Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Solaris vs Soul – help me decide please
  • thedon
    Free Member

Since buying a retro Kona and riding fully rigid its made me realise how boring my full suspension bike makes everything, my local trials aren’t exactly challenging and an FS makes them even less so, which for me makes it a lot less fun. Generally its a mixture of tight singletrack and general cross country missions out in the sticks.

I’ve decided to sell the FS frame and buy a hardtail, I like the look of the Solaris and Soul (owned one previously), I’m just having trouble deciding which one.

I’ve got decent parts on my FS and if I bought a Soul they would swap over apart from the seat post and f/mech. For a Solaris I would need forks and wheels etc, but the extra 10mm in the TT would fit me better and I can see the benefits of big wheels on a HT

Obviously demoing a Solaris would be idea, but I can’t find anyone local so its out of the question.

How does it compare to the Soul? I want to get the best idea I can before deciding. Does the Solaris handle tight singletrack well? Is it still flickable like a Soul? I expect it to be a bit slower but I don’t want it to be too compromised.

Any input that would make my decision easier would be appreciated, thanks.

bikeneil
    Free Member

Depends where you are. My lbs has a medium solaris demo bike.

bachebrotherscycles.co.uk

danti

Having had both a Soda and a Solaris I’d say a Solaris, I’m 5’11” on a medium Solaris running a 55mm stem which keeps the handling nice and tight. You do have to “work” the bike a little more through tight switchback stuff but the extra speed you can carry along and down more than make up for this work. You don’t feel the bumps as much so it’s a comfier ride and you don’t feel as beat up after a long ride.

Also due to better traction of a larger footprint I find I can clean climbs now the weathers turning that the Soda may struggle with.

As you say demo one if possible.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    metalheart
    Free Member

DSC_0402 by Metalheart-UK, on Flickr

Sometimes its difficult to make a decision…

Somewhat unsurprisingly they do ride different. Soul is ‘quicker’ but Solaris rolls better. I don’t find it too compromised, just needs a bit more body movement in the tight stuff. once you get used to it it doesn’t really feel that much different to me… As others have said, always good to get a test ride (but I ordered mine on spec)

If you like 29ers, all good, its a cracking bike. Definitely comfier.

But if you fancy re-using the 26er bits and bobs the Soul is also a cracking bike. But I’d be less inclined if your forks aren’t 120mm as IMHO that’s the best height.

Then you just need to decide what you actually want…

bikeneil
    Free Member

That’s odd because I find my Solaris much ‘quicker’ and comfier than the Soul it replaced. I had 660mm bars on the Soul and have 740mm on the Solaris. They feel as nimble as each other. The Solaris rolls much better and obviously absorbs bumps bettet. They are both great bikes.
    Although, looking at 26″ wheels now I can’t see how they don’t just fall down every hole on the trails…

thedon
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies so far. I’ve managed to get a test ride on a Solaris at Kinetic Cycles in Hitchin, a very helpful chap.

The demo bike is a large and I’m 5’11” with a 32″ inseam. I prefer a long TT so I’m guessing a large with a short stem would be a better bet to keep the steering quick rather than a medium with an 80mm stem?

How tall are you Metalheart and what size do you have? Nice collection by the way!!!

Edit: I previously had a medium Soul with an 80mm stem which it felt too short for me and gave me back ache.

bikeneil
    Free Member

I’m 5′ 11″ and wouldn’t ride anything bigger than a medium.

ononeorange

Similar to metalheart above – I have a large Solaris and a large Soul (and a Simple!). They are different as noted and expected, the Soul is huge fun as you know and it throws around well.

I bought the Solaris second-hand to dip a toe into the clown-wheeled world, and expected it to struggle on my local riding of tight turns around trees etc, but it has managed surprisingly well. I took it to the Quantocks and went round first time on a very steep technical corner that I had never been able to get close to riding on the Soul – no idea how that happened. It’s not as “lively” but still a great ride. The biggest issue I have with the Solaris is it makes me feel weird for the first 5 minutes when back on 26″!

So the 26 vs 29er argument in microcosm – they are different but neither is better.

As for sizing, I can’t help as I’m 6’2″ and the large sizes are perfect for me.

Hope that helps

danti

I’m also 5’11” with a 31″ inseam and certainly wouldn’t want anything bigger than a medium, with 700mm + bars on it also helps stretch your riding position.

thedon
    Free Member

Paul from Cotic has recommended a large with a short stem for my height. Really looking forward to test riding one now!

MoreCashThanDash

I’m 5’9″ and Paul suggested I go for a small Solaris. Sadly my wife is adamant I should stick with my medium Soul….

Frankers
    Free Member

I owned and loved a Soul and then bought one of the 1st green Solaris

I like both bikes but now prefer 29″ bikes so sold all my 26″

Either way you’ll be happy

I’m 6′ and ride a large with 70mm stem, medium would be too small for me

ononeorange

thedon – where are you based, btw?

thedon
    Free Member

A large with a 60mm stem will be the same as my current bike with an 80mm stem (which is spot on), I have ape arms and shortish legs.

Ononeorage – I live in Edenbridge but we have family in Hatfield so I can demo when visiting.

Would anyone be kind enough to measure the standover on their large for me please? It would help me out a lot!

ononeorange

OK – was going to offer mine but I didn’t read your post very well above! I am Chilterns based if you have any problems (and from Tonbridge originally, too!).

Bregante

The Solaris is the best hardtail I’ve ever ridden. 6’1 and a bit here on a large and it fits me perfectly but I’m running a 40 mm stem. Could probably have gone to a medium too. Never ridden a Soul but by all accounts they’re ace too. I just prefer a 29er hardtail. I’ve got serious envy of metalhearts bike collection!

mrmoofo

6ft 3 inch here – and just bought a XL solaris
    I have a L soul – and it is too cramped (okay, it has taken years to realise that )
    But an L BFe feels just fine ….

metalheart
    Free Member

To the OP: sorry, forgot to check back on this.

I’m a smidge under 6′, 33.5″ inseam and they are all mediums. Stems are 65 on Solaris and 70 on the Soul. Perfect for for me. The soul started off at 90 but with 645 bars. Gradually got shorter & wider. It felt at its limit for a start.

Solaris is 10 mm longer (ETT) if iirc. If you like a long top tube (and Cotic recommend the L) then I’d go with that. Cy was adamant the med was my size and I went with it.

swanny853

I’m 5’9″, heading towards 5’10” if I’m overdue for a haircut and I’d say I’m probably a good middle ground for the medium. That’s with a 55mm stem and 740 bars, although they will probably be coming in a bit.

matther01
    Free Member

Nearly bought a Solaris before opting for the Soul. Jumpy twisty singletrack fun all day long and without forking for new wheels and forks.

alandavidpetrie79
    Free Member

I’m 6′ 3″ – 34″ inside leg & ride an XL Solaris.

It is such a great all-rounder! I sold my SC Nomad, now just use the Solaris, suits the riding I do so much better.

Sticking with it for a while yet.

Only thing id swap it for is a 2souls QH, but they are silly money! (Nice tho…….)

Im sure you won’t disappointed with either, my mate had a Soul & loved it.

oxym0r0n

5’11.5 here and on a medium, 80mm stem, 710 bars… (Solaris)

Edit: tried a large with a shorter stem and it just felt a little bit unwieldy IMHO

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Solaris vs Soul – help me decide please’ is closed to new replies.