Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)
  • So I spent my day filming yesterday…..
  • fourcrossjohn
    Free Member

and all I got was 2 minutes odd of footage that was useable from 9 minutes worth!
    Heck I know i’m not ‘pro’ but I’m still quiet pleased, and after it being uploaded late last night and me going to bed it got 2 fave’s on pinkbike 🙂

http://www.pinkbike.com/video/191540/

Give it a look? I’m proud of it after the effort I put in yesterday!

AlexSimon

Very nice work!
    The zooming thing was working well I thought. Nice flow to it all.
    My camera doesn’t allow zooming while filming, so I’m a bit jealous 🙂

molgrips
    Free Member

Not a bad ratio. You should probably be taking hours of footage to make a 10 min film…

EDIT: that is very nicely filmed actually. It’d have been a good video if your mates hadn’t been going so slowly 🙂

fourcrossjohn
    Free Member

Any body faving it would be appreciated 🙂

and thanks for the positive comments!

Alcopop
    Free Member

Very good nice smooth flowing trail where was this filmed ?

fourcrossjohn
    Free Member

Isle of Wight, Brighstone

fourcrossjohn
    Free Member

Isle of Wight, Brighstone

BoardinBob

Neck brace and full facer is overkill?

fourcrossjohn
    Free Member

You cant see the steepness in the first part of the video clearly!

and we had planned to go and film the ‘bomb hole’ but didn’t go, a big kicker into a bomb hole crater. Also the corners are all very off camber and we all wear a ff, ive had dental work done and wouldnt dear risk loosing my teeth!

molgrips
    Free Member

They do look very over-armoured, which makes them look a bit silly in the vid to my XC eyes 🙂 I’d ride that, probably faster and get more air in speedos, and I’m XC jeyboy.

Rorschach
    Free Member

Some ropey panning going on there.The jump cuts are very jarring and I’m not too sure about the constant zooming out.But you will get better….once you get a tripod.2 stars.

forge197
    Free Member

What camera did you use?

fourcrossjohn
    Free Member

song hdr cx115

forge197
    Free Member

Nice one thanks, I like that fact you can zoom and stuff, was thinking of getting one of those little pocket Kodak things that is waterproof.

I did some solo filming yesterday as test to see if it’s something I fancied doing and it does seem more interesting than helmet cam footage, just used the video feature on my digital camera, but was looking at what to buy that would be more suitable the following is something I just knocked up to see the result, it’s very short 🙂

fourcrossjohn
    Free Member

thats pretty awesome!

the sony reacts with the zoom depending on how how u pull the switch so slow or fast zooms 🙂

forge197
    Free Member

Ta, think I will have a look some various cameras.

fourcrossjohn
    Free Member
    MartynS

Let them enter and leave frame to give yourself more edit points, think about more cutaways. I liked the stuff on the floor as the bikes rode past.
    Detail shots are really important as well, maybe use some stuff in the foreground and shoot with a shallow depth of field so the riders are a blur in the background.
    Careful with the zoom. Remember as something comes towards you it gets bigger, its sometimes weird to see stuff getting smaller as it comes towards you.
    I always find MTB vids look really slow, get loads more shots in to build the pace

RealMan
    Free Member

Such a tune, but not sure if it goes with the video.

plumber
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iE_JIfN0Dxs[/video]

1min 12 seconds from 3hours of vid and 1000+ pictures

The rest was shit 😀

molgrips
    Free Member

my advice get this!

http://www.jessops.com/online.store/products/78994/show.html?cm_vc=PPZ1#bundledealsTab

high quality photo;s and video!!

Rubbish for movies compared to a dedicated video camera. Many of them can’t even change focus when videoing afaik.

forge197
    Free Member

I sold a DSLR as it was too big think that Nikon nice as it is a bit bulky, will be looking for a video camera of sorts think this sort of thing

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sanyo-Outdoor-Waterproof-Camera-recording/dp/B003S3RPQI/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1303061885&sr=8-4

or

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kodak-PlaySport-Black-Waterproof-Shockproof/dp/B004MMF7QE/ref=dp_ob_title_ce

redthunder
    Free Member

It’s Tron on a bike 😉

Great video BTW 🙂

becky_kirk43
    Free Member

Thats a lot better than many of the biking videos out there. My only criticism (as someone thats never tried to make a real video!) is that the transitions between each clip were very noticeable, rather than flowing into each other.

Other than that, very good!

GaryLake
    Free Member

Shot on a DSLR (550D): http://vimeo.com/22262120

Far superior to a dedicated video camera IMO until you start spending mega bucks just because of the lens choice. With the nice shallow depth of field you get on an SLR you don’t want an auto focus anyway…

fourcrossjohn: unless you’ve got a true fluid tripod or a steady cam, stick to static shots. Use more shots, and as mentioned with riders entering and leaving the shot. Not a fan of long sequences with zoom changes as it does ‘slow’ the riders down.

But otherwise nice work! Can’t wait to see the next one!

GaryLake
    Free Member

And before anyone starts ripping it to pieces, it was self shot on a 4 inch high plastic tripod after work in about 20 mins 😛

juiced
    Free Member

very good. really like it.

molgrips
    Free Member

With the nice shallow depth of field you get on an SLR you don’t want an auto focus anyway

Eh? Surely with shallow DoF you NEED autofocus, because people would be coming and going out of focus all the time? Wtf are you supposed to do as someone rides towards you?

EDIT: at least you are going quicker than 4xj’s mates, but you could do with using the gears more 🙂

donsimon
    Free Member

Wtf are you supposed to do as someone rides towards you?

Run at the same speed as the oncoming object, therefore keeping it in focus. 🙄

DickBarton

2 minutes worth of footage from only 9 minutes of filming…rather well done indeed.

GaryLake
    Free Member

Wtf are you supposed to do as someone rides towards you?

Turn the focus ring… :-p But personally work to the strength of the camera, let riders come into or out of focus. More sense of speed, depth and interest. Panning a rider coming down a trail, always in focus, zoom out as they get closer is what makes them look slow.

but you could do with using the gears more

Trying to re-get going with some flow mid trail, after getting clipped back in, having just ran back up the trail in carbon soled shoes, with the camera running wasting precious memory filming nothing at all… nightmare! And you expect me to make better gear choices too!

Blower
    Free Member

looked good to me.

but alas i know **** all about this.

looking for a better camera miself,i have a lumix ft1 point n shoot.and a gopro which im pratting about with at the mo.

would a g10 be good for video action?

chakaping
    Free Member

nice vid, riders looked fast enough to me

post your future efforts up as well

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Neck brace and full facer is overkill?

Suspension looks overkill 😆 Joking aside, it’s a nice film.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

SingletrAction guys messing around with an improvised cable cam at Stainburn Yesterday
    [video]http://vimeo.com/22493718[/video]
    [video]http://vimeo.com/22522272[/video]

simonralli2
    Free Member

I would say that was a cracking little video – well done.

geoffj

I would say that was a cracking little video – well done.

+1

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Yes, I meant to add, that is a great little bit of vid. Also, Pook, off here, does some cracking vid filming and editing.

juiced
    Free Member

it has a certain homegrown local feel to it and the type of local riding I can associate with, but at the same time feels well filmed and ridden and a mellow yet pumping tune. 🙂

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Class. 😀

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘So I spent my day filming yesterday…..’ is closed to new replies.