (just had a small kid).

Just want to know if it is ride able, as when I had to bail last time the chalk was lethal round Lewes because of the heavy rain.

nedrapier

No shame at all in bailing in heavy rain! Slow and slippy and no kind of fun.

Good luck for conditions and legs for the weekend, too!

scrumfled
    Free Member

getting a little clatty, but still eminently rideable (brighton-blackcap-firle today)

timbur
    Free Member

Rained hard in Lewes today but the weather is on the turn for the weekend. You should be OK this side of Brighton to Eastbourne.

DrP

Was up there last night (Amberly -> Washington section).
    Dry and fast – perfect conditions.

This was, of course, before the downpour today…
    However, if it stays dry and windy from now, it’ll remain fine.

DrP

bikebouy
    Free Member

Moi, well it’ll be the Winni through the West Sussex borders that I ride a lot.. So a bit dull for some… But the conditions are drying up quite a lot, in from a trip around Old Winni Hill through East Meon etc… And it’s soft at about 1/2ins squidge under the tyres, obvs under the trees where it’s not dried out there are puddles, but most of its drained already. I’m off to QECP tomorrow so can report that bit off the route late eve..

But can say so far it’s drying out nicely.

gribble
    Free Member

Thanks all for your weather updates. Looks like the sun may be coming through later in the week, so fingers crossed. I am not that fit (small baby has slightly limited riding), but I am hoping riding solo will reduce the faff factor of riding in a group.

Obligatory what stuff to use questions below:

I have the choice of riding either my hardtail (which I rode last time), but it has an annoying creaky seat post/saddle, very poorly lubricated wheel bearings on the rear hub and a slight skipping of the gears on occasion.

Or

Full susser (giant trance). I can reduce fork travel to 120mm on the front and the bike is generally in better condition as it is newer, but it is heavier and obviously less efficient on the climbs.

And for the cherry on the pie, what tires (from the Maxxis garage pile):

Ardent 2.25
    Crossmark 2.25 or 2.1
    High Roller 2.35
    High Roller 2.4
    Ignitor 2.1 (really a 1.8 it seems)

I am guessing the high rollers will be too draggy for this and was thinking risking crossmark (on the back anyway) as a balance of speed/grip.

KevinPP
    Free Member

Fine around Worthing/Brighton area last night. Much gripper than the loose dust it had become over the last few weeks. It will take a lot more rain to do much other than leave a few puddles.
    I would go for the hardtail if it was working ok, but you will want a reliable comfortable bike, even if it slows you on the climbs. Ardents are what I would go for. Used to use them on my 26ers from April to November time on the Downs and loved them.

gribble
    Free Member

Kevin, thanks. Know what you mean re: loose chalky dust, I have sometimes fond when riding at QE2 Park the dust is lethal as it almost provides a kind of dry lubrication to the polished rocks…

Only have one Ardent, as I lent my brother the other, so will use that as a front and put a 2.1 Crossmark on the rear probably.

gribble
    Free Member

Does anyone know if you can upload a GPX file (of the SDW route) from a mac back onto a Garmin? I was half thinking of giving this a go, but I only have an Edge 200, which is a pretty basic model. Nothing of use in the instructions…

m1kea
    Free Member

Gribble

Here’s my ride from two weeks ago on Garmin connect. You should be able to download it from there?

I had a small technical issue starting it at the King Alfred statue but you probably know where that is.

As for comfort, I did that on my full sus which took the sting out of the rock hard surface and it’s attendant vibration.

DrP
    gribble
    Free Member

thanks mike and dr p – have downloaded one from Garmin connect, seems to be ok. will try that.

m1kea
    Free Member

🙂

Things to bear in mind

The route through Exton isn’t immediately obvious.
    I took a high path through QECP just after the A3. Staying on the road is flatter.
    The sharp right turn at Blackcap, after Ditchling Beacon, isn’t that obvious when you’re hooning down the trail.
    The drag up and around Kingston is err a drag….
    Enjoy the view as you ride up Itfold hill, after Southease 😉
    Check out the route through Alfriston as it kinks about a bit.
    Once you get over Windover Hill and are heading down towards Jevington, make sure you bear right in the woods otherwise you’ll go off course.
    The final hill out of Jevington is a slog but you can then cane it across through Eastbourne golf course, over the A259 and down to the ‘new’ finish.

Good luck and enjoy

bikebouy
    Free Member

Righty ho..

