Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 135 total)
  • Sorry to do this again…but I just don`t get it!!
  • oopnorth
    Free Member

So last night im sat waiting for the wife to get out of her yoga class, when a landrover pulls out of a side road straight in front of a road cyclist, he hadnt seen his flickery light. The cyclist hit the front wing and then the road hard, on his head.
    I was first on the scene, luckily the guy wasnt too badly hurt, cuts on his legs, but he was quite concussed and not really with it. Ambulance was called, and eventually he came around, began talking normal etc.

Now I know its been done to death on here, but I still cannot get my head around why some people dont wear helmets when riding. I dont know if its deemed uncool or its the “it wont happen to me” thought process, but surely even when riding on the road its essential…tarmac and cars hurt! This guy was lucky this time, it could have been a whole lot worse.

nickc

lovely, you don’t get it. Other people have a different POV: it’s life. Get over it. Really, drop it, it’s dull, boring. People are people, leave it at that, OK?

Steve-Austin
    Free Member

‘tiredly reaches for the popcorn’

oopnorth
    Free Member

Wrong side of bed this morning???

nickjb
    Free Member

Head injuries are far more common for motorists yet I still see people driving cars without helmets. When will the madness end!

Adders69
    Free Member

What I don’t get is why, having been knocked off his bike by an inattentive driver, the rider is the focus of your criticism 🙄

nickc

Not at all, it’s just tedious. Wear a helmet if you want, but other folk have a different take on it, so to do this argument again is a waste of time.

That’s all.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Gies some popcorn steve.

Ta

Its about personal choice. Cycling is safe – there are very few head serious injuries. There is no massive epidemic of head injuries

The evidence that helmets actually reduce serious head injuries is poor at best.

You are less likely to have an accident if you don’t wear one – why is unclear but that is the evidence.

It is much more pleasant not to wear a helmet

khani
    Free Member

Noooooo not agaiiiiiiin’ it’s too early!
    I need coffee before it kicks off again……..

bruneep

‘dips hand into steve’s popcorn’
    I do hope that’s not a Euphemism for something else. 😯

Rich
    Free Member

People run without a helmet on, drive a car without a helmet on, walk down the stairs without a helmet on, etc, all these things have a risk of injury…

Dibbs
    Free Member

It’s just nature’s way of improving the gene pool.

oopnorth
    Free Member

No, not criticising his riding or him personally. Driver of the car was at fault… but surely we have to look after ourselves?

For the sake of strapping on a lid, a lot of major head injuries could be avoided.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

s’alright Khani – I promise not to make any more sensible answers. 🙂

TJs approved city riding suit

oopnorth
    Free Member

Sorry all, didnt want to start an argument. Just wanted to get an insight into why people decide to do it. 😕

hopster
    Free Member

Send some popcorn this way will ya. Breakfast wasn’t very filling.

Helmets help in some accidents but as a person who has just discovered the joys of not wearing one quite recently its got to be down to personal choice.

Twonk in the vehicle that caused the accident should get a stiff penalty then he might take more care in future.

Right where’s my popcorn oh and the cup if coffee.

hopster
    Free Member

opp north where’s your evidence that helmets prevent a lot of major head injuries?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

oop north – Member

Sorry all, didnt want to start an argument. Just wanted to get an insight into why people decide to do it.

Well I will answer that – from my point of view.

I don’t like wearing helmets, they are uncomfortable, sweaty and inconvenient.

helmets only offer partial protection at best from serious head injuries

If you look at the accident rates dispassionatly you see for some forms of cycling the risks are very low indeed. Millions to one of getting a serious head injury that would be mitigated significantly by a helmet. Those odds I am prepared to accept.

for some forms of riding the risks are considerably higher. Then I wear one.

khani
    Free Member

Thank you tj 😛
    I’m fragile in the morning before my coffee…….

oopnorth
    Free Member

Hopster – Dont have any! Surely if you fall on your head, wearing a helmet would be a better option??? Or am I wrong?

TJ- Fair enough!

Adders69
    Free Member

I thought that I read some time ago that overall wearing a helmet DIDN’T improve injury rates (maybe severity – I can’t remember), owing to ‘risk compensation’.

