Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 113 total)
  • *Solar Storm X2* *Cree XM-L T6* *Hope Vision 4* *Fenix L2D Rebel* Roundup
  • cruzcampo
    Free Member

Evening guys, took the full arsenal out tonight for a comparison.

All lumens claimed…

Solar Storm X2 – 2000Lm
    CREE XM-L T6 – 1600Lm
    Hope Technology Vision 4 – 960Lm
    Fenix L2D Rebel – 175Lm

Hope Technology Vision 4 >

Solar Storm X2 >

Helmet mounted Solar Storm X2 >

Left to Right, Decathlon V100 LED, Fenix L2D Rebel, Cree XM-L T6 >

powered up >

Charge light on Solar Storm X2 >

cruzcampo
    Free Member

Decathlon V100 LED, good for being seen on the road between trails, but no off road illumination >

Fenix L2D Rebel low power >

Fenix L2D Rebel high power >

Hope Vision 4 low power >

Hope Vision 4 high power >

CREE XM-L T6 low power >

CREE XM-L T6 high power >

Solar Storm X2 low power >

Solar Storm X2 medium power >

Solar Storm X2 high power >

Solar Storm X2 with Solar Storm X2 helmet light combined >

Solar Storm X2 with Solar Storm X2 helmet light combined on the canal >

Solar Storm X2 charge remaining, after 1.5 hour ride

I used to rate the single fenix as a great bang for buck night riding torch, but compared to the latest offerings it simply pales into insignificance. The Hope vision 4 from 2008 was well received at the time, with plenty of spread and light output, with a fantastic finish, but expensive at £299.

The Cree XM-L T6 was a huge development, vast light and long throw, to the trail for less than £25, no reason to splash out on expensive lights.

The Solar Storm X2 ups the ante again and floods the entire trail with a crisp pure white. Even on medium its impressive. Great run time, compact, and a wide spread. I honestly can’t see a reason to buy anything else. Run one on the helmet and paired together its off the charts, and the pictures don’t do it justice either 😯

cloudnine
    Free Member

What batteries are you using with the x2?

Northwind

Very good, thanks!

grum
    Free Member

X2 looks great – still waiting for mine to arrive a few weeks after ordering from Lightmalls.

cruzcampo
    Free Member

@cloudnine default batteries which came with it from Fasttech. Until they break/shine time reduces drastically i’ll run them into the ground.

cruzcampo
    Free Member

Forgot to mention heat output, the Hope and XM-L get very warm, hot sometimes, especially on high beam, the Solar Storm X2 stays cool even when stationary.

My Solar Storm would melt the sun if it got too close stood still on full power!

_daveR
    Free Member

Thanks for this. I ordered a solar storm after seeing another of your posts yesterday. Think I definitely need one to helmet mount too.

cp

same shutter speed ISO and aperture for all those pics?

muddy247
    Free Member

Does anyone know the charge time for the Solar Storm? Mine came with no instructions!

swavis

I’ve been very impressed with my solarstorm, soooo much better than my old Ay-ups. X2 on the bars and an Ay-Up on the lid seems perfect.

I haven’t totally discharged mine but it was around 3-4 hours to recharge.

cruzcampo
    Free Member

@cp pics taken on galaxy s3. So no control of shutter speed. I could use my dslr but adjusting shutter speeds wouldn’t make a fair comparison. The pics have come out very accurate.

darkslider
    Free Member

Definitely going to get one (or two!) of the solarstorms after seeing the comparison to my T6 which I thought was the dogs danglies only last year.

cp

but adjusting shutter speeds wouldn’t make a fair comparison

that’s the idea – you don’t adjust them so that they are directly comparable, which the DSLR will allow but S3 wont. Your S3 will be adjusting them, so the comparisons aren’t directly comparable, though it does look to have done a good job of adjusting to represent the actual light levels.

Anyway, good effort – for the money the solar storm does look good. I’m tempted!

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

Nice roundup.

I’ve got two fenix L2D torches. They’re utterly outclassed by the latest crees.

Soon to be relegated to general purpose torchery duties, and as backups.

However, they do take AAs, which I have about a million of.

bellefied
    Free Member

how long have these solar storm x2 been around? Any thoughts on the battery life, will it melt after a couple of months or is it a robust build? Also is the battery waterproof (in the rain rather than at the bottom of a canal)?

