Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)
  • so who's left a job they hated recently?
  • badnewz
    Free Member

and if so, has it been a positive move.

thought it was about time we had another of these threads.

IHN

I finish here on the 17th September. I wouldn't say I hate it, but after 11 years it's pretty much run it's course.

Whether it'll be a positive move, we'll see.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

YES! ME! Well it was almost exactly a year ago now, and I definitely made the right move!

I'm happier, fitter, healthier, I can have a cup of coffee at my desk. I no longer have to wear a ridiculous set of white overalls or steel toe caps or work in an office with no natural light for upto 16 hours a day.

Ahh 'the power of dreams'!

Pigface
    Free Member

Last day tomorrow, can't say I hate this job but it is not waht I thought it was going to be. 80% of the people are great and the 20% that are dicks dont bother me that much.

goldenwonder
    Free Member

I left one I really enjoyed as manager in my LBS, to work for myself doing something completely different. Very hard decision but definitely the right one. So leaving a job you hate, there's no question surely?

alpinegirl
    Free Member

Well I've told them I'm leaving in a few months and that itself has been enough to cheer me up massively (if I left now I'd be messing around a few people and end up feeling guilty for ages). Can't tell you if it's been positive yet but I'm planning a 3 month bike tour for afterwards which can't be a bad thing…unless I crash on the first day or something.

PJM1974
    Free Member

I left a job I hated four years ago, working for an accountancy firm run by a group of aspergics. Horrible, horrible job and I haven't regretted walking away.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Left a job i mostly enjoyed (but was ruined by unappreciative / unsupportive / lying manager) back in march, new job MUCH better. More in contrl of what im doing, left to get on and do it with little interference. Much happier!

badnewz
    Free Member

firm run by a group of aspergics

That is all too familiar, they seem to aspergicise each other dont they

cupra
    Free Member

I did it at the end of March and started a new job mid-april. I left stupid hours, loads of uk travel, many nights away from home for a regular job I can cycle to and from with better pay and conditions and doing something I seem to be good at. Overall – much much happier.

Sui
    Free Member

im about to hand my notice in. The place has treated me like dirt after my little stint awayin a sandy place, but with recession and a lack of jobs i was always over the coals. Thankfully someone has seen sense and bought something which i hope can make maximum damage to the company im currently with – pay back time is what i call it and i can't wait 😆 8)

nickf
    Free Member

Yep, left a job I absolutely hated at the end of March and started a new one immediately.

I’m normally a very positive person, but the role I was doing had me genuinely shaking with rage. All down to the clown who managed me; Jekyll and Hyde is a pretty accurate description of his attitude. To give you an idea of his management style, when I said I’d be leaving his one-word response was “Good!”. He didn’t speak another word to me, not one, either then or until I left. All this from an MBA, who should have realised from his training that a culture of fear and bullying will not make your staff feel much like doing the barest minimum for you.

It isn’t often that I viscerally loathe people – I can think of perhaps three people who have provoked genuine hatred in all of my 45 years. This guy was WAY ahead of anyone else. I’d happily buy him the registration plate W4 NKR if only I could find a way of transferring it to his car without him noticing.

The new job is great, and to top it all I now earn about 75% more than my old boss.

-Liam-
    Free Member

I'm on my way out.

Same place for 20 years(I'm 36) Made Production Manager 10 years ago when the company was taken over by its current owners and have spent 90% of those years arguing tooth and nail with the pair of spastics that are the managing director and his son. I've hated it for a long time but the economic climate and personal problem meant I was stuck there. Made my mind up last week, knocked up a cv and fired it out. Let them know today that I was intending on moving on and looking for alternative employment.

Fingers crossed!

-Liam-
    Free Member

nickf – You sound just like me 😀

nickf
    Free Member

Liam: Yeah, it's terrible when you waste all this emotion and worry on someone who you know really isn't worth it. I only stuck it out because I've got a mortgage, kids in private school, and an aversion to sitting at home doing nowt.

