Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • So. Lent is nearly over….
  • Kryton57

What did you give up, have you succeeded and what are you binging with at the weekend at a result?

I gave up booze, and am very much looking forward to beers and wine at the inlaws on Friday to accompany the traditional Good Friday lunch, followed by a really hot curry and beer on Saturday evening when the kids are in bed. Yum!

You?

globalti
    Free Member

My wife gave up sex, but not for Lent; she gave it up about five years ago.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I gave up giving stuff up. That and abstinence.

rascal
    Free Member

Only with you Globalti

jon1973
    Free Member

Not had any alcohol so far this year.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Anchovies. I give them up every year.

twang
    Free Member

Booze, spicy food, excessive tea.
    Not for Christ’s sake – his dad gave me an ulcer.

nickc

Nothing.

Kryton57

Only with you Globalti

You as well?

Cougar

Back when I was at school, I gave up giving up things for Lent for Lent. I’ve kept to it ever since.

GHill

Not religious and there’s no fun in it, so why would I bother?

xlaire
    Free Member

I gave up all the good stuff – sweets, crisps, biscuits, cake, chocolate.

As everyone knows, St Patrick’s Day is a traditional ‘break your fast’ day, so naturally I was obliged to eat the good stuff then.

My birthday was in the middle of Lent too, and you can’t have a birthday without cake.

Other than those two days, I’ve stuck to it though. It’s very slimming – yay!

GrahamS

Back when I was at school, I gave up giving up things for Lent for Lent.

In a similar move I gave up Lentils.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

I’m not a fan of religious twiffle, so – nowt. Obviously.

footflaps

So. Lent is nearly over….

Didn’t even know it had started!

Northwind

givin up givin up givin a fuhhhhhhhhh

slowoldman

Oh no missed again. When did it start?

kiwijohn

While the rest of Oz is eating fish on friday, we’ll be cooking steak on the bbq.

peterfile
    Free Member

I gave up the use of the past tense for Lend.

A couple of people in my office are required, as part of the terms of getting in Heaven, to participate in such annual religious events.

I suggested that this year, rather than giving up chocolate and crisps as pentinence, they should give up a wee bit their time to help others, even in a small way, for 40 days. I thought JC might approve.

They took on board my advice and one has given up chocolate and crisps and the other has given up just crisps. I imagine this has sufficiently ticked the box for this year.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

@peterfile the thought of a heven filled with people like that is enough to put most people off religion.

Kryton57

peterfile – Member
    I thought JC might approve.

He’s probably too busy filming the Top Gear Live shows to give a monkeys.

fasthaggis

For New Year I gave up chocolate ,and anything with chocolate in it,crisps and biscuits.
    2 months to go till the bingefest of July 1st 🙂

footflaps

Mind you with Jeremy Clarkson running the church, at least it might fill some pews….

benji
    Free Member

Lent Thread at the start

Chocolate and sweets, and so far it’s gone well, was trying to give up swearing but guys in my workshop don’t take it seriously unless you use it for punctuation.

In addition I have also kicked sugar in my tea 🙂 and oddly am not bothered about chocolate or sweets now.

Weekend is going to be spent riding bicycles of many forms in many places.

yunki
    Free Member

I gave up the British weather for a month.. I feel great and will probably do it again 🙂

gypsumfantastic
    Free Member

A couple of people in my office are required, as part of the terms of getting in Heaven, to participate in such annual religious events.

I suggested that this year, rather than giving up chocolate and crisps as pentinence, they should give up a wee bit their time to help others, even in a small way, for 40 days. I thought JC might approve.

They took on board my advice and one has given up chocolate and crisps and the other has given up just crisps. I imagine this has sufficiently ticked the box for this year.

Had a giggle to myself there, I can see St Peter getting his rubber stamp ready right now.

Don’t see the point of abstinence from something I enjoy, there’ll be plenty of time to abstain from things when I’m dead (and presumably trying to reason with St Peter about my crisp and chocolate consumption)

ste_t
    Free Member

I resigned myself to an eternity in hell (should it exist,) many moons ago so why bother depriving myself in the meantime?

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

I gave up caffeine, I’m rather hankering for an espresso or two.

Done very well, though I wobbled a few times but didn’t fall of the wagon.

Oddly I’m not at all religious, giving up stuff for lent just stuck from being a kid, though obviously these days I don’t get given easter eggs regardless of my success in observing lent as I’m not six so the incentive has gone.

Caher

Red wine and drinking anything during the week. Might continue with this until next Easter.

Gary_M
    Free Member

What did you give up, have you succeeded and what are you binging with at the weekend at a result?

Going to the chapel, its been great its freed up my Sunday, I’ll be binge wafering on the sabbath. Cannea wait.

cliffyc
    Free Member

Gave up chocolate,don’t miss it much TBH. Got into some nice fruit bars instead.

billytinkle
    Free Member

I didn’t give anything up, but I’m not worried – I’ll be forgiven in confession.

CountZero

Lent? Damn, I forgot to put a reminder on my calendar again.
    Oh well, there’s always next year…

onewheelgood

I haven’t eaten a single frog’s leg since the beginning of Lent. Just as successful as last year, when I managed to avoid langoustines for 40 days.

peasant
    Free Member

Gave up bread,potatoes and cake, still off them and nearly a stone lighter looking forward to a slice of toast and some chip shop chips 😀

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘So. Lent is nearly over….’ is closed to new replies.