• This topic has 85 replies, 74 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by bruk.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 86 total)
  • So who doesn't also ride a road bike?
  • geoffj

If not why not?
    And no, cx bikes don’t count.

Lifer
    Free Member

Post of the week.

lardman
    Free Member

cos i hate cars. They always wanna kill me.

DoctorRad
    Free Member

I don’t, just not interested at the moment. Will build up the ‘cross bike as an on-off-road fast trail type hybrid with Jones J-bars before the winter. Probably.

I do have a ’91 Saracen built up as a commuter with fat slicks, rack, dynohub and mudguards. But it’s not a ‘road’ bike per se.

franki
    Free Member

I used to, but I don’t have enough riding time to justify having road and mountainbikes these days.

avdave2

I don’t, if I had the spare cash I might well buy one but all the best riding direct from my door is off road. That’s how I started riding off road – using bridleways right from my door on my 10 speed road bike as a short cut to decent roads. In the end I decides I just preferred being away from traffic.

creamegg
    Free Member

I don’t. It’s just not mountain biking and dosen’t appeal to me.

binners

I bought one last year for the commute.

However, after a couple of months I came to the conclusion that my life may be put at risk by falling asleep due to the shear spirit-crushing, mind-numbing tedium of it. So I sold it and bought another hatdtail and I commute off-road instead 😀

Pook

I can drive on the roads.

uselesshippy
    Free Member

Tried it. Don’t like it.
    Why ride with cars when you can ride in the trees.

igrf
    Free Member

I don’t, maybe one day when I run out of hetracil, worse things have happened, I went out on a stand up paddle board yesterday…

geoffj

I guess I’m lucky with such quiet roads where I live.

z1ppy

Nope, I gave up motorbikes as I was sick of car drivers constantly trying to kill me.. why would I go back with no engine?

yunki
    Free Member

If I had enough spare cash, and felt that I could justify another stupidly expensive toy to my young family, and could overcome my pathological fear of motorists, then I believe that I could possibly persuade myself that the increased fitness would be a good reason to buy a road bike..

but none of things are likely to happen in my forseeable future

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Is the wrong thread to say I’ve just bought another road bike?! 😀

kimbers

not me find road riding dull

fwiw i commute 200 miles a week on lodons roads………. on a mountainbike, its a rigid and has semi slicks on though so i can still ridesteps and drop off kerbs, even a cheeky spin on the jumps at gunnersbury park on the way home

I win!

geoffj

worse things have happened, I went out on a stand up paddle board yesterday…

😆

stilltortoise
    Free Member

I guess I’m lucky with such quiet roads where I live.

+1

DezB
    Free Member

I’ve got one, but it’s a tool not a toy. Never ridden purely for pleasure.

Lifer
    Free Member

stilltortoise – Member

“I guess I’m lucky with such quiet roads where I live.”

+1

+2

Smack dab in between the north and south downs so plenty of choice of routes too 😀

hilton83
    Free Member

I don’t, the roads just don’t appeal to me, anytime I’m on the road and I hear a car coming behind I’m wincing the whole time, they leave you no space at all.

Pyro

Don’t road ride as such, have owned a couple of cheap roadies in the posty, normally just for specific races that required them. Recently got a Dawes Galaxy for free so might indulge myself in some quiet touring at some point.

wrecker
    Free Member

It’s not for me either.

mmannerr

Bad back preventing road riding at the moment, whereas mincing around on a full suspension does not hurt my back at all. Still, I’d love a good ride on the road every now and then. It is a different sport but if you are not taking it as seriously as proper roadies it can really fun way of getting fit for mountain biking.

billyboy
    Free Member

I tried a £1,300 Trek road bike last year….and it scared me. The gears were too high for my liking (most average folk are going to struggle to get your average road transmission up a Lakeland Pass), the brakes were poor and it felt horribly unstable at speed…and I was doing the twenty mile to work slower than I had been on my Kinesis CX hybrid. The only plus point was the ride quality, it was more forgiving than the Kinesis.
    I ride a lot but haven’t got much natural ability and this road bike was sapping my confidence on all my other bikes, so I sold it and went back to my hybrid for the commute. If I do go out with the road club I can keep up most of the time anyway on the hybrid so there was just no point……………for me.

fd3chris
    Free Member

I don’t , I came from motocross and the natural progression /regression was mountain biking . Never had any appeal to me , bikes on the road , engine powered or not !

Trimix
    Free Member

I dont because my uppy downy post wont fit into a road frame.

Neither will my 800mm wide bars or saint brakes or CCDB shock or supertacky tyres.

Wozza
    Free Member

It’s just nowhere near as good fun as riding off rocks and getting covered in s**t.

That said, I’ve never actually ridden one of these unobtanium 10 gram bikes. I reckon anything with less than 1.9″ tyres is pretty much a death trap.

ononeorange

Not me, as for most of the reasons above – busy roads populated with murderous drivers round us. I do admit to enjoying the occasional blast on quiet roads on the mtb though – but they have to be quiet.

I am currrently resisting a pal trying to persuade me to give road a try on one of his bikes.

akira

If you have trails on your doorstep and plenty of time then I can see why people wouldn’t bother but if you have to travel to get off-road and don’t have much riding time then a road bike is a very useful tool.
    It’s fun in a different way.

Stoner
    Free Member

Its the two-wheeled equivalent of marathon running.
    Boring as hell. Not for me.
    Mrs S loves it mind. And the running. Weird girl.

Im pretty sure my Pompino Pub Transportation System doesnt count anyway.

ocrider

I’d much rather eat dirt than exhaust fumes, although I ride several miles by road out to the local woods.

A road bike does not enter into my n+1 equation.

timnwild

Don’t really ride anywhere other than off-road – mtb’s fine to pop out for ten minutes, i ride the Boris bikes in London, and borrow a proper roadie for BHF rides and the like. The less equipment I have to buy, maintain and worry about being nicked, the happier I am.

forge197
    Free Member

I don’t I do have a more “canal/cycle path” orientated hardtail (Hardrock) I try to be on the road a short as time as possible before getting of it and onto cycle paths, canal paths, I derive no cycle pleasure being on the road and therefore wouldn’t get a Road Bike or a Cross.

dizcostix
    Free Member

i recently got one for commuting my 23 mile journey a few times a week. With a very little nipper to look after, it helps me get fitter for my mtb weekend rides.

Can’t imagine me using it instead of the mtb though for ‘non-commute’ riding as others have said

mattzzzzzz
    Free Member

I find the roads too dangerous these days near me so sold the road bike a few years ago
    Got two mountain bikes though

stumpy01

Got some wheels with slick tyres for going on the road with my Inbred.
    The only purpose it serves is getting/keeping fit. Not sure I could manage much more than 40 miles or so, as it gets very boring.
    I am considering getting a cheap road bike though as I have compromised the set-up of the Inbred for the road and so it’s not good on the road & it’s not that good off it either. Thinking of a cheap Decathlon bike.

hugor
    Free Member

I don’t own one because I’m afraid of riding on the road.
    If the roads were safer I’d be well into it.

labsey
    Free Member

I don’t. For the reasons above and my current hardtail is good enough for the road sections of my commute.

kiwijohn

Bor-ring

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 86 total)

The topic ‘So who doesn't also ride a road bike?’ is closed to new replies.