Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • South Downs Double – Anyone done it in winter?
  • wenanwhere
    Free Member

Hi folks,

Thinking about a crack at the SSD in winter i.e. before the end of february. I’ve not heard of anyone having completed this although I think Rob Dean started an attempt ages ago, thought I’d check to see if anyone has managed it?

cyclistm
    Free Member

Unless there was a long dry period or a very cold period I wouldn’t even consider the single.

I imagine having lights working long enough in the winter would be the major issue

richen987
    Free Member

I have done a January single with a few friends, we did Winchester to Eastbourne, it was extremely cold but dry day. Took us 14 hours,
    The Winchester end to QE was really muddy, buy once part there we were ok for the rest of the way as it was frozen.
    I would recommend really good lights with a spare battery, really warm clothes, possibly a change if you stop at lunch.
    Also a couple of the water taps were frozen, so you may want to think about alternative water points.
    But it was a really fun day and a cracking ride.
    Not sure I would want to do a double in Jan though. But if you do, good luck am sure it will be rewarding

wenanwhere
    Free Member

Sorry should have said I wouldn’t want the misery of ‘alpine’ style unsupported so would have access to hot tea/from the support vehicle

dovebiker

I’d only consider it after a period of dry, cold weather – too hard going otherwise. Will probably look to do a single in January if conditions are favourable.

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

I’d wait until summer and enjoy it.

wenanwhere
    Free Member

Yeh clearly it’s going to be mega tough but then other people would have completed it in winter otherwise…

bikebouy
    Free Member

I’ve done the single’s a few times over winter, last year I did 2 one in Jan and one in Feb.
    I tried to choose a decent day for it by tracking the weather but was unable to find dry/cold days, both rides were in the end misty muddy affairs.
    The stint from Winny to QECP wasn’t too bad as there are a lot of open exposed areas, the wooded bits and valley drop sections were a mud spattered fest. Onwards from QECP to Amberly were fine, again when you are under the trees it’s gloopy but once on the tops it was the normal slippy clay/chalk, as you would expect. Properly slippy in the off camber rooted sections and field run off segments. Thats all you’ve got to worry about I reckon. Most of the sections on the tops were not dry but they weren’t gloopy just soggy.

I think it’s doable, go prepared for a longer time and more effort, feed up and drink well and dress for the occasion and it’s a go’er.

Also, well it gets really dank and misty up there if you are unlucky, both times I had sections of dank mist and that made for some interesting blasts.

I did it on my CX’er with no bother.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘South Downs Double – Anyone done it in winter?’ is closed to new replies.