Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • so, what do you ride for enduro's?
  • MrCrushrider
    Free Member

im interested in entering a few after my first race this weekend, but only have my big heckler (dhx air and the lot!), and just wondered what everyone else rides?

its not a problem – i like the heckler, just wondered if anyone else rides their big bike for these things?

foxyrider
    Free Member

Bumpy tech enduro – Five
    Flatter undulating rel-non tech – Kinesis XC2 HT

Kuco

I did one of the MM on a S works Enduro with DHX air and fox 36. Passed plenty of people on full on xc bikes and also got my butt whipped by plenty on full on xc bikes 😀

MrCrushrider
    Free Member

yeah thats the story with me yesterday! some real quick lads on the carbon fibre machines whipped me but a fair few didnt!

nonk
    Free Member

i ride a fairly light yeti asr but if you talking about the merida/crc type marathons just ride what you have, plenty folks on big bikes.

simonb512
    Free Member

So far I have done Enduro events (D2D and SITS) on a 7' travel FR bike and a singlespeed jump bike.

This year its a 5' AM/FR bike, the most suitable bike I've had in years.

Some people would be greatful to know I've taken my spokey dokes off. So many complaints in such a little time when I had them on.

donsimon
    Free Member

One of those carbon fibre machines mentioned above…Orbea Alma, no worries for comfort, never got into the FS thing myself. Seen plenty of full sus though, even saw a tandem a couple of weeks ago.

coopersport1
    Free Member

Light built Orange 5 for everything! Unless you're a full on racer then anything will do as long as it's in good nick and you've got the legs for it. Chap at one of the MM last year rode an old 3 speed Royalmail posties bike, complete with front basket, I think he muttered something about 2 of the gears not working!

MrCrushrider
    Free Member

Don simon – dont get me worng i'd LOVE a carbon race machine! cant quite stretch to one though. how do you find carbon on the real rough stuff?

TrailriderJim
    Free Member

A Trance with Flow rims and Nobby Nics USTs. Handles mostly everything well.

austen

I try to put some slightly faster rolling tyres on my Pike/5thCoiled Heckler. It's the only bike with gears I've got and I'd rather deal with the extra weight than ride the tiny, chuckabout, SS hardtail. I'm planning on taking it to a few Merida (CRC?) Marathons this year…

As said above a bigger bike is fine, you will find yourself held up by XC whippets on slick-shod superstiff race bikes on the downhills, only for them to whoosh right back past as soon as you hit the uphill – all part of the game.

nonk
    Free Member

crc marathons now i think.

taxi25
    Free Member

I use a Yeti 575, Its built pretty light though. If you could use lighter wheels and tyres the Heckler would be fine for a day out. I've not done an Enduro with any really tough downhills so you shouldn't break lighter gear.

juan
    Free Member

Meta 5.5 with DH tyres. Until I can justify a mini DH or a meta 66

juan
    Free Member

So far I have done Enduro events (D2D and SITS)

Erm they are not enduro I think sweetie… Just long XC…

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

yea, seems to be a confusion between enduro and endurance rides/races.

marathon/endurance – just a longer XC race (ideal ford mondeo : spesh epic?)

enduro – timed sections (usualy decents) with self propelled uplifts (ideal ford mondeo : specialized enduro)

DH – timed decents with an uplift. (ideal ford mondeo : specialized demo 8)

timber

Depends on your enduro, have seen everything from a cyclocross bike to a DH rig at Dyfi Enduro. Average Dyfi rig is probably a dependable 5" full sus'.

Myself, I have ridden it on full rigid SS, light hardtail, light full sus', burly 1×9 hardtail, SS hardtail, 1×9 burly full sus and this year will be a near merger of the lot on coil sprung heckler with fox 36 and a full array of gears to make up for last years lost fitness because I jiggered my back

donsimon
    Free Member

MrCrushrider – Member

Don simon – dont get me worng i'd LOVE a carbon race machine! cant quite stretch to one though. how do you find carbon on the real rough stuff?

I wasn't having a dig. Not really sure what you'd call real rough stuff though. It's a hardtail XC race oriented bike. FS is going to cope a lot better on real rough stuff. Regarding trail buzz, it pretty much kills it and makes for a very nice ride. I love it, if you get a chance go for it. Orbeas are quite popular here, not sure why, and I'm now looking at the Orbea carbon road bikes. If you can be more specific I might be able to give more details.

HansRey

i did the kielder avalanche a race orientated hardtail. Lightweight wheels, 1.95'' mud tyres, 90mm suspension, 3×9 and spd. Didn't get many good times but it did wonders for my riding and confidence afterwards.

I think a 5'' FS would be ideal for most. I got my marin quake for such events (and DH).

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘so, what do you ride for enduro's?’ is closed to new replies.