I’m back in from my there and back, Winny to Chichester, it was misty and damp this morning but the trails were dry, a couple of random puddles but these really were random. The rest of the trail is dry and hardpack as its been for the last months or so. I’m running 2.1Speshes fastracks and they were perfect, I think anything bigger and more knobbly would be a waste of hauling energy. The smooth hard chalk up near Harting Hill was a bit slippy with the drizzle, but there was no tyre squelch and its still running hard and fast.
    I saw 2 filing cabinets coming at me, complete with knarrr and radnez.. Never said Hi, miserable gits. Too focused on being musclemen or something. But the two guys on Epics said “nice bike mate” I was suitably embarrassed 😆
    Lots of walkers and a few groups of DofE’ers so beware of random kids.

Signposts are still where they should be and some of the trails have been flattened by farmer John and gravel spat all over them. QECP, watch for the blokes with chainsaws and huge tractors.

Bout it. Have fun.

gribble
    Free Member

Good to hear trails are running so dry, hope it will stay that way. Up early Saturday and planning to stop overnight just over half way along and hit the road/dirt early Sunday morning to finish off, longish train ride back for me.

Will try and study map a bit more before I leave and lay off the beers Friday night…

cyclistm
    Free Member

Not hanging about there Mike.

m1kea
    Free Member

Gribble

Amberley is near as damn it half way and there’s various places to stay and eat.

The http://www.thegeorgeanddragonhoughton.co.uk/ does great food.

If you haven’t already, get thee over to http://www.bikedowns.co.uk/, which is a great resource on the SDW.

Mark

Mr Pelham had a scorchio ride out of Ebo last week until he trashed a tyre around Ditchling way.

cyclistm
    Free Member

Yeah he wants me to join him on Wednesday. I think ill pass

m1kea
    Free Member

Hmm

cyclistm

Yeah he wants me to join him on Wednesday. I think ill pass

Hmm I’ll drop him a line to see what he’s up to.

bartimaeus
    Free Member

Amberley is pretty much half way, but the downside of an Amberley stop is that (1) there’s a lot of climbing in Day 2 as the second half of the route to Eastbourne is the harder part, and (2) you start Day 2 with a climb of Amberley Mount which is one of the hardest climbs on the whole route.

You could look at breaking the journey at the YHA on top of Truleigh Hill… it’s 60-65 miles in, but you’ll enjoy Day 2 a bit more! I’ve not stayed there myself so I do not know what it’s like.

gribble
    Free Member

Bart,

I have actually booked a place just past half way point, just before Truleigh Hill. My thinking was that this time around I would try and get the miles in early, with proper food stops maybe every 20 miles (QECP 2nd breakfast, Bignor/Amberley lunch, another 20 ish miles to the end of day).

I stayed in Amberley last time and it is a really nice village. I had forgotten that there was a hard climb the other side, so that will be my last climb of the day.

This time there will be another 40 odd miles for day 2, but hopefully I can get on the trail early and get on with it. I have asked the Inn I am staying at to do me a take away breakfast so I can bust a move early as possible, before breakfast and newspapers stop me from getting going.

Mike, have looked up the bikedowns site and it is very useful – thanks.

m1kea
    Free Member

Gribble

Where are you staying overnight?

If you fancy some company on day 2, I may be able to ride down and meet up with you if you want? Email in my profile if interested.

In the meantime, there aren’t really any food stops in the second half, unless you drop off the trail and into one of the villages / Lewes.

There’s a Texaco garage just down the road from Housedean farm. You have to drop down to the A27 regardless so an extra 1/5 mile detour or so won’t make a lot of difference.

Alfriston also has shops / pubs if you want a break before the final 8 miles and two climbs.

bartimaeus
    Free Member

The most important things I learned from doing (most of) the SDW are:
    (1) that you don’t need to carry too much water as there are several taps – so last time I saved 1.5 kg in my pack.
    (2) it is handy knowing what’s ahead… glad I took this crib sheet of climbs to come and tap locations

(3) as someone else said… it is easy to miss the turn before BlackCap – if you get to the trig point STOP and turn around (we were on the way down to Lewes before turning and climbing back up!)

gribble
    Free Member

Thanks all. Mike, have emailed. Am happy to meet up, but need to get out early on Sunday (aiming for just after 6am), so if you fancy an early morning ride, let me know.

I remember last time missing a turn or two, so hopefully the GPS will help some.

DrP

Are you staying in steyning??

