• This topic has 20 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by Goz.
Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Solo night riding (again) FOD vederers
  • v666ern
    Free Member

will i be eaten by the boars…i’ve been before and only saw deer but my other half has put it in my head that the beasties will eat me 😯

ive seen a dead one before at a local shoot hanging from the eaves of a shed with its nose on the ground and im not sure i can outrun it 😳

bullandbladder
    Free Member

They’ll rip you to pieces!

number562554
    Free Member

I met a group of boar by Mallard’s Pike in the dark.. they scattered. I’ve met some in daylight that looked up for a fight if I took a step nearer.

devs
    Free Member

Take a jar of apple sauce and wave it at them. Sorted.

psling
    Free Member

Be careful out there. I’ve been killed to death twice by them now. And once by a badger. Animals they are I tell thee, animals… 😯

v666ern
    Free Member

you lot are really helping me convince the mrs! 😆

riding with a shotgun could be fun though (sorry i dont have a rifle license!)

is there really that many in that valley though, i thought they were more parkend to ruspridge way? ❓

widge34
    Free Member

They are all over the FOD and through Staunton and into the woods at Monmouth. Startled four a few months ago. Three heard me coming and ran off in opposite direction, fourth didn’t hear me and ran when other three ran, but it ran straight towards me, I was biking up hill at the time, so couldn’t of out run it. Luckily when it finally saw me it stopped and turned around. Quite frightening when they are running at you. They can be quite a size. Boar can run fast and also jump quite high. There is plenty of evidence of Boar around the Verderers from the mooted up soil, but have yet to see any up there. They are more scared of us than us scared of them. So relax and enjoy the ride.

v666ern
    Free Member

that should do it! 🙂

psling
    Free Member

They can also swim (they cross the River Wye) and are pretty intelligent (a local gamekeeper has seen a boar stand against a wall to allow other boar to use him as a step to cross the wall!).

Having said that they’re as blind as bats, nervous of humans and, although everyone has seen signs of them rooting up the verges, very few people actually see them.

Just don’t run a dog with you; they will stand and defend themselves against dogs.

v666ern
    Free Member

do they like cats…i could run a cat…or at least run away whilst there eating the cat 😆

whiter74
    Free Member

Hopefully your lights will scare them off early enough 🙂

widge34
    Free Member

The only time they may be aggressive is when they have young.

DT78
    Free Member

Came across a family of them a couple of years ago on the fodca, with piglets, they just all ran off when I came round the corner, looked very cute

psling
    Free Member

widge34 – Member
    They are all over the FOD and through Staunton and into the woods at Monmouth. Startled four a few months ago. Three heard me coming and ran off in opposite direction, fourth didn’t hear me and ran when other three ran, but it ran straight towards me…

Hey, Damian, if that was in Highmeadow area the beggars were into our fields a few months ago. Didn’t see them but they did a fair bit of damage. Set traps but didn’t catch any. They’d moved on after about 3 days.

robere3
    Free Member

I would be more scared of the inbreds taking advantage of your bottom than I would be of the boar

this taken from experience i am from cheddar

v666ern
    Free Member

little sad it took this long for the inbred jokes! (Ex drybrook mucker)

Psling what size trap did you use 😯 i imagine a larsen trap wouldnt really cut it!

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

Most of the boar have now bought 10″ travel rigs and stick to the orange runs, you’ll be fine on Verderers, except maybe at the bottom near Sheep Skull exit.

Naturally though, there is a niche singlespeed group that may approach you for attention but they will obviously make sure you know they are coming.

Dimmadan
    Free Member

Top plan that, may head down one night myself. You should be more worried about the badgers!

TheSwede
    Free Member

Tell the boars you are friends with the bear 😯

widge34
    Free Member

“Hey, Damian, if that was in Highmeadow area the beggars were into our fields a few months ago. Didn’t see them but they did a fair bit of damage. Set traps but didn’t catch any. They’d moved on after about 3 days.”

Pete. It was the climb back out of Billy’s track. The track we were talking about yesterday with the large rolling slab rock. Turn right out of Billy’s and the climb brings you onto the fire road to climb on up to the Ridge.

Goz
    Free Member

Met the Boars a few years ago all riding singlespeeds…. 😆

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Solo night riding (again) FOD vederers’ is closed to new replies.