• This topic has 33 replies, 25 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by DezB.
Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • So, Nutribullet-Hmmmm
  • reluctantwrinkly
    Free Member

Having tried a couple of so-called “recipes”,(both green based) are there any decent blends that are not truly disgusting or do I have to acquire the taste?
    Jury well & truly out at the moment.

northshoreniall

We got nutri ninja couple weeks ago – I dont follow recipies just chuck in whats lying about and I fancy .

martinhutch

Life is too short to drink mashed up nettle, tree sap and kale. And probably won’t be any longer if you do.

Isn’t a ‘nutribullet’ just a blender rebadged for people who ate too much over Christmas?

northshoreniall

Agree with rebadged blender but part of appeal for me was its easy clean as blades are on the ‘cap’ so easily accessed – we had old smoothie maker thing which was a ballache clean so never got used.

soobalias
    Free Member

banana – the taste will fix most things.
    break them into small pieces and keep in the freezer.

current ‘recipe’ is along the lines.
    banana, porridge, kale, whey, flax seed, tumeric with either almond milk or water

bigrich

kebab, chicken curry, bacon sandwich, chips.

Sandwich

Life is too short to drink mashed up nettle, tree sap and kale. And probably won’t be any longer if you do.

It will just feel like it!

reluctantwrinkly
    Free Member

bigrich, I like your style–it may come to that at this rate! Just keep experimenting I suppose. Soobalias–does it actually taste—-well—nice?

beiciwr64
    Free Member

Is it worth buying a budget bullet blender?

With the help of basketball team The London Lions, Cherry Healey investigates whether cheaper bullet blenders can compete with more expensive ones.

http://tinyurl.com/j78nuuw

allan23
    Free Member

Nature gave us a digestive system in order to deal with chewed up food. Something just seems so wrong about blending everything to drink.

It used to be that the sarcastic comment was, use a helmet when out on a bike as drinking your dinner through a straw is unpleasant 🙂

tomd
    Free Member

are there any decent blends that are not truly disgusting or do I have to acquire the taste?

1. Take 1 nutribullet and discard, preferably in the electronics section of your local tip
    2. Cook some proper food using as much good quality fresh vegetables, meats and fish as you can
    3. Enjoy tasty and nutritious meals which your body is actually capable of processing.

Nutribullet. I can actually imagine the focus group meeting where they came up with that.

BoardinBob

I bought the cheaper Breville version on the recommendation from a colleague. So far so good.

The green shakes generally need sweetened with something. Fruit based ones less so. I only use it when I’m short on time. I overslept slightly this morning so my breakfast was

300ml almond milk
    30g vanilla whey protein
    1 pear
    1 banana
    A teaspoon of peanut butter (no palm oil or sugar)
    5 ice cubes

It tastes awesome

soobalias
    Free Member

define nice? tastes like a weak banana milkshake.
    how ‘nice’ do you want it to taste and how much ‘nice’ stuff you put in
    banana will mask a variety of sins, especially green ones, but trust me, garlic is beyond its remit!

lots of threads and other resources for recipes – the nutrininja gets a lot more use than the toaster in my house.

EDIT – nice one Bob^ i had wondered how it would handle peanut butter, the organic one with no palm oil can be pretty sticky.

reluctantwrinkly
    Free Member

I saw that programme & bought the Salter Nutripro 1000 as it came out pretty well. At £40 I thought it was worth a punt. Have to agree that the 2 green shakes I have done so far need a bit more sweetness despite having 1/2 a banana in them.

benp1

I’ve been having one nearly every work day for the last year – I like it!

All sorts – wife made today’s but I think it’s Spinach, grape, apple, pear, banana, strawberry, lots of seeds and powders, and milk

My top tip is Cocoa powder, or cacao powder if you’re feeling flush. Makes it taste nice

DO NOT PUT RAW GREENS IN IT. It literally invokes the gag reflex. Kale is quite nice though, lettuce is a bit bland, spinach is the best

soobalias
    Free Member

you have lost me, are you cooking kale, spinach, lettuce(?) before blending

ikimbunza
    Free Member

I’ve got one and really like it.

I tend to always put in:
    – 1 banana
    – 1 small apple
    – Water as the liquid though I have also used Coconut water
    – A handful of frozen berries

I then vary the above by including some of the following as taste / the fridge allows:
    – A large chunk of cucumber
    – A stalk of celery (though the taste is quite strong so don’t go heavy on this)
    – A handful of Kale
    – A handful of Spinach
    – 1 Pear

A few tips:
    – Aldi (and I’m sure other supermarkets are the same) do large frozen bags of vegetables such as spinach. These are really useful for keeping in the fridge and breaking off a small amount. They also chill down the mix
    – Try to include green veg in the mix as otherwise you can overdo the fruit sugars. Veg fills me up for longer
    – I include a handful of oats if I want it thicker
    – Try to not use milk or Coconut milk. Using water allows me to include more veg / fruit without making the blend too thick
    – I like including a sprig of mint – can take the edge of flavours like celery which can be too strong

Hope this helps. I’ve found mine brilliant and really helps me get a solid breakfast in. I usually blend it quickly before I leave the house and then drink it on the train.

ikimbunza
    Free Member

I should have also said that you can make some nice weekend mixes as well that my kids love. Try:

– Banana, red berries, coconut milk, small sprig of mint
    – whole fat milk, peanut butter, honey, a small amount of dark chocolate
    – Whole fat milk, nutella, honey, soaked almonds

revoltos
    Free Member

When people are saying “why blend when the human body is designed to digest solids?” Doesnt everything get turned into a soup in you stomach before it even starts getting digested? Which means the Nutrabullet and such like are just accelerating that process.

rhid

I like banana, oats, frozen berries (any frozen berries) and milk. Its my breakfast when I ride to work.

freeagent
    Free Member

We bought a nutri-ninja system in the New-year sales.

