Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • So long halfords! (aberystwyth) Hmm shall i take them on?
  • walla24
    Free Member

Just returned to uni, having worked for halfords for 2years sadly due to the 'recession' they are no longer taking on staff 🙁

So now i can either get another min wage job in a random shop (if im lucky) or i can do what i have been doing all summer and run my own bike repair service.

Just ran a simple service out of my garage, didnt charge a lot but then i had no costs really and it was nice knowing the customer went away happy. My friend has said they would let me use their garage so i am sorely tempted to try it up here…

what would you do?

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

do it – what do you have to lose?

dooosuk
    Free Member

Can't see what you have to lose. Surely there's plenty of students who need their bike fixing and you're no doubt going to be a more convinient and quicker option than taking it to Halfords.

Mistere
    Free Member

the doom mongers will be along shortly:

liability. insurance.

LordFelchamtheIII
    Free Member

Could turn lucrative, word of mouth, mobile cycle repairs? Sh1t, I think I might try that myself!

tankslapper
    Free Member

walla – go for it!

Our local shop gets flooded with bike repairs, you might even cadge some of that trade to help them smooth out peak times? Just a thought

geoffj

Go for it. I was in Aber last week. There appears to be the beginings of a fixie fakenger scene. How about doing fixed price conversions using skip/dump bikes.

IanMunro
    Free Member

A student did it at my uni, he was even loaned a shipping container by the uni to store bikes in. Could be worth dropping a line to the tree-hugging department at your place.

Do you know what chainring bolts are?

If so, you are already ahead of the game, as I went into my local Halfords (out of necessity/convenience, not choice) on Saturday to buy some chainring bolts and the person I asked in their Bike Hut section did not know what they were!

Surfr
    Free Member

Have you tried tapping Summit up for a job?

As for a fixie scene in Aber, I've not noticed it, but I'd be quite interested to see fixies pelting down Penglais hill with 8" flat bars and no breaks!

walla24
    Free Member

Haha sweet yeah looks like i will be going into business then, some sweet ideas on here!
    especially like the idea to go all 'green fingered' and get in touch with the uni, will be doing that asap. There used to be a second hand bike shop in aber but it closed so i guess there is a gap there.

Tankslap, don't suppose you are near aber?

Yes i do know what a chainring bolt is 😀

No jobs at summit sadly, they even get you cytech trained so i have heard.

Yeah definately a scary place to be riding a fixie round here!

Only worries really is that well naturally being a student i have very little money and halfords used to pay for my food/bike bits…ah well can always extend the overdraft!

Any more ideas welcome…please!

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

the doom mongers will be along shortly:

liability. insurance.

The young lad who built my road bike for me and does bits and pieces for other people is a former Geoffrey Butler bike mechanic. He's now a full time student but still does the work from his parents garage. Unfortunately, he won't accept money for any of the work he does because he says he's not insured, so you have to buy bike parts for him as 'payment' for his work. It's a bit of a pain really. Although he's constantly upgrading and buying new bikes for himself.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

btw, I'm surprised that Halfords are cutting back on staff because of the recession. The bike shops I know are all doing very well, despite the recession, in fact possibly even better.

walla24
    Free Member

I accept pretty much anything as payment! (nothing dodgy)

Yep, boss at halfords said their profits were through the roof 🙁 grrr money grabbers!

StirlingCrispin

Go for it.
    Several people locally offer this service: eg
    http://www.stirlingcyclerepairs.co.uk/

The secret is picking up/dropping off from people's homes.

Olly
    Free Member

having seen 3 people get wiped out on the hill on normal bikes with proper brakes, and also been one of them myself! fixes should be BANNED in aber. 😉

CaptJon
    Free Member

Ian Munro – Member
    A student did it at my uni, he was even loaned a shipping container by the uni to store bikes in. Could be worth dropping a line to the tree-hugging department at your place.

Sod the tree huggers (not sure which dept that would be anyway), and go straight to the student business/incubator centre – most universities have them.

