Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 61 total)
  • So I have 5 litres of paint swimming around in my car..
  • ziggy
    Free Member

So just got back from Homebase with 5 litres of paint, picked it up, the handle snapped. The lid then came off as it dropped to the car floor. 😡

Is the retailer responsible? Or am I just an idiot?

rogg
    Free Member

Give them a call – you might get some more paint even if you don’t get a new car.

Hope it was water based, btw…

binners

Join in with the present Madchester revival and turn your car into art….

ziggy
    Free Member

Yeah emulsion thank god. Oh well there goes this afternoons ride 🙁

philconsequence
    Free Member

dont forget to inform your insurance company, an interior modification, especially a new paintjob will incur a higher premium.

(i’d guess that its a toss up between the manufacturer and the shop that sold the faulty paint to you. its a horrible thing to happen dude… good luck getting it sorted!)

coffeeking
    Free Member

Is the retailer responsible? Or am I just an idiot?

Personally was always taught by my parents never to pick up tins/pots of paint by the lid or handle because sometimes they fail. By that system I’d say you’re the idiot, but good luck – get a nice vax type hoover on the job quick while it’s still wet!

tails
    Free Member

pics please! haha!

binners

Dear god!!! That Daily Fail article had THIS! linked to it. I think the link must have been related to paint/creosote! GAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHH!!!!! MY EYES!!!!!

😯

headfirst
    Free Member

Join in with the present Madchester revival and turn your car into art….

or:

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qybUFnY7Y8w[/video]

Cougar

I once did that with a tin of red and a tin of brown paint. Fortunately, the AA came to rescue me as they cover you if you’re marooned.

binners

*Stands and applauds Cougar* 😆

headfirst
    Free Member

Binners, there are 3 rules regarding the Daily Mail website:

1. Do not go on the Daily Mail website.

2. If for some unfathomable reason you find yourself on the DM website, for God’s sake whatever you do DO NOT LOOK AT THE RIGHT HAND SIDE LINKS. You may never recover from it.

3. Do not go on the Daily Mail website.

hora
    Free Member

IF it was in their carpark, the handle failed I’d call the manager out ASAP.

The handle is there to carry a load. Its not like a supermarket bag which can be overlaidened and filled wrongly etc etc.

If you’ve left it a couple of hours etc I think the manager/place can reasonably think you’ve opened to check the paint, didn’t like it maybe and decided to return but didn’t re-secure the lid properly……

Time is of the essence. Its pretty straight forward if done quickly IMO.

Cougar

I know, you could fix some “Ghia” badges to your car. Then if anyone asks you can say you bought the dulux model.

Ro5ey
    Free Member

Cougar will you please stop taking the micky out of the poor OP. It’s clearly an emulsional issue for him

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Did the shop not put those little claw clippy things on the lid?

Cougar

(-:

Good point, it’s not nice to gloss over someone else’s problems.

edd

Did you hear about the man who painted his wife twice with cheese?

Double Gloucester.

Jamie
    Free Member

Good point, it’s not nice to gloss over someone else’s problems.

Hopefully, the OP will take your awful puns in the white spirit.

…otherwise you may have painted yourself into a corner.

philconsequence
    Free Member

at least nobody was satin the back at the time.

Jamie
    Free Member

That would have certainly taken the sheen off things.

Ro5ey
    Free Member

You lot are really on a roller now

TuckerUK
    Free Member

If your car is (e.g) a Corniche or maybe a Phantom, you should be OK, roller’s can be cleaned using just water.

TuckerUK
    Free Member

Grrr, ruined!

brakes
    Free Member

go and see the shop who sold you it and don’t let them give you the brush-off!

TiRed

My friend had a similar issue with fence paint. Was a car insurance claim.

Cougar

Creosote?

That reminds me, I caught a bloke the other day painting Creosote all over the entranceway to my house. I told him, “bugger off, and never darken my doors again!”

bajsyckel

If it’s undercoat you’ll want to get it out of the upholstery ASAP, otherwise it could be a white off.

ziggy
    Free Member

You are all a bunch of barstewards 😆

Actually the humour has cooled me off somewhat.
    New paint from homebase already, and the lady cheerily pointed out ‘I should be more careful next time ‘ 🙄

Anyhow head office next.

I’ll put some pics up later for your amusement.

wwaswas

If you get lawyer involved make sure they’re a Silk.

[edit] I do *so* hope that the OP’s real name is ‘Matt’

Bregante

I think you all need to be a bit more sensitive to the OP. I for one will be treading on Eggshell…….

Dobbo

Same sort of thing happened to me, 3 litres of massonary paint in the front passengers foot well (total bellend thing to do), went in to a roundabout and over it went, I was on a dual carriageway so had to carny on a bit. Every time I braked I had to watch a wave of paint go up the front of the foot well.

I cleaned it out best I could then sprayed the carpet with black spray paint! Could hardly notice it, except the carpet was a bit crunchy.

wwaswas

if there were a tin of paint for best joke on the thread Cougar woudl get the Crown.

donsimon
    Free Member

Anyhow head office next.

Through all the puns, this is the line that’s got me laughing the most. 🙁

wwaswas

Maybe you’ll go out to the car and it’ll all turn out to have been a pigment of your imagination?

Shibboleth
    Free Member

I did the same last week with 5 litres of garage floor paint. Luckily it was waterbased slate grey on black carpets and I got it all out by scooping with a dustpan and scraping the carpet with a wallpaper scraper, then lots of dowsing/sponging with clean water.

Amazingly, I recovered 4.75 out of the 5 litres! The only place you can tell is where it sloshed up the passenger door and went in the speaker grill.

Those clips should be standard.

sharkbait
    Free Member

Hope it works out for you and that your car’s all white.
    Presuming your carpets are dark, will you be giving it a second coat after 4 hours?

Cougar

if there were a tin of paint for best joke on the thread Cougar woudl get the Crown.

Thanks. I’m glad I whitewashed the competition.

philconsequence
    Free Member

i cant help but think the OP is masking his emotions on this one

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 61 total)

The topic ‘So I have 5 litres of paint swimming around in my car..’ is closed to new replies.