Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • So I promised the wife….
  • Kryton57

… that this month would be a dedicated finamcial experiement to assume a lifestyle associated with a new (potentially quite large) mortgage.

Now, my principles are being tested ’cause I have a looming welsh trip, AND a tax code adjustment has given me an extra £75 today (payday).

Do I then, buy some “Wales Tyres” with the extra cash Or stick to the agreed principle and use my NN Snakeskins in the pretence of poverty…. 😯

How will she react? Will I be a cad?

KINGTUT
    Free Member

What are Wales Tyres?

AdamW
    Free Member

Prepare to be owned with bombers by MrsKryton57…

wwaswas

Stick with the principle make very sure she knows you have – store up some brownie points for later when you actually *need* some bike stuff?

scaredypants

in fairness, you should NOT keep the tax windfall as it’s a one-off and would skew your “experiment” on manging your home finances

best thing is to get rid of it ASAP

binners

Get as much ‘stuff’ in as you can pre-new mortgage. Obey the golden rules: Always the same colour as what its replaced, always delivered to work

Fill yer boots 😀

jota180
    Free Member

What are Wales Tyres?

Yrthjr 2.5×26 tidy

Clobber
    Free Member

😆 @ jota

Kryton57

KINGTUT – Member
    What are Wales Tyres?

Probably Maxxis Advantage 2.25 60a, or Conti MK2’s 2.4 Black Chilli. As I only go 2-3 times year they’d last for ages 🙂

scaredypants – Member
    in fairness, you should NOT keep the tax windfall as it’s a one-off and would skew your “experiment” on manging your home finances

best thing is to get rid of it ASAP

Posted 27 minutes ago # Report-Postbinners – Member
    Get as much ‘stuff’ in as you can pre-new mortgage. Obey the golden rules: Always the same colour as what its replaced, always delivered to work

Fill yer boots

This seems to make the most financial sense. But my principals?

Bregante

But my principals?

POSTED 28 SECONDS AGO # REPORT-POST

Let them pay their own mortgage?

stratobiker
    Free Member

A promise is a promise. You must keep your word.

SB

hels
    Free Member

Are Wales Tyres like Bus Pants ??

Kryton57

Hels – Member
    Are Wales Tyres like Bus Pants ??

Yes, the NN’s are snakeskins and would be fine.

On a principal led basis I’ve decided to go with what I have and put the extra in Jnr’s bank account.

glenh
    Free Member

Why would you need different tyres for Wales?

ononeorange

Bus Pants??

KINGTUT
    Free Member

OK I’ll offer some sensible advice / comment, lose your bike & part buying habit as soon as possible and get used to it, because take it from me when you don’t have the spare cash it can get to you watching people around buying what they want.

I took out a bigger mortgage last year so I’m speaking from experience.

Klunk
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ak9Z1Iz7T-o[/video]

taxi25
    Free Member

I decided a long time ago not to move to a new big house with a ” new big mortgage ” Hence I can afford all the “Wales Tyres ” I want. Seriously if you have a house already, do you need a bigger one ?

chakaping
    Free Member

Kingtut +1

Get used to not spending pointlessly. It’s easier than you think.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Singlespeed is also your friend.

mtbmatt
    Free Member

Nobby Nics will be fine.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Hence I can afford all the “Wales Tyres ” I want. Seriously if you have a house already, do you need a bigger one ?

Aspiration, children, investment (Ok not in the short term).

trail_rat
    Free Member

taxi 25 – i think kryton and my self are in the same market – first house for a family rather than first flat or first incredibly small house with no garden in a dodgy area

+1 for the no more spending pointlessly …. i find it staggering just how little i can have a comfortable lifestyle on – almost to the point where im reluctant to actually buy a house as its addictive seeing the money mass in your account ….

ourmaninthenorth

1. Tell your wife about the windfall.
    2. Put the windall towards the costs of moving house
    3. Think like a normal person – would Joe Public buy new tyres to go to Wales for a weekend? Er, no.

There you have it. Easy.

I might set up as a life coach. That’ll be £75 please.

Kryton57

taxi 25 – i think kryton and my self are in the same market – first house for a family rather than first flat or first incredibly small house with no garden in a dodgy area

+1 for the no more spending pointlessly …. i find it staggering just how little i can have a comfortable lifestyle on – almost to the point where im reluctant to actually buy a house as its addictive seeing the money mass in your account ….

Thats an interesting point. Over the weekend we knocked up a spreadsheet, put all the bills in (plus the new mortgage amount) including our weekly shopping spend AND regular savings / pensions etc and were actually shocked by how much was left over for “social spending”. Ok so maybe Barbados as an annual holiday might not be so realistic but even so we’d live a comfy life, if not an as frivilous one as we have been.

trail_rat
    Free Member

bear in mind that bigger house = bigger bills – thats the issue im having atm

i can afford to buy what i want with regard to outside space – but for the most part its attached to a giant house – and i dont want the cost of running a giant house ….. found a peach of a wee early 1900s cottage with a good garden/garages but it went to a developer for the land – hes razing the house 🙁

sugdenr
    Free Member

Bribery is the answer. Offer wife a cut of the windfall to spend on herself, buy some decent used tyres from the classifeds, allocate remainder to rainy day. Ticks all boxes don’it?

binners

If you do use the money to pay ourmaninthenorth the £75 life coaching fee, can I come round as your Feng Shui adviser when you move house?

mrlebowski
    Free Member

So I promised the wife….

This, is a schoolboy error….

fingerbike
    Free Member

I’d never thought of having Wales tyres before.
    Give the Yrthjr 2.5×26 tidy a go, they sound great. 😆

landcruiser
    Free Member

Get the tyres ! After all you will have to buy things when you have a bigger mortgage. And the £75 proves it !!

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘So I promised the wife….’ is closed to new replies.