Hope it works out for you. If you're anything like me, you'll feel like the world's biggest weight has been lifted from your shoulders.

badnewz
    Free Member

seems like a common theme is working with people we don't like or find it really hard to work with. i can take monotony and a commute if i think i can have a bit of a laugh at work, but when its all gloom it aint no fun. cv time!

samuri
    Free Member

I left a job that I'd done for ten years. I left it 9 months ago because I hated it which was a pity because I loved it when I started. Then I took another job for six months which I also hated. I've just started at a new place and absolutely love it. I'm in work early and sometimes have to force myself to leave.

Aah, the life of a fluffer.

Archaic
    Free Member

I am leaving my current job in exactly one week from today. As it was only ever a stop gap filler it has never filled me with dread but it would have done if it had been long term. Even my wife noticed tonight I was smiling more than normal as I simply can't wait to finish. Fortunately I start a new job with great prospects in just over 2 weeks so there is loads to look forward to. New role has better hours, better pay, more self worth and weekends free 🙂

Papa_Lazarou
    Free Member

it amazes me how hoften I hear "I hate my job" and then in the next breath, concern about redundancy or complete dismisal of any thoughts of moving on. Generally, the longer a person has been with a firm, the greater their fear of leaving.

I've been contracting for quite a while now, so have left jobs a few times and have learnt that u should never rot away in a crap job as there are always alternatives.

Northwind

It looks like I'm about to get voluntary redundancy, fingers crossed. We've known for a long time that the work we do was bound to be moved, and watched our team be systematically destroyed, but at the same time while the team was run down the work has always failed to move on so we've been left holding the baby in pretty terrible circumstances then getting the blame when it goes wrong, absolute textbook really… So put in my application today and should hear soon. Weirdly it's only been the impending doom of the job that's kept me in it, assuming I get VR I'll get a very nice package that'll remove a lot of the stress of finding a new job- it'll literally cover my lifestyle for 18 months.

So, tbh I can't see it being anything but positive- clean slate, new opportunities, promising financial outcome, no stigma from being out of work given the exit method… Not a great time to be unemployed but there's always work available of some sort.

Just wish it'd been 6 months ago! I'd have taken the summer off.

JulianA
    Free Member

Soooo tired of the life I live right now that MrsJulianA is the only reason I carry on with it.

The sooner we can change stuff the better.

konabunny
    Free Member

Left a job that I hated a year ago, mostly because of crazy menopausal mutton-dressed-as-lamb hag that was completely delusional about who she was and what she was supposed to be doing at work. I really like my old boss but I cannot understand why he didn't fire her!

Now looking for new jobs. Not that worried about money or prestige so long as the people are good. You spend 50-60 hours a week with them, they ought to be fun!

Macavity
    Free Member

A job that might suit some one:
    Development Manager
    7Stanes Mountain Biking Community Interest Company Ltd
    alison.ney@scotent.co.uk
    01387 245236

leelovesbikestoo
    Free Member

I left my day-job at the end of March for various reasons, and have now decided to start up by myself. I'm also healthier, more relaxed and have a better work/life balance. Money's tight, but food is cheap and the best things in life are free.

<shameless_plug>I'm a graphic designer and times are tough out there, but if you need something graphically designed get in touch. I can work with new businesses needing logos or identities, existing businesses looking for a revamp, promotional stuff, stationery, packaging development… take a look at my site, I can offer good STW rates.</shameless_plug>

http://www.leepaulvickers.co.uk

mema
    Free Member

Yep, I started a job in november, I was never seeing it as a career but it paid the bills and thought that it could be fairly chilled out. It would have been a very chilled out job if it wasn't for the nutter who constantly cried and stamped her feet when she didn't get her way. So I left to a job which pays double and I get to play with frikin' lasers! 😀

-Liam-
    Free Member

Woohoo!

