Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)
  • So, is that the next Middle East War now in progress
  • piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

The French (who’d have thought it!) have opened up on Gaddafi’s forces. Here we go again 🙁

derek_starship
    Free Member

This world is totally bollocksed isn’t it?

I’m gonna get pissed.

flip
    Free Member

I’m gonna get pissed.

Sounds like a plan, Whisky or Rum that is the real issue..

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

The French (who’d have thought it!)

Really ?

Sarkozy’s Approval Rating Slumps to Record Low, Survey Shows

Seeing your glorious military score easy victories always does wonders for one’s approval ratings.

“Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel” was true over 200 years ago and it is still true today.

Of course it’s a different story if things goes tits up. But with Libya having a population of less than 7 million and very little in the way of advanced weapons, it pretty much guarantees that won’t happen.

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Cheese eating surrender monkeys the lot of them.

Some day we’ll all stop killing each other.

derek_starship
    Free Member

flip – Member
    I’m gonna get pissed.

Sounds like a plan, Whisky or Rum that is the real issue..

POSTED 13 MINUTES AGO # REPORT-POST

Ravenswood zinfandel for me x 2 bottles.

Harry_the_Spider

What’s the problem? All recent previous wars have gone so well!

Cabernet Sauvignon at our house BTW.

emsz
    Free Member

I’m gonna get pissed.

me too. 😕

flip
    Free Member

I went for Rum, but am having second thoughts..

Bought my wife a nice Chilean red.

It was £5!!!!!!!!!

Never say i don’t spoil her 😉

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

What’s the problem? All recent previous wars have gone so well!

Ah, they’ve thought about that……absolutely no ground troops this time – just air attacks. Should be fine……don’t worry.

Junkyard
    Free Member

and the usa are not there yet so no friendly fire deaths – well not to the westerners who l,ets face it, are the only lifes we are counting.

tazzymtb

the world will be fine, especially once the recently evolved plague of fast breeding, pointlessly aggressive hominids kills itself off. Then it can go and do something exciting have giant insects all over the planet for a few million years until the entire solar system gets wiped out when the sun finally dies.

we are merely a pointless little evolutionary hiccup in the grand scheme of things and won’t be around long enough to even leave decent fossils in the geological record

flip
    Free Member

When I consider the short duration of my life, swallowed up in the eternity that lies before and after it, when I consider the little space I fill and I see, engulfed in the infinite immensity of spaces of which I am ignorant, and which know me not, I rest frightened, and astonished, for there is no reason why I should be here rather than there. Why now rather than then? Who has put me here? By whose order and direction have this place and time have been ascribed to me?

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Middle eastern despotism is dying. Helping it along to the graveyard looks good to me.

Hairychested
    Free Member

Kentucky Bourbon here to the French and their guts. Long may the Yanks stay away from the area, no need for accidental friendly killings.

midlifecrashes

US Sub launched Tomahawks are in, on air defences around Tripoli, if I got it right.

El-bent
    Free Member

Middle eastern despotism is dying. Helping it along to the graveyard looks good to me.

Only the ones that are not in our interests to keep around.

Doug
    Free Member

So, is that the next Middle East War now in progress

Not unless theyve moved Libya to the other side of the Gulf of Suez.

cullen-bay
    Free Member

YAY! CHEAP OIL!

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Well, it’s certainly gone noisy now

BBC:
    2031: A US military chief says a total of 110 Tomahawk missiles have been launched against Libyan sites. He said the Coalition operation has been named Odyssey Dawn.

UK Sub has also fired Tommahawks.

Who needs ground troops when you can just level the place from afar?

Operation ‘Odysset Dawn’ Kinda has bad Hollywood film written all over it.

flip
    Free Member

I stuck with the Rum, it’s going well 😉

derek_starship
    Free Member

110 cruise missiles fired. They’re £600k a pop aren’t they?
    I don’t recall this Lind of response in Uganda …..

deep_river
    Free Member

Unrest in the middle-east, involving the UN, = Job security for me

Bring it on.

legend
    Free Member

x-post from the other thread:

am i allowed to say told “told you so yet”?

I’m sure the Navy’s Tomahawks already have their targets picked

http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/how-long-until-we-start-bombing-libya-then

MrNutt
    Free Member

oh ****!

becky_kirk43
    Free Member

Just what we needed…another war somewhere with oil.

Interested to see how it all pans out, hopefully won’t be too bad for the people of Libya, mind you, can’t be much worse than how it is for them at the moment.

bruk

We are damned if we do and damned if we don’t.

Stand by and watch thousands be slaughtered by Gaddaffi or step in and try to protect and possibly result in more deaths over a longer period of time.

Anyone got a crystal ball handy, would even settle for some tarot cards.

chewkw
    Free Member

Let the game begins …

Nick

people are either computer generated or get up after the camera is switched off = game

dead real people = not a game

hth

Oggles
    Free Member

110 cruise missiles fired. They’re £600k a pop aren’t they?

600k USD, so more like £370k. Still a bloody lot of money. I hope that most of them belonged to the yanks!! (I don’t think the royal navy even have that many)

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

The missiles hit more than 20 air defence sites along the Mediterranean coast,

That’s about getting air superiority do that air strikes on military convoys are without much risk.

mogrim

The French (who’d have thought it!)

Never quite worked that one out – given the 1000s of years of history of us fighting the French, why do we so pathetically follow the US lead of “cheese eating surrender monkeys”? I mean, the cheese I can understand, but “surrender”?

trailmonkey

why do we so pathetically follow the US lead of “cheese eating surrender monkeys”? I mean, the cheese I can understand, but “surrender”?

It comes from peope forming their historical interpretation from episodes of the Simpsons rather than any actual historical record.

CaptJon
    Free Member

Libya is in Africa, not the middle east.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Libya is in Africa, not the middle east.

Where Libya is, is of absolutely no importance…….we’re talking about war here – not a geography lesson.

In 1982, on the eve of the Falklands War, the overwhelming majority of people in Britain had absolutely no clue whatsoever where the Falkland Islands where – despite the fact that they wanted to go to war over them.

The same was true in 1962 when the majority of Americans had no idea where Vietnam was. There was a famous case of a mother who had just lost her son in Vietnam, thinking that Vietnam was in South America.

When wealthy western countries go to war, their people only need to know that it will be somewhere “foreign”, and that they will be killing foreign people ……… hopefully a very long way away.

Kuco

Where Libya is, is of absolutely no importance…….we’re talking about war here

Glad you’re not inputting the GPS co-ordinates into the missiles 😉

CaptJon
    Free Member

Where Libya is, is of absolutely no importance…….we’re talking about war here – not a geography lesson.

That’s potentially the most naive thing you’ve ever posted. War is geography; and the reasons for going to war are dependant on and determined by economic geographies, political geographies, cultural geographies all acting at different scales with different impacts in different places. Geography matters.

RealMan
    Free Member

Junkyard
    Free Member

the reasons for going to war are dependant on and determined by economics, politics, and cultural difference all acting at different scales with different impacts in different places. Adding the word geography to all of these reasons seems a bit odd and adds nothing to the sentence unless of course you think politics, culture and econimics are subsets of geography which seem prima facie to be wrong.

trailmonkey

Where Libya is, is of absolutely no importance

I think that if you review what the abstact concept of the Lybian state is physically sat on top of in terms of resources then where Lybia is geographically, is probably the most important factor of the whole thing.

But I take your point about the pedantics. I think that the definition of the middle east has entered into the mindset of people as being any country with an arab population and oil resources.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘So, is that the next Middle East War now in progress’ is closed to new replies.