Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)
  • SORRY – 160mm forks again
  • Gooner_Dom
    Free Member

Guys after a bit of friendly advice – Having bagged myself a Carbon Nomad I am after a set of 160mm travellers!

first of if anyone has any links to good deals please post up 🙂
    (I need tapered or full 1.5″ steerer)

Have been looking at 2012 Talas 160 FIT RLC Kashima – BUT have heard service intervals are not good! and the Talas has extra weight and is not as plush? as say the FLOAT 160 RLC FIT. buy again servicing is very frequent.

I have also been looking a BOS Deville 160 TRC. Heard nothing but good stuff about them but ALOT harder to come by.

And then we have Lyrik’s but i have no idea about all the flipping models RockShox offer – U turn, coil, dual air, single air blah blah etc etc. Which is best?

Anyone got any helpful info for me????

Talas – Float – Lyrik – Deville???????

wrecker
    Free Member

I have float RLC FITs. Seem good.
    I would not discount the marz forks. They are supposedly very good nowadays and not too pricey. Did you buy the nomad new?

SBrock
    Free Member

You really should go Coil that bike deserves it!

I have been using some 2012 VAN FIT RC2 Kashima 36s for the last 6 months on my SC Butcher and I’m very pleasesd with them, but I here the Marzochhi are even better!

jedi

marz ti 55’s all the way . love in a fork! 🙂

Shorty121
    Free Member

If you worry about maintaining them get some marzochi

seanodav
    Free Member

+1 55 rc3 ti’s

Gooner_Dom
    Free Member

are the ti 55’s 170 though?? Dont really wanna slacken her of anymore than the 67 degree

jedi

10mm??? run more sag

seanodav
    Free Member

2010-2011 are 160mm

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Think the marz EVO is 170 regular or older RC3ti is 160. Everyone who has a new marz loves them, but as they suffer from 2008-09 reputation are not big sellers hence old stock cheap at crc etc.

Stu661
    Free Member

I have a alloy Nomad and now run floats, far better than the talas I had before, don’t worry about the servicing just pop the lowers off after a few months and clean and regresse takes half an hour tops.

I had a pair of TI 55’s in between the talas and floats and found them to be fantastic the only reason I changed to the floats was to save weight, to be fair I can’t see 10mm of travel for the new 55’s making any real difference to the head angle.

Would like to try a pair of Bos ones but have been put off by the service back up.

willber
    Free Member

I run 2012 Fox Talas 36 FIT RLC Kashima on my Nomad – they are fantastic but probably no better than the Marz and at considerable cost. I’m happy with mine but if I was buying I’d get Marz – bang for buck and all that. Take some setting your forks up though – the frame is so stiff that it won’t mask any shortcomings in suspension setup that you might be afforded with an Alu frame

chakaping
    Free Member

What sort of riding are you looking to do?

Stevelol
    Free Member

Devilles, they’re just ace.

gsp1984
    Free Member

I just fitted some float 36 fit RLC forks on my bike.

I love them, replaced my 140mm.

The lyriks dual air are pretty cool for the 160 to 130 adjustment.

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

Just stuck some 160mm coil u-turn Lyriks on a BLT and finding them pretty good so far.

I think I’d be tempted to put lighter, air forks on a carbon bike though.

Northwind

If you don’t want/need height adjust, then 55s. If you do, then Lyrik coils. If you want light then I don’t know 😉

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

I wouldn’t bother with Talas on a Nomad C, I have some 160mm Float RLC’s on mine & it would be a bit odd winding them down to climb.

Service intervals on the Fox’s arn’t bad, dropping the lowers once a month or so to change the oil isn’t hard, and it takes about 10 minutes.

I’d like to try some of the 55’s, but they have a fairly hefty weight penalty against all the Floats, which to be fair are fine. No one top end fork is going to turn you into more of a riding god than another.

I’d like to have tried some BOS, but no stock, no spares & an importer who seems scared of the phone doesn’t bode well for support, plus it’s largely placebo – you don’t see Nico Vouilloz going any slower now he’s riding Fox rather than BOS do you…

Gooner_Dom
    Free Member

gsp1984 – Where you pick uo your floats? How much damage to the pocket?

infidel
    Free Member

Just bought some 1.5 steerer 2010 55rc3ti s from hucknroll in the us – £266!!

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Including vat and import tax or is that still to come?

infidel
    Free Member

Even if you got charged import and VAT they’d still be under £400…

gsp1984
    Free Member

gsp1984 – Where you pick uo your floats? How much damage to the pocket?

I think they were about £800ish from tftuned, I’d have to check the receipt.

I_Ache
    Free Member

I love my Lyrik DPA’s they are sooo bloody smooth. Not tried coil Lyriks but mine are much smoother than my Pike coils.