I’ve been experimenting with various mixes – last nights dinner (due to having a heavy lunch at work) was –

Raspberry
    Grape (red + green)
    Blueberry
    Splash of beetroot juice
    ice

Very nice but the raspberry seeds are a bit gritty.

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

^ yeah.. But you’re missing the point of eating. It’s a spiritual, emotional compliment to a wholesome life, not something to be habitually accelerated.

tomd
    Free Member

When people are saying “why blend when the human body is designed to digest solids?” Doesnt everything get turned into a soup in you stomach before it even starts getting digested? Which means the Nutrabullet and such like are just accelerating that process.

It’s not really a good thing to accelerate the process, hence why things like smoothies are going out of fashion and are lumped in with fizzy drinks from sugar point of view. The whole marketing around these is based on the assumptions a) that your body somehow can’t get enough nutrients from normal good food, and b) that if kale etc are good then more kale is more^awesome good.

Drac

Isn’t this just a smoothie thread like we had when Smoothie makers became the latest must have, you know before they rebranded them as bullets?

stevious

I got a nutribullet for xmas and think they missed a trick on the marketing. Rather than the rather spurious health claims plastered all over the literature there should just be a big sticker saying ‘REALLY EASY TO CLEAN’.

Yet to find the perfect recipe for veggie drinks but I’ve enjoyed the ones I’ve made with mint, ginger or jalapeno. The nice thing about using ginger in it is no need to peel or chop it, just break off a bit from the root.

Some folk might have a serious aversion to some of the greens you can use (it’s genetic) so worth experimenting with different types to see which work best for you. Some background here: http://www.compoundchem.com/2014/12/04/brusselssprouts/

P-Jay
    Free Member

Sod Kale!

Yeah, I said it.

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

Nature gave us a digestive system in order to deal with chewed up food. Something just seems so wrong about blending everything to drink.

I use a £20 Kenwood “Smoothie 2go” to make , er, smoothies. It’s a good way to get some oats in without having to eat bleedin’ porridge every day.

Banana, Kiwi, Blueberries, Yoghurt, Oats and milk- breakfast done and happy until 2 ish.
    I can’t imagine doing CavoloNero and sprouts in it though; they’re much nicer as nature intended.

reluctantwrinkly
    Free Member

The 2 I tried had either spinach or lettuce as the green element which seemed to be the overriding taste. Seems I need to add a bit of fruity zing to lift the flavour without adding too much sugar. like the sound of adding oats to thicken it up a bit.

avdave2

current ‘recipe’ is along the lines.
    banana, porridge, kale, whey, flax seed, tumeric with either almond milk or water

I too make cold porridge. Mines made with oats, oat milk, ginger, sunflower and pumpkin seeds, kale, raisins and maybe some nuts if they haven’t all been eaten. I make it in the morning then run to work and have it when I get to my desk. This morning as a variation I used cold coffee instead of the oat milk which was good. I don’t put fresh fruit in mine as I like eating that best as it is.
    I tried cold coffee dark chocolate and a few oats as well and that’s also very good.

The easy to wash bit is a big plus point over a blender, we have 3 of us fighting over it in the morning so it’s good that it takes seconds to clean. We went for a Nutri Ninja, cheaper and with a more powerful motor than the standard nutribullet.

McHamish
    Free Member

If you get some vanilla whey protein it sweetens it and makes anything bearable.

Yesterday I had a banana, kale, celery, carrot, apple, chia seeds, baobab powder, vanilla protein powder

I bung what ever is available…I tried a tomato once, but that was a mistake.

If I’m hungry I’ll include some oats too.

I don’t drink it for taste to be honest, I drink it as I’m a bit lazy and don’t eat enough fruit.

nathb
    Free Member

For breakfast I have:
    40g kale
    20g vegan protein (blend of pea, rice & soya)
    15g almonds
    5 pitted dates
    7g cacoa nibs
    10g g&b cacoa powder
    7g hemp seeds
    60g porridge oats
    350g almond milk
    1 banana

All organic of course. Tastes very nice and is circa 700 calories and perfectly balanced (50% carb, 30% fat, 20% protein), perfect for after my morning 5k run.

🙄

avdave2

All organic of course. Tastes very nice and is circa 700 calories and perfectly balanced (50% carb, 30% fat, 20% protein), perfect for after my morning 5k run.

Sounds good but I reckon weighing that all out would take me longer than my 5k run to work. 🙂

nathb
    Free Member

It’s all about having it in convenient jars near the nutribullet! 😆

DezB
    Free Member

Kale producers must be celebrating the popularity of these things. Nobody ate kale before smoothies!

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘So, Nutribullet-Hmmmm’ is closed to new replies.