Xan
    Free Member

Sounds like a good idea to me. If you have all teh tools and the know how why not. As said before as long as you have more experience and knowledge that than the idiots in my local Halfrauds. I stood and watched a guy build a cheep Appollo for my mate on Saturday. He wasn't happy when I pointed out to him that the deraileur should only be 1-2mm away from the outer chain ring and not the 2 inches that he was trying to fit it at. And he wondered why he couldn't get the gears right lol.

Also had a similar experience when I asked for Dot brake fluid and he told me that I would get it from the car section???? WTF!!!

Olly
    Free Member

aber wont help you out.

bicycles are banned on campus.
    from a "proactive cycling university" too!

word of mouth, and flyer some lamp posts on the hill.

Old bikes wanted
    Renovated bikes for sale
    bikes repaired.
    text me on:07xxx…

try and not step on Joe (of summit)s toes 😉

first specific tool i would buy; a pair of nice tough tyre levers, for getting horrible argos bike tyres off horrible argos bike rims, and one of those sheets of puncture repair patches.
    no need for noo toobs in most cases 🙂

geoffj

try and not step on Joe (of summit)s toes

A bit of honest competition never did anyone any harm.

walla24
    Free Member

Olly, yeah good ideas, i didnt know bikes were banned on campus thats crazy!
    And no i do not in any way want to upset Joe, Summit or anyone else in the trade there is enough business to go around.

Alright see how it goes!

pault41
    Free Member

Go for it ,bike section of craft closewd down so gap in the market ,apart from guy up in old market hall, joe at summit thats your lot in Aber.
    Unless u come out to Cilcenin on the lampeter side then you got Cyclemart, then thats your lot till Cardigan or Carmarthan .

funkynick

Xan – Member

Also had a similar experience when I asked for Dot brake fluid and he told me that I would get it from the car section???? WTF!!!

Erm… I hate to burst your bubble, but the guy is right, DOT brake fluid is what you use in cars. I guess you could buy some chi-chi bike specific stuff at hugely inflated prices, but it'll be no different to the Halfords stuff in bottles in the car section… maybe he was trying to save you some money!

coffeeking
    Free Member

?? You're having a chuckle, right?

Xan
    Free Member

I am well aware that DOT is used in cars but there is a huge range in Viscosity from DOT3,4,5 ect I had thought I had better just go for the right stuff, and pay that little bit extra. Wasn't sure how much difference there was if any. You might be right and was trying to save me money but I get the feeling that it was ignorance to the fact that you get it for bikes.

Similar to the day I walked in to a local car parts shop, asked for 8 BPR7ES V-Groove spark plugs and was asked where the for a Jag diesel???? lol

zaskar
    Free Member

Do it!

Must admit I have gone back to Uni and I have a job in Halfrauds-it really is a joke but I'm grateful for the money and work hard.

I have also been asked to fix bikes on the side for customers and charged £50 labour compared to £70 Halfords.

Do your reserach, get some help from the business school of uni etc and so loads of marketing! flyers etc.

I did PC repairs and upgrades when I was at Uni and had to turn down some students as I had so much work and was making more than I did when I graduated lol.

Good luck too!

gozarch
    Free Member

Talk to CCS at the University about starting a business: http://www.aber.ac.uk/meansbusiness/contact.htm

And I'd be interested to know where it says that bikes are banned on campus?

Surfr
    Free Member

I think the reference was to bikes not being allowed in halls of residence. I know the students resent this a lot.

walla24
    Free Member

sent them a mail, thanks for the idea.
    anymore?

TheChunk
    Free Member

I am well aware that DOT is used in cars but there is a huge range in Viscosity from DOT3,4,5 ect I had thought I had better just go for the right stuff, and pay that little bit extra. Wasn't sure how much difference there was if any. You might be right and was trying to save me money but I get the feeling that it was ignorance to the fact that you get it for bikes.

I'd stop digging if I were you.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘So long halfords! (aberystwyth) Hmm shall i take them on?’ is closed to new replies.