Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Solving the waterproof flat pedal shoe conundrum
  • chestercopperpot
    Free Member

So most of the boots/shoes offered to us proles from the MTB apparel gods are in a word shite and expensive shite to boot.

I’m thinking something like these or the shoe version. Look solid with a flatish sole and come in stealth black! Wack tyre novelty branding bollocks aside.

I know those Adidas Terrex Skychaser GTX are well regarded but what else?

Stainypants

In winter I use Fabric Gortex Brasher walking boots not the most styling but work great and stick to the pedals fine.

doorag
    Free Member

What is so **** hard about making warm, dry flats? If walking boots achieve this then it’s surely a case of transferring a few features across for being on pedals instead of the ground?
    MTB gear is utter crap. Everything that i have bought for biking is mega expensive, supposedly because it’s designed to function at the demand level put on it. Bollocks it does. Everything has fallen apart. Stitching on shorts wears through, then they call it wear and tear despite charging £70 for a pair of shorts that incorporate high performing materials to deal with the conditions biking puts them under. My jacket (Altura) doesn’t breathe, gets waterlogged, but looks…bikey, so it costs £150!!!!
    My FiveTens are freezing in winter and not waterproof despite being the elements version and cost £100, just for a stiff sole that grips when spikes are pushed into it!!!
    We should boycott the bullshit until they stop charging scene tax and make things that work as they claim they do AND LAST….and offer things not in fluorescent yellow with big words emblazoned across everything.
    Rant over..

roverpig

Vaude Moab STX AM Mid. But of a mouthful, but no complaints so far.

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

@ doorag – I think you may have fluffed your chances of being a brand ambassador.

garage-dweller

I find my 5-10s are ok but you need some waterproof socks in them (preferably with something cotton inside) and they need drying time. Also you need longs that come over the top so water doesn’t run down into them.
    However I could go for something more winter friendly like the ops suggestion assuming they’re cheap enough!

cozz
    Free Member

i use flats in winter and wear an old pair of alt berg boots

whatyadoinsucka
    Free Member

Get an Adidas terrex gtx shoe or join the world of the clip in / SPD.

Northwave Celsius boots ( £100 wiggle, size up for winter) , thick waterproof sealskinz
    And some m520 £18 or m540 pedals .
    Best way to keep your feet warm, not always dry.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

What is so **** hard about making warm, dry flats? If walking boots achieve this then it’s surely a case of transferring a few features across for being on pedals instead of the ground?

Walking boots so have the problem of water down the legs. They solve that with trousers/gater etc. Take a look at proper winter SPD shoes, cuffs, velcro etc and they still don’t keep all the water out. Best solution is good socks and whatever shoes dry quicker.

cnud
    Free Member

5/10 guide tennie mid gtx and a pair of Endura Singletrack trousers for the last 2 years add some dirty girl gaiters if lots of standing water. Not been wet or cold yet. Fingers crossed.

cookeaa

Unfortunately ‘resole’ who used to stick the dotty sticky rubber used on 5-tens to any shoes seem to have gone bust…

Waterproof Walking boots with grippy rubber soles fitted might have been what the OP wanted…

Edit:

nope I just got the URL wrong.

£45 for better soles then…

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Freerider elements, knee high sealskinz below, and merino bridgedale socks below that. Teh awsumz……

MarkE25

I use inov8 roc lite gtx boots and find them really good. Grip pedals well and are also much better for walking in the mud with than 5.10s. I wear short gaiters if it’s really wet to stop the water running down into the boot.

doorag
    Free Member

I contacted Fiveten a while back about tweaking the Guide Tennie for biking. They just saud they were releasing the Freerider EPS, which still don’t quite cut it according to those who’ve reviewed them.
    I think a biking version of a gaitor would do it. I know overshoes exist but mainly for SPD’s.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Solving the waterproof flat pedal shoe conundrum’ is closed to new replies.