Having said that I agree with Jedi.

markwalker
    Free Member

iv got fox talas on my nomad c you really dont need to drop the travel, it climbs beautifully inthe 160 travel ,the front end doent really lift on the steepest of climbs .

mrplow
    Free Member

I splashed out on a set of BOS Devilles this year. I can tell you after one ride that they definitely, absolutely, completely and utterly feel like a suspension fork.

I’ll tell you what they are actually like after a good solid 6 months riding on them. 😆

pitcherpro
    Free Member

Lyrik solo airs , if you don’t need travel adjustment .
    Light
    Easy set up
    Fit and forget
    Mine have been faultless 😀

crotchrocket
    Free Member

how about xFusion Vengence (great name) 170mm?

Apparently good things are being said & <600 brand spanking new.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Infidel, curious to hear what result is. I’ve had forks from jenson and got hit (had factored it in) but some sellers try the gift route. Blinding price either way, and bonkers if you avoid the extra charges. The CRC (and wiggle last year) were just over 400, half rrp and half the competition.

messiah
    Free Member

I bought some 2010 55 RC3 ti with 1.5 steerer from CRC a few weeks ago for £350… bargaintastic.

For the weight weenie they were/are 270g more than the 2010 Float RC2 36’s they replaced (now moved to my hardtail).

What can I tell you about the performance… they are smooth… very very smooth. With the Float’s on my FS there was always a certain amount of harshness/feedback no matter if I was running an air rear shock (Push Float R) or a coil (Van or CCDB)… so much so that I tended to run with the Float rear and didn’t think the CCDB was that special. With the Bombers on this changes… the bike now feels much better with the CCDB and the Float R rear makes it feel more harsh.

I’ve also ridden a Deville back-to-back with my Float. The Deville stands up more than the Float and is less prone to dive (I wrote a piece on here about it). I find the Bomber very like the Float in that it dives a bit as part of it’s smoothness… which I like. I did like the Deville… but a friend of mine who is a very hard rider bought a Deville and didn’t get on with it… which worried me a little… it didn’t like the 12ft drop in the local forest 😈

I’m a bargain hunter so when I saw the Bomber at that price I stopped saving for a Deville which I wasn’t 100% sure about… I’m in the honeymoon phase but I’d rather carry the extra 270g of the Bomber than put up with the Float (and if your looking at 2012 36 Floats the 160mm travel has a worse damper than the 180mm, but if you were to reduce the travel on a 180mm to 160mm it would weigh the same as the Ti sprung Bomber… go figure :mrgreen: ).

I’ve not really tried Lyrik’s.

Yetiman
    Free Member

Based on Messiah’s “honeymoon period” feedback I’ve just gone and fitted a set of 55 RC3 Ti’s to my full suss, and tonight will be my first ride on them. They replaced 2009 36 Floats, and before that I had 36 Vans, so I’m looking forward to seeing how the 55’s compare. By all accounts they should feel awesome 😀

jedi

my t1 rc3 55’s are the best for of its kind i have used 🙂

fuzzhead
    Free Member

Used to have Fox VAN RC2s – excellent forks til the damper exploded, but that was 4 years in 🙂
    Had a set of Lyrik RC2DH, but the anodizing wore off the stantions within a month, went back to the shop
    Now running 2011 55 RC3ti – excellent forks, no dramas, just work and work very well. Tons of grip, easy to tune, stiff as f*ck. Recommended 🙂

infidel
    Free Member

crashtest – they were brought over for me on a flight over the weekend and are sitting in my dining room waiting for me to get a new headset top cup fitted. Total and utter bargain to be honest.

At the price they are listed at hucknroll, I’d have had them posted and been willing to accept charges – from the online calculators, I think the duty/VAT would be around £70.

Ed-O
    Free Member

Here are my 55 RC3 Ti Evo forks in action. Best forks I’ve used.

[video]http://vimeo.com/37834317[/video]

infidel
    Free Member

Those of you with the marz-s, how did you go about setting them up please? The instructions are a bit vague!! I’m assuming I use the coil preload to set the sag to 25% or so and try to avoid the air preload?

Ed-O
    Free Member

Yes I just use coil preload on mine. I don’t add any air.

infidel
    Free Member

Thanks Ed. looking forward to trying them out …

bwaarp
    Free Member

Just order the BOS fork direct from BOS. My advice, get a fox or Lyrik and get a coil shock and have it tuned for the push link.

honourablegeorge

Ed-O – Member
    Here are my 55 RC3 Ti Evo forks in action. Best forks I’ve used.

Are they at the full 170mm, Ed?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)

The topic ‘SORRY – 160mm forks again’ is closed to new replies.