Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Soul v C456
  • saladdodger
    Free Member

Which one for you has anyone ridden both for a comparison??

I have a 456 which is a bit er harsh at the back end compared to my Cotic Simple.

The Simple rides just nicely and I am very tempted to a Soul but a Carbon 456 hmmmmmm

Decisions decisions

andyl
    Free Member

If you can get a C456 for £299 compared to a Cotic at £480 then it is a good saving.

tbh the choice is a hard one. In a way I wish I had got a Soul, or at least tried one, but my C456 rides great so I am happy 🙂

Del

One of the chaps down here has a c456 i’m sure you could take a look at/spin round the CP ( at least ). not sure that ‘hmm’ would be my comment, but each to their own.
    Our friend used to have a Soul. Snapped chainstay IIRC. he now has a 456…
    😀

all the best.

trailmonkey

Hard to comment completely objectively on this one. I have a steel 456 rather than the carbon so can’t give an accurate comparison of ride feel. Judging the steel 456 with the Soul, I’d say that the 456 is a brute that’s built for straightlining through roughstuff whereas the Soul is a much softer ride that makes you want to skip around things rather than bludgeon your way through. Soul feels lighter and more responsive. Carbon 456 may well have those Soul qualities and still be able to blunder through things.

Knowing where, what and how you like to ride SD, I think that the Soul is far more suited to you. Do you want to fork out the extra dosh though ?

FOG

I am in a similar quandry. I boght a steel 456 at the beginning of the year but it doesn’t light my fire. Absolutely nothing wrong with it, just lacks that certain something. I compounded my dissatisfaction by riding a new Soul which did seem to have the pizzaz I was looking for. Whether the soul or the c456 are worth the extra money is a question I can’t answer. MY wife moans bitterly about every penny I spend on bikes so a further spend will have to be right.
    PS I have used the line about it being cheaper than crack and whores but she wasn’t impressed
    Just read tmonkeys comments and that is exactly how I felt about Soul v. s456

chakaping
    Free Member

I haven’t ridden a Soul but I have had a few light steel frames, having previously been a big fan of thast steel “feel”.

But I’m really happy with my C456 and have completely stopped looking at other hardtails. It doesn’t have the same “zing” as steel, but it’s amazingly light for what it is, is very fast and stiff, the geometry is great and it soaks up all the bumps better than any steel bike I’ve had.

That’s my review in a nutshell I suppose.

rob2
    Free Member

I’ve had both.

The c456 is very light, very comfy, very torsionally stiff. But it’s quite long compared to a soul (I had 16″ for both) – too long for me so I sold it)

The soul although heavier is just an all round more fun bike I found. Granted it can’t take such long forks but it’s good just about everywhere. It skips along nicely.

Both are good though but I’d check the fit.

The soul comes in orange too which is nice 🙂

knottie8
    Free Member

Andy
    Give JP a call and im sure he’ll let you thrash his C456 . I think I’d go for the Whippet tho.

wallop

The soul although heavier is just an all round more fun bike I found. Granted it can’t take such long forks but it’s good just about everywhere. It skips along nicely.

140mm ain’t bad though!

saladdodger
    Free Member

TM to be honest this issue is all your fault 😉 because you did sell me your old Simple and I love it 😀
    But yes my heart says Soul especially after I broke a set of carbon bars 😳 so I am a bit er suspect of carbon

ChrisL

Northwind had a Soul and now has a C456, so hopefully he’ll notice this thread when he’s next online and let you know what he thinks about them.

Northwind

You rang?

I’m still getting to know the C456, but it’s impressed me so far. There’s something very soul-like about it… TBH it doesn’t remind me at all of a steel 456, the personality of the frames seems totally different, it has the liveliness of the Soul.

I think the handling of the Soul is ever so slightly better… A matter of taste but it felt slightly more agile, without feeling like it was giving up any stability. I haven’t taken a measuring tape to it but the 456 feels long (both mine were medium) But, obviously the Carbon is lighter, and cheaper.

I’m just about to pop a Works Components headangle reducer into mine, which is another advantage, more flexibility. We’ll see how that goes.

oh, lastly… Yes you can put a bigger fork into a 456, but I’m not convinced by that, mine lives at 120mm most of the time and at 140mm sometimes, 150mm feels like it takes it past the best of its handling. But I do want to stick my Lyriks in it.

They’re both great bikes, and they do the same job. The Soul just feels a little bit more polished and perfected and I reckon is the better allrounder but right now I’d still choose my 456 over my old Soul.

cinnamon_girl

I miss my Soul. 🙁 But you’re welcome to have a ride on her ‘replacement’ 😉

cinnamon_girl

Actually if you’re happy with the geometry of the Simple then you may well find the 456 too much of a stretch. I’ve had a Soul and a 456, both 16″.

saladdodger
    Free Member

cinnamon_girl – Member
    I miss my Soul. But you’re welcome to have a ride on her ‘replacement’

Wow what an offer 😀

See you very soon 😉

cinnamon_girl

😆 @ saladdodger

sharki
    Free Member

Carbon is lighter so will float in water bettere.

So would suit you great. 😉

sm500
    Free Member

seen some of the saladdoger pics he def looks more at home in the water than on the track, he he ps carbon dont rust like steel .)

saladdodger
    Free Member

well that decision is sorted

A glow in the dark Soul it is

Thanks sm500

sm500
    Free Member

Now mister dodger get it built ,)
    Mailed guy about your 456 that is for sale. give me a bell when you are heaing up the qs again..

mrblobby
    Free Member

What colour is that one?

saladdodger
    Free Member

exceptionally bright orange 😀

sm500
    Free Member

or do you mean what colour is the on one 456?

mrblobby
    Free Member

Meant the soul. Is that the current orange or an old one? Get it built and photos indeed!

sm500
    Free Member

current orange cen frame .)

saladdodger
    Free Member

Yep tis a soul

reason tis simple ( the simple is ace)

ok so the 456c is cheaper but all the kit from my steel 456 transfered across no problem no front mech’s ,headsets or seatpost required allI had to buy was a set or gear cable inners

pleased, hell yes it looks ace first ride tomorrow

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Soul v C456’ is closed to new replies.