Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • So… whose already caved and fitted mud guards?
  • cloudnine
    Free Member

Looking at the forecast it could be an early start with guards then….

TrailriderJim
    Free Member

I run a fork mudguard 365 now. When the ground starts to saturate then it’s time for a downtube guard. Don’t bother with a rear – too fugly and prone to snapping / catching on arse.

zippykona

Me,me!
    Last year I managed the holy grail of full suss, full guards. So this year I’ve kept my “best “Mount Vision for winter duties and built this up mostly from the classifieds and PSAs.
    It’s for my winter off road commute and on seeing the forecast for last week built it up earlier in the year than expected.

Edit my “best ” one has guards as well!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    aa
    Free Member

Yes, thought exactly the same thing when I looked at the forecast earlier. Mudguards are fitted…

eddiebaby
    Free Member

I use the SKS stuff as featured in this weeks Fresh Good s Friday. Attaches to the susser in seconds. Even works with my lefty.

shermer75
    Free Member

eddiebaby – Member
    I use the SKS stuff as featured in this weeks Fresh Good s Friday. Attaches to the susser in seconds. Even works with my lefty.

I missed that. Got a link?

trail_rat
    Free Member

i never take the guards off my commuter/winter roadie – if the weathers shite i just take that out.

for mtb i just use the singlespeed rigid most of the time and that doesnt care about the weather.

soma_rich
    Free Member

Wish I had fitted guards to my road bike before this morning deluge! Might put them on tonight looking at the forcast 🙁

asdfhjkl
    Free Member

Living in Scotland, the fork guard is a permanent fixture. Given the summer we’ve had, the rear crud catcher would be too, if I didn’t lose it a few months ago.

alexpalacefan

Got ’em on my commuter and MTB all year round. There’s still water on the trail, or the occasional downpour, and it’s nice not to have a wet arse.

APF

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Wait, I was supposed to take them off? Much spanner bother…

Drac

Wait, was I supposed to fit them?

iainc

yep, 25 degress and windy sunshine, but trails absolutley sodden yesterday :

binners

AAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!!!! – MY EYES!!!!!!

zippykona – as its a Monday morning you really should give us some warning before posting up pictures of something so fugly, fella

Drac

Call me old fashioned buy I thought the idea was to have the guard as close to the tyre as possible as the spray can’t spread out. Having it well above your tyre is just stopping part of it if any at all.

zippykona – as its a Monday morning you really should give us some warning before posting up pictures of something so fugly, fella

I reckon 2 days notice is good enough.

iainc

Drac – I’d agree, but in my case very limited by dropper, so a mucky nutz ass guard is slightly better than nowt – it keeps the grinding paste off the saddle at least

mcnultycop

I can’t bring myself to fit guards.

Alex

I tried that Muckynutz rear guard and thought it was useless. Too flexy. I just ordered a new mud hugger race front for my hardtail Other bikes already have them fitted. Just deciding which bike gets the f-ugly but very effective MH rear guard..

trail_rat
    Free Member

function over form – as an engineer i can appreciate that. as a designer your probably strugling binners.

iainc

I tried that Muckynutz rear guard and thought it was useless. Too flexy.

yeah, it’s quite poor, but certainly better IMO than none at all, and it’s handy when running a dropper with not much collar showing above seat tube. I have tried many other bodges and settled on this for now.

cheshirecat
    Free Member

Front crud guard and fork guard stay on all year. Just refitted the rear crud guard after a sodden ride on Saturday. Was only off for a month or two 🙁

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Fork guard all year for me these days. Rear guards are more problematic, being much less stable, getting in the way, frequently breaking and looking crap.

torsoinalake
    Free Member

Given the current weather, I am debating a wetsuit and snorkel over guards.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

I never fit rear mudguards on the mtb , kind of pointless in my opinion but hey ho.

funkweasel
    Free Member

Yeah I got a front/rear Mudhugger – seem to work really well. I CAN wash mud off my clothes… and all over my bike – but I don’t really want to.

Mostly it’s to keep the worst of it off my seatpost/rear shock – and the front forks… in that regard, they work great.

ThePinkster

Mine are permanently fitted. Don’t see the point in removing them in the UK as the weather’s so variable the whole year round these days.

Seems a bit daft taking them off for 2 or 3 weeks a year.

Northwind

Mine almost always have a front guard fitted- little bender fender, or big SKS shockboard mudcanoe. Not really a comfort thing, more about visibility. Rears aren’t so simple, if only because of fitment issues and because they’re not really as commonly helpful but I still like ’em

Alex

[url=https://flic.kr/p/qoY7Lz]Frozen Pyga…[/url] by Alex Leigh, on Flickr

Not the best photo, but shows how close the MH gets to the tyre. They do different specs now depending on your swing-arm design. I hate the look of it but not as much as getting a wet, muddy arse 10 minutes into a 3 hour ride! Had crud guards before but useless on dropper posts and too far from the tyre really.

Oh when the instructions says ‘make sure you helitape the areas where the cable ties go’ they aren’t joking 😉

zippykona

AAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!!!! – MY EYES!!!!!!

soobalias
    Free Member

mudhugger front, crud catcher rear fitted to the hardtail for this weeks thursday night ride
    summer tyres are staying till october tho

you will thank me next week when we start out indian summer.

swan0mighty
    Free Member

anyone know what guards that is in the first pic?

allfankledup

Road bike has guards on having ridden for a mile through slurry a week or so back. Never again, until next autumn at least

13thfloormonk

Crudguards on the road bike now, debated long and hard about using Cyclescheme to get a winter road bike but realised I was flattering myself, I’m not winter-hardcore enough to need a dedicated bike 😳

I’ve already christened the crudguards Flappy and Scrapey, although bizarrely the bike feels quicker with them fitted, trying to figure out if there could possibly be any aero benefit to really close fitting mudguards, can’t imagine it.

edit: and for the record it’s not rained once since I fitted them…

DiscJockey
    Free Member

err..just seen that this was posted a month ago….and hasn’t it been really dry since then, apart from one or two wet mornings ?

alexh
    Free Member

Last Wednesday I caved in for my commute

jam-bo

Crudguards on the road bike now, debated long and hard about using Cyclescheme to get a winter road bike but realised I was flattering myself, I’m not winter-hardcore enough to need a dedicated bike
    I’ve already christened the crudguards Flappy and Scrapey, although bizarrely the bike feels quicker with them fitted, trying to figure out if there could possibly be any aero benefit to really close fitting mudguards, can’t imagine it.

Crud guards were awful on my secteur. Binned them after a couple of weeks. Just fitted SKS raceblades, a huge improvement.

zippykona

anyone know what guards that is in the first pic?

The mudguards are any wide ones ,it’s the donor mounts you need. The rear mudguard is fixed to a zefal no mudguard. The front is attached to a to peak defender.

13thfloormonk

Crud guards were awful on my secteur. Binned them after a couple of weeks. Just fitted SKS raceblades, a huge improvement.

Ha, interesting, I had one set of raceblades and got shot of them quickly. That was a few years ago though, they might be better now or they maybe weren’t any worse than the Cruds in the first place.

Either way, the Cruds have got great coverage and seem so flexible that they just bounce back into shape after you rattle across a rough section. Very tight with 25s though…

sirromj

I knew if I fitted my full mudguards to the MTB commute it would stop raining so I simply intended to fit them and that was enough.

damascus
    Free Member

I didn’t remove my mudguards this year from my commuter bike. 1st time I’ve not done it. I’m either getting older, cba or had no faith in the great British weather this year.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘So… whose already caved and fitted mud guards?’ is closed to new replies.