Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 56 total)
  • so much for the speed cameras being turned off.
  • jam-bo

3 points /£60.

arse.

any tips for how to get out of it….

lagerfanny
    Free Member
    Filthy
    Free Member

Tell them someone else was driving, where it asks for thier address on the form, give one in Dubai or some other far away place.

allthepies
    Free Member

any tips for how to get out of it….

Slow down.

</holierthanthou>

scottyjohn
    Free Member

lol the last time I got a speeding fine and mentioned it on here, I got majorly flamed! Must be a saturday and everyone is out on their bikes 😀

sweepy
    Free Member

As Fithy says, but give them a false name at a freinds house, the freind then says they were lodging but left no forwarding addy.

You do risk time if rumbled tho

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

You got caught speeding, you got fined. No use moaning about it.

'Oh life's sooo unfair…'

MTFU

coogan
    Free Member

Drive faster so they can't see your number plate. 😡

johnners
    Free Member

I always try to have my car sliding along the road sideways for the length of the markers. It's a bit tricky and sometimnes very dangerous, but hey – anything's better than sticking within the speed limit.

jam-bo

Elfinsafety – Member

'Oh life's sooo unfair…'

MTFU

predictable to the letter…

to be honest, I probably should get done for driving without due care and attention as well for not spotting the van. but I'm not and my first ticket in the last 400,000 miles isnt a bad ratio…

Spongebob
    Free Member

You can tell the one's on here who don't have a motor vehicle, by the rude chip on the shoulder attitude!

BigJohn

These days if you give them the old "don't know who was driving" routine you get hit with £500 and 6 points.

sofatester
    Free Member

If you where speeding take it on the chin.

If you feel you where not, then go to court and fight it.

Your choice.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Spongebob – Member
    You can tell the one's on here who don't have a motor vehicle, by the rude chip on the shoulder attitude!

The speed limit is imposed to try and reduce the number of road accidents. Which is a good reason for having one, no?

Fines/points/bans are imposed to punish transgressers, and to hopefully act as a deterrent to others.

The laws are clear, and apply to everyone equally.

So why moan about getting done for speeding, when you've actually been speeding? S'a bit like getting nicked for shoplifting then moaning about it!

S'not being 'rude', it's just being frank. If you don't like it, then don't speed. Simples. 😀

hainey
    Free Member

Try and get a speed awareness course instead?

I got caught doing 78 in a 70 and sent them a letter back with my form stating how sorry i was etc etc etc got a speed awareness course instead. Still costs you £60 but no points.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Just accept the points and get over it unless you are hitting 12 (and a ban) in which case you are an idiot to have got to that many points.
    As for those people suggesting it wasn't you driving, that'll be perverting the course of justice and you'll get banged up for it. Don't be a tool just accept it and move on.

Admiralable
    Free Member

The speed limit is imposed to try and reduce the number of road accidents. Which is a good reason for having one, no?

Fines/points/bans are imposed to punish transgressers, and to hopefully act as a deterrent to others.

The laws are clear, and apply to everyone equally.

So why moan about getting done for speeding, when you've actually been speeding? S'a bit like getting nicked for shoplifting then moaning about it!

S'not being 'rude', it's just being frank. If you don't like it, then don't speed. Simples.

I wholeheartedly agree with you 🙂

Try and get a speed awareness course instead?

I got caught doing 78 in a 70 and sent them a letter back with my form stating how sorry i was etc etc etc got a speed awareness course instead. Still costs you £60 but no points.

BUT still puts your insurance up 😉

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

You don't have to tell your insurance about the speed awareness course that's the point of it!! To encourage people to learn something without it affecting their insurance. It depends on what speed you got doing in what limit.

mansonsoul
    Free Member

As Elfin says, if you were speeding, you were breaking the law. You don't expect to be able to get away with breaking the law do you?

If I nicked your bike, posted on a forum saying I'd done it, would you be happy if I got away with nothing? It's just the same, except more people are killed, maimed or injured from speeding than from bike theft.

Pay the fine and stop breaking the law.

Admiralable
    Free Member

You don't have to tell your insurance about the speed awareness course that's the point of it!! To encourage people to learn something without it affecting their insurance. It depends on what speed you got doing in what limit.

It's still classed as a conviction so the insurance company needs to be informed

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

If you can't do the time don't do the crime.

Cougar
    khani
    Free Member

<notbeingholierthanthou> take it on the chin, or risk loads of money and a major fooking by the man <notbeingholierthanthou>

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Admiarlable – you don't have to tell your insuance. It isn't a prosecution and hence you haven't been convicted. That's the whole point of the scheme, to encourage people to be educated about speeding and the dangers, they pay a fee and hence don't get points or a fine. IE don't get prosecuted and hence you don't have to tell your insurance. the police are the prosecuting authority and they are offering the scheme instead of prosecution.