DrP

ibnchris

See you up there gribble. I’ll be on a singular swift on my tod so say hello if you see me. I’m riding Harting Down to alfriston and back so will look out for you on your creaky hard tail

gribble
    Free Member

Dr P, Upper Beeding.

ibnchris – decided creaky hard tail to be left behind, although more suitable for the job it has a knackered set of bearings in back wheel and I am worried the seat rails will give out on my tubby ar$e at any time. Will be on a silver and bile green bouncer instead.

Will look out for you on your Singular.

Weather looking slightly cooler I think, which works fine for me. Hope the rain holds off though – rained hard here (S.W. of Guildford) this morning.

m1kea
    Free Member

Chris YGM

avdave2

we were on the way down to Lewes before turning and climbing back up!)

It’s a nice ride down there though, it’s part of my longer 26 mile commute home.

gribble
    Free Member

Many thanks to M1kea for his combination of tour guide/Mr Motivator/enthusiasm/patience today. It was a big help and am sure helped me get to Eastbourne quite a bit quicker. Riding with people who are so fit makes me think/want to get out more.

Also to anyone whom has not done so, if you are having a crack at the SDW I recommend even a basic GPS, it was very helpful following a line and meant I got the map out a lot less. I used M1kea’s route as posted above and it took the stress out of missing turns etc.

Fantastic ride all in all, lucky with the weather on both days and almost 0 bike issues – ‘chain device’ (Bionicon v.guide), fell of yesterday when it was supposed to be keeping my chain in place and very slow puncture late into the ride on Sunday – pumped it up and it took me to the finish. I worked out I ate 2 breakfast and 3 lunches yesterday, so probably have undone the calorie burning that I so needed! :mrgreen:

Only thing I would change is to carry less rubbish and use the lightest bike I had.

singletrackmind

Do it in a day next time with a light bike and fast rolling tyres.
    Its pretty hilly isn’t it and just seems to take forever. Sounds like you need to sort out the foodage as well , learning to munch on the go is an easy time saver.

birdage

Well done gribble! It was gusty up there yesterday!

I don’t know if you were in the group I met at Devils Dyke a couple of years ago and rode with part of the way before peeling off back to Lewes in what were disgusting conditions!

Planning to ride the SDW in a couple of weeks. Out of interest how many hours riding did it take you and what was the accommodation at Truleigh like?

Thanks.

trusslebabes
    Free Member

thanks for all posting on here, me and a mate are coming down from up north by train to ride it from thursday to sat. very useful info from you all, i hope the weather holds too 😀

gribble
    Free Member

birdge, maybe – it all seems a distant memory (was 2009 according to my photos though…).

Need to sort eating for sure – need to red up on gels/hydration drinks and also get quite a lot fitter to do it in a day.

I stayed at the Rising Sun in Upper Beeding – £35 for a single room, secure bike storage, sorted me a pack lunch in lieu of breakfast and good honest pub grub and beer. Truleigh camp site looks like a great spot -views worth the entry fee.

Time wise – I stopped too much. Joined the SDW circa 7:40 Saturday am, so with stops got in at 6:40 to Upper Beeding. Need to factor in more time for stops to fill up water and eat. 😀 Sunday was quicker, but left at just before 6:00 and got to Eastbourne at 12:50 – probably spurred on by my much fitter companion. Stopped to munch bacon sarnie and picked up another sandwich in Alfriston – recommend the general store there, very good food. Have posted times on Strava under Gribble.

m1kea
    Free Member

Well done Chris and good to meet you. 🙂

I had the ‘advantage’ of not having to hump a load of overnight gear, which really helps with keeping the weight down.

Conditions wise there were a few small puddles up along the Ditchling Beacon area otherwise it was all good. The chalky bits were fine with no slippery bits.

Did have a 30mph brown short moment hooning down into Alfriston where I took one of the speed bumps wrong and landed it rather further over the bars than was sensible.

ibnchris

Not sure out paths crossed in the end Gribble…was looking out for you but must have crossed mid break…thought conditions were pretty good, a little warm for my baldy head that managed to get burnt through the helmet!

Also, did you find there to be ruder than average walkers this weekend? Never really had much bother but on Saturday there seemed to be lots of moaning and I couldn’t have been more polite! One kind chap reminded me I was on a bridle way…I stopped short if letting him know there were plenty of footpaths too.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘South Downs Way Conditions’ is closed to new replies.