AlexSimon

Does the Solarstorm light unit attach to the old single XML battery pack?
    Or an old Bastid (p7) battery pack? (the XML and Bastid have different connectors)

dukeduvet

Thanks for this. The solarstorm seems really impressive. Wish mine would hurry up!

nickjb
    Free Member

Mine has just arrived impressively bright and compact. Battery will need extra waterproofing but that will be easy and it’ll swap for a similar battery. Forecast not looking good for a test ride tonight, though.

zippykona

Just bought a set from Australia for £21 quid. Even if they don’t turn up, for that price it’s not the end of the world.

justinbieber

Your beam pattern for the Solarstorm looks totally different to mine, which is much more of a spot. Have you modded yours in any way?

zippykona

When I think back to my old lumicycles and how one Fenix torch was as good as them. £200 pound they cost and used to blow bulbs left right and centre.
    Currently got magicshine 872. Shall see how these compare.
    If they’re no good I shall rig up a bolt on bracket ,put the battery in a bottle and leave them on my commuter.

yanis79
    Free Member

Where did you buy the strap/kit to mount the Solar Storm X2 to your helmet, as the fasttech light doesnt seem to come with this?

http://www.fasttech.com/products/0/10003977/1285800-solarstorm-x2-cree-xm-l-u2-4-mode-2000-lumen-led-b

swavis

justinbieber – Member
    Your beam pattern for the Solarstorm looks totally different to mine, which is much more of a spot. Have you modded yours in any way?

Mine is the same as the pic above Jimmy and I’ve not modded it in any way.

trickydisco
    Free Member

has anyone ordered the solar x3? If the x2 is bright the x3 will be crazy

cruzcampo
    Free Member

@ Justin where did you get yours? I have a feeling there are different copies of solar storms for sale. I’ve seen three different versions of the xml t6 on the trails. Some very poorly made. Im not sure which company produces the original genuine solar storm, if that even exists.

Mine are unmodded.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

Double the price of an X2 though = less LED for your money.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

i read somewhere that you can replace the lens (and reflectors?)

Just got mine yesterday, untried so far, but seems neat. Cost £19.06. Do I win? 🙂

cruzcampo
    Free Member

@ tricky I’m really tempted by one of those!!! The mind boggles how bright it would be.

cruzcampo
    Free Member

Bandito where from? Put some pics up of the light itself, that’s cheap!

cruzcampo
    Free Member

@yanis the helmet mount is sticky backed velcro! With a few zipties for anti tree branch protection lol

@nick I water proof the battery pack with a small food plastic bag, then put velcro pouch over that

@alex the xml t6 battery works fine, but the screw fitting doesnt work so a bit of masking tape around the joint keeps it connected. A handy backpack spare I guess 😀

grum
    Free Member

Cost £19.06. Do I win?

Mine was under £15. 🙂

(no battery though, and I still haven’t got it 🙁 ).

Just read some very dodgy stuff about lightmalls too. 🙁

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Pics later if I get a chance.
    For £19.06, i got the full set – light, battery, holster, 2 o-rings, charger etc. I did have to buy 10 sets mind you, from a seller on alibaba, so a bit of a risk. Took just under 2 weeks from payment to delivery. One of the lights is faulty – only one LED works, so it’ll be interesting to see how i get a replacement…
    Charger is US plug. Does anyone know if there’ll be any ill-effects using the charger that came with my Hope lights? Connectors are the same size.

justinbieber

@cruzcampo – I got mine from here: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/200959831751?var=500183329081&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649
    They say solarstorm on the top but as you say, is there even such a thing as a genuine Solarstorm!

grum
    Free Member

Poeple with the nice floody beam – where did you order yours from?

swavis
    flatpat
    Free Member

Anyone got this one from DX?

The battery pack looks better (actually encased).

Other thought was – does anywhere do the head unit on it’s own?

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

Lightmills sells the head unit alone for six pounds less.

flatpat
    Free Member

Cheers Mr Finger – I’ve ordered the Lightmalls head unit.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 113 total)

The topic ‘*Solar Storm X2* *Cree XM-L T6* *Hope Vision 4* *Fenix L2D Rebel* Roundup’ is closed to new replies.