Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Sourcing cheap(er) bearings for American Classic hubs?
  • vdubber67
    Free Member

Looks like I need some 17mm 6803 bearings (so I’m told) 😉

Seem to be about a tenner each on bike sites, but there seem to be cheaper 6803-prefixed bearings on ebay a lot cheaper.

Are these going to work – if so, which sort?
    These any good? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/6803-2RS-61803-2RS-PACK-5-THIN-BEARING-17-X-26-X5MM-/220453446058?pt=UK_sportsleisure_cycling_bikeparts_SR&hash=item33540ca1aa

Ta

Rich

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

You want good quality branded ones, FAG, SKF etc. cheapo ones have less good seals and will not last as long

vdubber67
    Free Member

Point taken – there’s SKF ones one ebay I think. I was just wondering if any 6803-prefixed bearings work, or if I need something specific?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

The bearing number is universal. a 6803 bearing is a 6803 bearing

Rorschach
    Free Member

A2Z hubs are exact copies of Am Classics. They do a pack of 4 for about £25. I don’t think they are 61803’s Iirc though.

njee20
    Free Member

The freehub is different on A2Zs, and I’d not be certain the axle’s the same diameter, so I wouldn’t like to say if the bearings are the same. But in answer to your question: yes, as above any 6803 will work. The suffix relates to the sealing; you ideally want 6803-2RS which have 2 rubber seals, as opposed to metal shields or whatever.

namastebuzz
    Free Member

I get most of my bearings from RS Bearings in Dundee.

They do ’em here for £3.73 for the 2RS version.

vdubber67
    Free Member

Thanks for the advice folks.

Namastebuzz – those ones are 61803 rather than 6803 – does that make a difference?

namastebuzz
    Free Member

No I think it’s just their numbering system – all the dimensions are the same as 6803s I’ve seen listed.

26x17x5mm.

As I say – I’ve ordered loads off them and the quality/seals seem good.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Sourcing cheap(er) bearings for American Classic hubs?’ is closed to new replies.