Admiralable
    Free Member

Admiarlable – you don't have to tell your insuance. It isn't a prosecution and hence you haven't been convicted. That's the whole point of the scheme, to encourage people to be educated about speeding and the dangers, they pay a fee and hence don't get points or a fine. IE don't get prosecuted and hence you don't have to tell your insurance.

But it is an "incident".

The law on disclosure is that you must declare any fact that a prudent underwriter would take into account when assessing the risk. Failure to disclose such a fact allow the Insurer to void the Insurance and refuse any claims. There is no definition as to what constitutes a material fact – that is for the courts to decide.

The failure to disclose does not need to be relevant to any claim. For example failure to disclose a motoring conviction, if deemed material, would allow the Insurer to avoid paying a theft claim

In practice in view of the draconian effects of non disclosure it is best to err on the side of caution and let the Insurer decide if it is material.

The logic behind this law is that an Insurance contract is very much a one sided affair as far as assessing the risk is concerned. You have all the facts and the Insurer has none. There have been a number of proposals to change this law but Insurers are, understandably very reluctant to go down this path as they see it as their major defence against fraud.

And then there's Utmost good faith. So insurers take what is given them at face value but if something isn't mentioned then it can give them cause to invalidate the insurance. That would mean you don't have to mention the Speed awareness course, like you wouldn't have to mention an IN10 but don't expect to be covered or paying the same price if they find out or you have an accident.

Toasty

Elfinsafety – Member

'Oh life's sooo unfair…'

MTFU

jam bo – Member
    predictable to the letter…

The point isn't to come up with a witty unpredictable reply. Pay the fine and drive a bit more cautiously, that's how it works.

kevonakona
    Free Member

Or keep doing the speeding and aim for the record number of points 8O. Apparently there is someone on UK roads with 54 points and still driving. Imagine what their insurance is like.

MrSmith
    Free Member

what's so special about you that you think you shouldn't pay the fine/get the points like everyone else?

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

Admiralable

Not sure you are right on that. These days they are very very specific about what they want to know including accidents of any sort (not just claims) and convictions. There is no conviction with a speed awareness course, in fact they write to you saying they are not going to prosecute.

The logical extension of what you say would be that if you were pulled over by the police, and told to drive a bit more slowly, and then sent on your way, you should inform your insurers as you had been caught and stopped by the police whilst breaking road traffic laws.

And I am pretty sure the instructor on my course said we didn't have to…

miketually
    Free Member

These days if you give them the old "don't know who was driving" routine you get hit with £500 and 6 points.

You should tell them that you don't know who was driving.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Stoatsbrother correct. Not a conviction not an accident.

Sorry but speeding does not kill .

bad driving ( stupid ) and also bad weather + speeding etc does

80 per cent speed every day and 80 per cent die ???

no i think not .

SPEED DOES NOT KILL (the impact does)

amplebrew

Think yourself lucky that you're not on the Isle Of Man.

All our speeding tickets have to he heard at court, although you don't have to attend in person.

Our speeding fines start at £150 + court costs, not to mention the 3 points as well!!!

£60 is a bargain 8)

molgrips
    Free Member

bad driving ( stupid ) and also bad weather + speeding etc does

Not this again.

No-one's stupid enough to think that simply crossing 70mph causes death.

Speeding makes accidents more likely, and the consequences of accidents worse. Therefore, a certain number of people will die because speeds were higher. Speed is therefore responsible for deaths in those cases.

TheFlyingOx

Speed vs inappropriate speed. Two very different things.
    That being said, take the fine/points. Most insurers couldn't give a toss about an SP30 if it's your first and only.

allthepies
    Free Member

littlelordfauntleroy – yaaaaawn.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

littlelordfauntleroy – Member

Sorry but speeding does not kill

And it doesn't get you 3 points and a £60 fine………it's getting caught what does that.

So what's jam bo's problem ?

anyone fishing tonight

of out now going to do 41 in 40 so good night all have a good life as i will not be on this site ever again if what some say is true ?

wish me luck

cheers all 😆

ebygomm
    Free Member

Most insurers couldn't give a toss about an SP30 if it's your first and only

So true, adding my Dad and his three points onto my insurance knocked a 100 quid off the cost 🙂

luked2
    Free Member

Confused.

If I get a speeding fine, and stump up the £60 and get 3 points, do I need to tell my insurers? Even if I don't get the awareness course?

I thought no, because the only time this happened I thought they said it wasn't a prosecution if I just paid the fine without arguing.

So – is this a prosection, do I need include it in the list of prosecutions for my insurance?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 56 total)

The topic ‘so much for the speed cameras being turned off.’ is closed to new replies.