• This topic has 20 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by Dango.
Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • something for Friday night.. surrey hills old skool.. shore time
  • Sui
    Free Member

Shamelessly stolen the link from a mate, but thought it might interest some of the old and new about what was in the surrey hills 15 years ago… Long live the shore!
    Here you go:

Part 1 – http://youtu.be/ItZKFJA2RkA

Part 2 – http://youtu.be/avyiv_evOD4

The freeborn chaps put massive work in on the shore, a lot of the trails ridden now you’ll see what they were originally like. The shore is what the “T” trails are

titusrider
    Free Member

Ahhh nostalgia 🙂 I remember my mate going over the bars on the second drop of double headed dog. Was a tricky one, I never made it to the shore before it got pulled down though…. Never knew where it was, it was mystically referred to but without strava to reference I never found it!

Sui
    Free Member

Yes a sad ending to the shore, so much hard work, so much fun. It’s amazing to see Ho much coffin drop has changed too. Forgot to mention there is about 20secinds of Tilgate in the second video… I want to go back to them days seemed more fun somehow..

dropoff

Was riding how it should be

mattjg
    Free Member

I think I remember that stuff tho I’ve forgotten where it was. Not my bag but good to see people doing what they love all the same.

It was about that time I started riding, it’s good to be reminded it was no less fun than today.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Amusing, still some evolved trails ridden now.

Kinda glad I didn’t ride back then, I’d probably have arthritis of the neck with all those flat landings 🙂

bubs

The shore was amazing. I could only ever ride the low and straight stuff, some of the higher drops were mental (at least to me on my old Marin). The other trails did all seem to be more ‘natural’ and less trail centre’y then due to the lack of traffic and 100mm bikes made them fun. Saying that, some of the newer stuff on a quite summer evening on a bike with brakes and suspension that actually works is pretty hard to beat. Roll on summer…

Sui
    Free Member

Defo no less fun..

Sui
    Free Member

There’s a scene where a chap crashed into a tree on coffin drop, just the left of that there was another line that needed more of a huck. One day I was up there and a chap who was a rear break down hucked it, screwed it and crashed into a tree he got up oddly ok until we asked to look at his arm, he had bones sticking out…

Mbnut
    Free Member

Enjoyed that… thanks.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Long before I even got off a road. Been in the area since back then but just thought it was pleasant hills and woods people went walking about in 😀

Nice to see everything is just as rideable with bikes of minimal travel and technology. No skills compensators there (and plenty of skills) 😉

Have to say on the traffic though, even around 2008/2009 when I first hit the hills, it was all still relatively quiet. Head on into the hills and you’d get lost and never see anyone other than some walkers for the whole day.

WaywardRider
    Free Member

I remember that stuff esp just down from high ashes farm. Some of it I could manage most not though.

A little more contemporary – dare I mention Redlands and North Shore…

Everything so much more sanitized now and still they moan about gap jumps challenging their pedestrian ambitions. No 5k rigs in the vids, to paraphrase Lance (Armstrong), ‘it’s not about the bike’.

MrSmith
    Free Member

When I think back to riding around there then I rember how there was always somebody off with a collar bone/scaphoid/rib/wrist*
    *delete as appropriate
    Recognised some trees that bubba and hora hugged.
    #halcyondays

Sui
    Free Member

Lol at Mrsmith was just thinking that 🙂

deadkenny
    Free Member

WaywardRider – Member
    I remember that stuff esp just down from high ashes farm

Have always wondered if there used to be stuff there. Always looks like it has potential, but fenced off. If it’s where I’m thinking.

WaywardRider
    Free Member

Just down greensand way past high ashes. on the left and right of the trail. Must have been flattened 10/12 years ago. Some of it very high but there was also some lower level doable ns that I could manage. Never did learn why it got flattened. Usual H&S fabricated reasons I suppose.

njee20
    Free Member

Remember the shore stuff well, so much effort clearly went into it.

Not sure about all this ‘no skill compensation’, they’re still on 6″ travel bikes with triple clamp forks in the main! Bar the guy on the blue Kona who binned it coming down from Leith Hill tower 😉

There used to be a great trail below High Ashes, we called it Rhododendron Run, peeled off to the right where the gate is and dropped back onto the bridleway just above the road.

mattjg
    Free Member

There used to be a great trail below High Ashes, we called it Rhododendron Run, peeled off to the right where the gate is and dropped back onto the bridleway just above the road.

Used to love that trail, very tight tree shimmies I recall. I still keep a nostalgic eye for the exit when passing down there.

hora
    Free Member

The long hot Summer of 2003 😀

mattjg
    Free Member

Nostalgia ain’t what it used to be.

Dango
    Free Member

Awesome, those were the days where it didn’t matter what you rode or how you rode it, Strava didn’t exist and few people had POV cameras. It was just sketchy fun and crashes

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘something for Friday night.. surrey hills old skool.. shore time’ is closed to new replies.