Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Sorry boring: House alarms wired or wireless
  • el_boufador

Hello,
    Our aged old house alarm (key operated job, circa 1990) has died – doesn’t recognise the back door closing anymore so just goes off.
    It’s well outdated now (e.g. no battery backup – alarm just turns off when you cut the power!), and at the end of its useful life. So rather than try to find the issue and fix it I’m more inclined to buy a new system.

So, should I go for a wired or a wireless system? A wireless system is more attractive principally because it’d be much easier to fit if I decided to DIY (or presumably cheaper for a pro), but also because I could put a PIR in the external garage for a bit more bike security.

But are there any downsides? E.g. are they any less reliable, Can the wireless signal be spoofed / broken somehow so a tech savvy crook could disable it (not that I really think this is likely, but still…)?

Or would I just be safer going for wired?

If I got a wireless system I’d be inclined to DIY the install. Any pitfalls? I guess I would have to wire the control panel and the sounder up to the mains – but I know a friendly sparky whou could do that.

Finally, any recommendations for systems, and/or any shops who would be able to advise on what system to get?

Thanks for any help!

Liftman

Can’t you use the wiring on your existing alarm system and just fit a new control box and sensors etc

Jason
    Free Member

I fitted a Yale wireless system to our house last year. Very easy to fit and seems to be reliable. I don’t think the signal from the sensors can be easily jammed, but I guess it is possible.

One handy feature on the system we have is that the control panel can beep if certain sensors are triggered even when the alarm isn’t set. This way if somebody broke into the garage while we were in the house (garage at the side of the house) we would know about it.

joolsburger
    Free Member

I have a yale wireless too. Seems decent, certainly works.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Not sure what make but a lot of our neighbours had wireless alarms which were triggered every time we used the caravan moving system or garage door opener. Funny the first time.

Wiring fault will still be there if you re-use the wiring.

el_boufador

Thanks all

Where did you guys buy your systems? Can you recommend anywhere which would give good advice?

Ta

joolsburger
    Free Member

Got mine online Yale’s helpline was excellent.

ton

mate, i sell alarms to the trade.
    non of the security companies use wireless because of maintainance issues.

i will gladly sell you a alarm system at trade price.
    give me a ring on 01132633500 if you are interested.
    ask for tony

el_boufador

Nice one ton I may very well do that – I am Leeds based too.

Quick Q – Is there any way to integrate an external PIR with a wired system, other than running a cable?

Also, any products you would recommend so I can research online?

Thanks

NZCol

We’ve got a Bosch system in our house which is a mix of wired and wireless. Had to be like that due to flat roof and no wiring possible. Has 4 wireless PIR’s and a wireless smoke alarm. All works fine and the guys who fit them said they have had no problems with them at all. Handy alarm as has the same alert function for the garage PIR being triggered even if the alarm is not set, v handy. Has remotes and linked to garage door opener etc.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Sorry boring: House alarms wired or wireless’ is closed to new replies.