Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)
  • Sonder Camino Al – thoughts, feelings, emotions? Pictures?
  • flange
    Free Member

Hello

I’m about at the end of my tether with my ancient Airborne and it’s lack of mounts. I’ve already got a ‘gravel’ bike, so this will be specifically for touring/long distance stuff. I also would like to use both panniers and when the mood takes me I’ll use my bike packing bags too. Built kit wise I’ve got 1×11 shimano and a set of 650b wheels with Horizons fitted so the components are sorted.

So, do you have one? What do you think? Do you have any pictures?

Also – does anyone know the difference between the V1 and V2 frames?

ta!

twicewithchips
    Free Member

I really like mine. I bought it as a full bike: Mk1, cable disks and SRAM 1×11. All day comfortable, although I am not getting on too well with the bars that it came with.

There’s two forks (or at least there was) the full carbon doesn’t have bosses. I can’t see from a quick look what the differences between MK1 and Mk2 are apart from colour, but found the company very helpful, so am sure you’d be able to get that from them easily enough.

Will rummage for pics, although I think I posted on here about it.

Edit: Google better than ‘search’ thread here

jimfrandisco
    Free Member

Can’t quite tell, but assuming no cable stops to allow running a front mech?

mattbee

Wife & I love ours, Mk1 bought as frame only last year. (We pre ordered before first batch landed).
    Hers has 700c wheels & mine has 650b.
    Both run 2x drive trains, full cable routing for front mech inc cable stop (down pull).
    Our forks are carbon with alu steerer. They do have mounts mid leg which I’ve used to fit full mudguards.
    Used for multi day touring with pannier rack & frame luggage, bivvy trips, mixed surface rides on South Downs, New Forest & Dorset as well as around the green ways in Brittany.
    I use mine on the road a lot too as my road bike doesn’t fit proper mudguards.
    Pics of ours in that thread linked above too.

twicewithchips
    Free Member

Oh that’s a good shout Jim. Mine has a cable stop between the chainstay bridge and bottom bracket that isn’t visible in the pics on the site. I see they are just selling 1x builds now.

Also, I realise belatedly that the full carbon fork goes with the Camino Ti.

flange
    Free Member

That’s great, thanks all. Probably should have done a search prior to posting!

I think I might wait for the V2 frame as I prefer the colours.

Does anyone run a front rack?

disco_stu
    Free Member

Whats the weight of Camino al? Thinking of getting a gravel bike but a one-in one-out rule enforcement means I’d have to replace my road bike, I’d look to get 2 sets of wheels for it I think.

jimfrandisco
    Free Member

THanks Mattbee – what 2x chainsets are you running, MTB or Road.
    Ideally i’d (initially anyway) want to build up with a shimano 105 compact crankset, but depends on chainstay clearance.
    cheers

ElShalimo

@flange – I bought a standard spec SRAM Apex1 hydro version in August. I love it. Done about 450km on it so far in very mixed terrain. (I struggle to post images nowadays, my email is in my profile so ping me and I can send you some photos). The flared drops are a revelation and Apex1 system very easy to get used to

@disco-stu – I don’t know the weight but my size XL is definitely not light but it is robust. I went down some dodgy rock and root strewn tracks on it at speed and survived.

the new colours are a lot nicer then the v1 colours. I have the green/grey one and it look sfine apart from the blue flashes. I think I’ll get some 3M black reflective tape to cover them up.

Andy

Camino Ti here. Bought to replace my Kinesis Tripster. Really,really like it. A bit more sturdy/heavy than the Tripster. AFAIK the Alu is identical. Running 2 x 10 on mine with a 105 50/34 chainset, 105 front mech (down pull, cable stop on BB), XT 11-36 cassette and XTR 9 speed rear mech.

Worth emailing Neil at Alpkit if any questions as he is super helpful (PM me for his email if needs).

As far as I know the V2 is the same as V1 but with the new colour.

jimfrandisco
    Free Member

Great – thanks for that info Andy.

twicewithchips
    Free Member

mattbee – what mudguards are you (or I guess really Mrsbee) using?

mines 1x: 40t on the front, and lots of clearance.

I use a harness rather than front rack (Alpkit Joey) but would like to know about rack users too please.

ton

are they pressfit or threaded bb?