First came across this as an argument when I rode a motorbike regarding wearing race leathers etc. The car analogy goes – how many collisions would there be if it was mandatory for all car steering wheels to be fitted with knives pointing at the drivers face? So driver / rider feels safe so takes more risks through inappropriate use of speed or inattentiveness.

scotabroad

Well I always wear a helmet and so do my kids, I have seen it personally save my skull a couple of times and seen it help my sons head from being cracked. It makes a lot of sense to me for sure.

That said I didnt start wearing a helmet until late twenties.

About 15 yrs ago I also was first at the scene where a car pulled out and a cyclist ploughed into the side of it. But it was dark, rider had no lights and was full of drink. The blood running out of his head and down the street was not the best end to a friday night that he, or I, had had and I am sure that a helmet would have at least stopped the deep cuts and reduced the impact damage to his head. He was knocked right out, the car wind screen shattered and an impressive V dented in the roof.

He lived and recovered after a while in hospital, that does not prove that a helmet is not worth wearing.

From what I have personally seen and witnessed if you have one wear it, if you dont wear one it is up to you but it does leave your noggin more exposed when something does happen.

stumpynya12
    Free Member

oop north…. You are showing genuine concern for this guys safety and wishing for him and others to wear a helmet so as to try and avoid/minimise any injuries. Nothing wrong with that thought and its called compassion, good on you.

I will now pull up a chair and wait to get flamed 😯

hopster
    Free Member

Oop north. I think it depends on the accident. I can’t see a helmet being much good in a head on with a lorry at 30 mph.

oopnorth
    Free Member

Twonk in the vehicle that caused the accident should get a stiff penalty then he might take more care in future.

At risk of fanning the flames… The police called me last night and said they were not going to charge the driver. Usually they would, but as the light the guy was using was not very good and he was not wearing any high vis clothing, then he had to accept some responsibility!

And before you lot start…. not my view, from where I was sat! 😉

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

“muffled chuntering”

KINGTUT
    Free Member

The next person who starts a ‘wearing a helmet’ thread should get a lifetime ban.

hopster
    Free Member

oop north that is pants. Not sure what to add really.

hopster
    Free Member

Grumpy this morning KT. is the Avonmouth air not to your liking today?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I find these very good for making holes in people who get in my way. Get your trajectory right you can write off the car that attempts to kill you

hopster
    Free Member

TJ Lol

KINGTUT
    Free Member

hopster – Member

Grumpy this morning KT. is the Avonmouth air not to your liking today?

Nah, not particularly it’s just this topic was covered yesterday, last week etc.

It will just end in sending TJ into orbit.

oopnorth
    Free Member

Hopster – I agree!

Even if his lights were deemed rubbish, the driver was not taking due care and attention, he should face some penalty! Would it have been the same with a pedestrian in dark clothing?

Popocatapetl

There’s a guy on the telly right now, riding a bike inside, round a piece of wood, 😯 wearing a helmet and he’s inside!! FFS someone tell him to take it off, he looks a right knob!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I think I might try one of these. Being a mythological beastie should provide plenty of protection

KingTut – even I began to realise the futility of this debate – having said as much as I could be arsed on it the other day and a week or two ago we had the fully fledged science paper splurge.

anyone who wants to restart the debate should be made to read threu all the previous threads first.

rOcKeTdOg

has the popcorn tub got a hole in the bottom steve? is that why you are so eagerly offering it around? 😯

hopster
    Free Member

KT not bringing her much lately I’ve missed loads of threads so apologies for going over old ground.

Oop North the cyclist can still attempt to get some compensation via the small claims court. Did he take your details?

geetee1972
    Free Member

What about the fact that the cyclist was only using a little ‘flickering’ light? Aren’t those things not supposed to be ‘road legal’?

hopster
    Free Member

TJ I still haven’t got my popcorn so I’m off to find some biscuits instead. So missed the sympathetic attitude of us tree loving cyclist.

oopnorth
    Free Member

Hopster – Yeah, I made sure he had my name and number, I even wrote it on his arm cos I had no paper 🙂 The bike was knackered.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 135 total)

The topic ‘Sorry to do this again…but I just don`t get it!!’ is closed to new replies.