Had a phonecall today from one of the companies i've sent my cv to. Going to visit them on monday evening for a chat. They have 2 or 3 roles i could potentially fill. The work is a proper lads dream. Manufacturing for the motorsport industry including f1 which is jolly exciting 🙂

stumpy_m4
    Free Member

havent left yet but im thinking about it !!

only been here 3 weeks !! 😯 .. yes 3 weeks and i hate the bloody place , the job i have to do , some of the people and the traveling …
    only got in through a agency , but looking to get out asap….

Hohum
    Free Member

I managed to negotiate a reasonable exit package with my company today.

I have hated my job for the last 2 years and due to restructuring the role has become worse and worse so much so that it was having a really negative impact on my performance.

Having discussed my situation with a few people whose opinions I really value I thought that the best way was to get out now while I still feel positive and look for other work (and there is a reasonable amount of it up here in my line of work) rather than be managed out at the end of this just before Christmas and when I hit the grand old age of 40.

It's a bit of a risk, but compared to the other options I had the choice was a bit of a no-brainer really.

The job search starts next week 🙂

tails
    Free Member

hmmmmmm looks on dreaming!

mrmo
    Free Member

i wake up in the morning thinking i can't be arsed, hopefully the interview i had on monday will give me a paying way out.

Otherwise i may just walk, i really can't stand the attitude, the workload the complete lack of any consistent policy on anything, and some of my collegues. Other than that the job is fine

-Liam-
    Free Member

Well I've had 2 interviews in the last week and have had an offer of employment today through the post as well as a missed call and an answerphone message yesterday which looks like they might be keen. Only issue in the interview was my current rate of basic pay Which they said they'd struggle to match but as it turns out with overtime and bonus's, after the probationary period, i should be earning more. Also, its not quite so far to travel but most important, it just seems like a massively impressive and technically appealing place to work.

So. I've worked at the same place since the day i left school in 1990. How do i hand my notice in? 😀

Seriously.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Poo in a tupperware container, seal it in clingfilm, wrap it up then send it to them.

I imagine you'll have to work your notice, no? Got any outstanding holiday owed you?

-Liam-
    Free Member

4 weeks notice and 7 days holiday so not all bad.

I'd like to imagine that after 20 years, there is a lot of knowledge in my head that they need access to fairly rapidly. Being **** about me wishing to move on, clearly isn't the best way of doing that.

Hohum
    Free Member

I have been sat here day-dreaming and worked out that I leave my job 5 weeks on Friday.

One of the conditions of me leaving is that I take all of my holiday owed to me before I go and I was very pleasantly surprised that I have 7 and a half days to take, which means I only have 3 and a half weeks left in the office 🙂

simon_g

Not leaving, but counting down the days till I leave for my sabbatical in just under 2 months.

Really need a break (which I’m getting – for 4 months!) and will see how I feel about the job and everything else when I get back.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

Not recently, but just walked out of something I couldn’t stand any more a few years ago. Contrscting didn’t work out. Had a spell in That London as motorbike courier, pretty cool,and different to putting together netorks using international ISDN and satellites. nearly had a bad accident and came home for a spell. Was on the verge of driving a bus when another computing job came up. I’ll probably make sure I’ve got properly worked out plans b and c if I ever do that again. That said, i do like my job now.

loddrik
    Free Member

Left a job I liked a year ago and am still out of work. Now looks like the stupidest decision of all time.

tails
    Free Member

Left a job I liked a year ago and am still out of work. Now looks like the stupidest decision of all time.

Why?

loddrik
    Free Member

Wife having another baby so we moved back home (from the south), didn’t quite anticipate how badly hit my industry would be through the recession. Now wife had to go back to work in London so we can pay the mortgage. Not much fun I can tell you, no jobs on the horizon too…

BobaFatt
    Free Member

worked for a rather large TV channel provider up until 3 months ago……crap hours, idiots in charge, no prospects to even get full time hours never mind a promotion/payrise

Moved to a software company working in support…….loving it so much i spend my days off trying to learn more for my job

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)

The topic ‘so who's left a job they hated recently?’ is closed to new replies.