Andy

threaded 8)

mattbee

Mine has a SRAM Force & Mrs has 105.
    She’s running some cheap Halfords branded guards, I now have FWE (Evans own brand) guards designed for 26” wheels that work well with the 650b tyres.
    Threaded B.B.
    Built weight of mine with Force/Apex 10 sod double, TRP Spyre brakes Superstar/Pacenti TL28 wheels & Deda cheapish finishing kit is circa 11kg. It’s not mega light by any stretch but I think with lighter wheels & components it could be sub 10kg.

scruff
    Free Member

I’ve been looking at these as my current biketowork deal is nearly paid off. I remember something about a fee being added to the price though.
    Whats the biggest 700c tyre size you can get in with guards?

jimfrandisco
    Free Member

mattbee – my current ‘light’ road bike already weighs over 11kg, so this could even be an improvement on that!

mattbee

Mrs has Schwalbe G One, they are 40mm and there’s plenty of clearance. Think 42mm would be easy if they weren’t too chunky a tread.

antigee

disco_stu – Member
    Whats the weight of Camino al……

Just finishing building one up-weighed frame plus stock al steerer fork on arrival with digital suitcase scale at exactly bang on 2.00kg small size frame
    For me ticked boxes 3 sets bottle mounts, fully external cables, rack capable
    Set up as xt 2x 40,24 and 11,32 on back runs ok in stand – the chainstay design is as ugly as hell but reckon got a lot of clearance there and 105 question answered but might need some water bottle spacers with a 105 mech
    Well thought out had some problems with getting correct headset Alpkit sell them but description was iffy and no link to their product-sorted once got right person but took a while hoping it rides nice

gil_

I was lucky enough to win a frameset at a recent race, sadly it’s a medium and swapping wasn’t an option, so it’s up for sale

Lovely looking frame with carbon forks, well thought out with lots of mounting options

If anyone is interested drop me a message

honourablegeorge

Looking at this frame with interest…. what hub width does it need out back? 135? Can’t find it on site.

mattbee

135mm rear end.

ElShalimo

Here’s some photos from our September campervan trip around Europe (mostly avoiding the blummin rain)

Bavarian pub ride

Virgental ride, Osttirol, Austria

Croatian pre-pub ride

on the Kaiserstuhlweg, Germany. 65 flat kms of cafes and pubs 8)

Lac de Gerardmer, France (pre-pub but post ice-cream)

I really like mine. It’s ideal for mixed terrain especially the tracks you find in the mountainous areas of Europe.

The Restrap frame bag is a revelation. I usually take a bumbag for pump, tube, multitool and bits and pieces, it’s s nice to not have anything on your back but have enough “stuff” to get you home. Size L fits really well inside the XL frame

BoardinBob

Tempted by one of these, however I’ve read Alpkit take a £150 admin fee for cycle to work buyers? Can’t see it on their website but read comments on here. Can anyone confirm or deny?

ElShalimo

BoardinBob – Member
    Tempted by one of these, however I’ve read Alpkit take a £150 admin fee for cycle to work buyers? Can’t see it on their website but read comments on here. Can anyone confirm or deny?

– just phone AlpKit or visit a shop, they’re very friendly and won’t bite (maybe)

kelron
    Free Member

https://www.alpkit.com/support/stickies/cycle-to-work-schemes

They incur additional admin costs for purchases through some cycle to work schemes, and pass these costs on.

I expect the exact cost depends on the scheme and the value of the bike.

jimfrandisco
    Free Member

Anyone with one of these as well/instead of regular road bike – just wondering how they compare.
    I know it’s slacker, more upright etc, but the geo isn’t that far from something like a Giant Defy.
    With the right tyres/bars would you say this is still sporty enough for a fast road ride (or ‘club ride’…whatever they are :wink:)

nstpaul

Just been out on my first ride setting up my V2 rival with 650b WTB 47c Byways set up tubeless.

15 mile loop from house taking in road, fireroad and single track.

First impressions are really good, rolls nicely on these tyres (never checked pressures it came with apart from the thumb test) for me at 85kg, exceedingly comfortable ride on the road compared to my Planet X pro carbon running 25c at 85psi but going to start dropping pressures until find a good compromise as a bit harsh off road.Grip is to be expected offroad with these tyres ie OK as long as you don’t expect miracles in mud.

Riding position actually feels almost the same as my pro carbon surprisingly and this is borne out when looking at them side by side but I do have maximum stem spacers on the pro carbon.

I reckon you could use it as a road bike no bother with 700c wheels and suitable tyres.

1x gearing is fine, never felt that I needed any more, and work as they should.

Not convinced by the flared bars it has come with,not so bad once I swung the hoods outwards to a more conventional ‘road’ position but would like to be able to position them closer to the flat section of the bar like on conventional road drops as I feel my hands are down in front of the bars when riding on the hoods and the bars are putting pressure on the back of my wrists. This is just personal preference, other people may not have a problem.

Came fitted with a negative rise stem which I am going to flip to try to get a slightly higher bar position.

Climbs very well for what I suspect is probably an 11kg bike (large with pedals).

Goes downhill good and handles rooty single track surprisingly well (the flared drops do help with this).

Build quality is good, some nice tube hydroforming? going on that you don’t see in pictures.

Finishing kit is fine for the price point and looks like will last well.

All in happy with the bike, just a few personal tweaks to be made.

Pictures below before and after, looks a lot pinker in pictures than in the flesh, much deeper red/maroon than that.

[/url]IMG_0137[1] by Paul Nicholls, on Flickr[/img]

[/url]IMG_0135[1] by Paul Nicholls, on Flickr[/img]

shermer75
    Free Member

So does any one know the difference between V1 and V2 frames? Is it really just the colour?!? 🙂

andygrinding
    Free Member

@mattbee I’m on the brink of buying the V2 apex Hydraulic version as theres really nothing else available for the same money spec wise.

I’m confused about wheel choice though. I’m tempted by the 650b wheels but worried about the possibility of peddle strike when off road. I know that 650b with big tyres is roughly the same as 700c with skinny road tyres but I think there is around 1″ diameter difference with 650b 37c tyre compared to the 700c 37c option on this bike.

Could you give your thoughts on the potential for pedal strike from the lower BB. Mybe I’m overthinking this but I did read a magazine review where the rider had experienced pedal strike when off roud on a camino even with the 700c option.

http://off.road.cc/content/review/bikes/sonder-camino-al-apex-1-hydraulic-v2-gravel-adventure-bike-1304-review

siwhite
    Free Member

Andy – I’m a Camino Ti owner and have never experienced pedal strike off road. I run 700x42c. If I had my time again, I’d opt for 650b wheels and some whopping tyres for even more comfort – there is negligible rolling loss with bigger, lower pressure tyres. There’s no point having smaller wheels and using low profile tyres…

antigee

Could you give your thoughts on the potential for pedal strike from the lower BB. Mybe I’m overthinking this but I did read a magazine review where the rider had experienced pedal strike when off roud on a camino even with the 700c option.

managed a couple of pedal strikes turning on a heavily cambered and angled cycle path on my Camino Al running 700c on a regular route – used to ride a true cx bike with higher BB (pro6) – no big deal just need to adjust riding style a bit and not be complacent and lazy

andygrinding
    Free Member

Thanks for the help, just what I was looking for 😀

as the next build date for these is the end of July the only question now is should I pre book or wait until August to see if a newer version (2019) is released?

breninbeener

I think there used to be a difference between the fork on the Al and the Ti. im sure the Ti version fork had some more clearance for wider tyres. Im not sure if this is currently the case though.

ElShalimo

Why have my photos disappeared from up there ^^^^  ??

mattbee

Never had any pedal strike issues really. Certainly haven’t noticed a difference in that respect between the 650×47 I run now & the 700×42 I used to use.

andygrinding
    Free Member

Mattbee how do you find those tyres on the tarmac?

If they’re the WTB byways they looked a bit knobbly for my needs. I’m looking for maybe a 38c with a fast centre and grip on the edges. I don’t want to feel like I’m peddling an MTB when on tarmac.

Also Mattbee, what do you like about the 650b over the 700c

finding it difficult to decide. 🤔

mattbee

Horizon not Byway. Really good on tarmac. I run them tubeless at circa 35-40 psi.

They roll well & are comfortable, fine on corners too. Much more ‘secure’ feeling than the 25mm tyres on my road bike on crappy uk roads. Maybe 1-2mph slower average over 40 miles.

They are pretty good off road too with the exception that they are utterly awful in muddy conditions with no traction or steering to speak of!

Overall the 650b seems to be as quick as the 700c G One were, more comfortable on & off road too.

Just not as good in wet/muddy off road conditions but I’ve got a 29er mtb for that

andygrinding
    Free Member

Oops, my bad. Just checked out the tyres section on the Alpkit site and the byways look perfect. Nice and smooth down the centre and grip on the edge.

I’m just gonna go for it.

Camino Al Apex Hydraulic V2 in Tarmac

650b with tubeless WTB byways

😀

saladdodger
    Free Member

Andygrinding  I guess you want to talk to me because 3 weeks ago I recieved a Camino Al Apex hydralic  tarmac coloured with 650b tyres and tubeless byways.

Verdict it was the right move ok so the BB is low but for green lanes and gravel its not an issue lets be fare its not a MTB.

What would I do differently well I would still get the bike no hesitation but I would not of ordered a set of 700c wheels to go with it because I do not think I will use em.

bottom line tis ace

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)

The topic ‘Sonder Camino Al – thoughts, feelings, emotions? Pictures?’ is closed to new replies.