• This topic has 33 replies, 29 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by dlr.
Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • So i demo'd a Scott Spark E bike on holiday……..
  • somafunk

….and i liked loved it 😀 , so i’ve ordered a Scott E Genius 710 27.5 Plus Bike , I’ll have to patient though as it won’t be here till January.

Rehash of old story but previous spinal injury/cord damage back in 91′ has has come back to haunt me resulting in a deterioration of my leg strength for the past 7 odd years, it’s now got to the stage that i consider it a good ride if i manage a 15 mile road run on the tripster in under 3 hours, it’s still cracking good fun but sometimes it’s embarrassing when a jogger passes you on the flat, or a passing walker offers encouragement on a climb 😛 .

The Spark 710 bike i demo’d just made me grin from ear to ear and i’m sure the people i passed when out n’ about around the trails at Aviemore assumed i was a tad deranged as i expressed my delight with involuntary squeaks, giggles and tee-hees. Within 30 mins of my first demo i returned to the shop, looked at what was available and with the help/advice from David and Gordie i had ordered the Genius, I’m obviously getting the Bosch speed tuning kit to remove the 15mph restriction (why not? 😉 ) and the Bosch Nyon computer, needless to say i’m quite excited, roll on January 😀

Big thanks to David/Gordie @ Bothy Bikes for their advice n’ encouragement.

interstellar
    Free Member

Awesome, personally I’m all for e bikes as I’m well aware il be needing one down the line.

Looks like a great bike too.

jimjam
    Free Member

I love the colour.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    bikebouy
    Free Member

Superb, glad to hear you’ve made the right choice for you to keep on riding.. Long may that continue..

When you get it, post a pic of you smiling like a Cheshire Cat.

😀

TiRed

Fantastic. Any bike that makes you ride more is a great bike.

I was in the LBS last week on my trike and an acquaintance I know let me ride his electric assist one-legged-drive ICE vortex. It was again excellent to ride, and when you are paralysed down one side with no balance, that’s the best ride in the world.

And I like the colour too.

gaz552
    Free Member

Stories like these are exactly why ebikes should more accepted among mountain bikers, rather than seen as some kind of threat.

That Scott does look very tidy.

Rubber_Buccaneer

Poof

somafunk

Yep it’s sure is loud!, i didn’t like the garish colours to start with but it’s growing on me the more i view it, all my riding kit is black so i guess i’m gonna have to have an Enduro makeover 😉 (not a chance really) , At least the rescue services will spot the bike from the air after i’ve binned it off a cliff/hillside, i realise after riding the demo bike that my previously competent riding skills have long since left the building so i’ll be taking it easy to begin with.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Great story

Might be just the idea to get my better half riding again

somafunk

Great stuff, do you reckon you’ll get an e-bike for the road too or maybe try upgrading the Tripster?

I’m interested in the Typhoon road bike , I went to school with David so I’ll quiz him regarding it but i’d want the motor/drivetrain/electronics built into a carbon (or preferably titanium) frame that i could swap everything over from my tripster as that bike just fits me perfectly after i uglified/bastardised it with Jones bars etc. It’d be so cool to be able to go on a on/off road tour as i originally planned when i bought the tripster over 2 years ago.

But the Genius is gonna be something else entirely 😀

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

Awesome, if it gets you out riding when normally you couldn’t then it’s amazing.

Enjoy it Soma.

dirtydog
    Free Member

Think it looks great, I’m all for them personally.

Could be wrong but I think they’re going to be a big thing.

somafunk

An alarming amount of riders stopped me to ask about it and after a quick shot they all came back amazed and raving about it, i managed 70km+ riding in the cairngorms using the 4 levels of aided assistance and made it back to chalet with 1km of eco mode to spare 😀

radrob
    Free Member

Bike looks awesome somafunk enjoy

nairnster
    Free Member

The bottom bracket/motor area looks quite large. Any issues with it hitting rocks or roots at all?

bearnecessities

Great news 🙂 I like the look of it too.

Roll on January!

cyclistm
    Free Member

Great post OP hope you enjoy the bike

stuey
    Free Member

Love it. Do you think – when the time comes ‘we’ can get one on our mobility scooter allowance? – the isle of tescos Waitrose will never be the same.
    <ivy needs trimming>

rickmeister

Nice one Somafunk… enjoy your bike and don’t pay any heed to the ebike haters …

Poopscoop

Lovely looking bike!

I’ve got a spinal problem too and it’s kind of reassuring to know that when the enviable occurs there is another option rather than just giving up riding.

Enjoy the hell out of it mate!

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Sounds good, enjoy!

Can’t say I approve of removing the stored restriction though.

matt_outandabout

Stories like these are exactly why ebikes should more accepted among mountain bikers, rather than seen as some kind of threat.

That Scott does look very tidy.
    +1

psycorp
    Free Member

Despite the boxy BB area I really like the look of it.

Is the motor strong enough to actually drive the bike or it pedalling assistance only?

Hope you enjoy it OP.

Wookster

Awesome!!! I think they are (E bikes) great idea it will keep people riding which can only be a good thing!!

As for the paint job I like it!!

singlespeedstu

Kenny.
    Great that you’ve found a way to enjoy your offroading again. 😀

That thing looks like a barrel of laughs.
    +size tyres and electric assist must be an awsum combo for fun.

mick_r

Soma – we’re coming up in October – shame you’ll not have it by then. Saw loads of E-bikes in Austria & Germany this summer – I’m sure it can’t be long before the mountain huts are offering charging points at lunchtime.

You still working in any of the CD bike shops?

teasel
    Free Member

It looks like it’ll give birth to another bike at some point. 😛

But seriously, it’s great that bikes like that are being made nowadays; opens up the trails to those (like yourself) that would otherwise have a hard time of it.

Poof

🙂

martymac

great news somafunk, that scott looks brilliant!
    @psycore they are assist only, you need to pedal them to make them go, they just feel like being reasonably fit again.
    i have a cube reaction hardtail which uses the bosch system, its excellent.
    i recently rode home from work (32.8miles) on mine, had a pannier with a few kilos of work stuff in it, almost 1400 feet of climbing, used about half the battery, i did vary the power output from eco up to turbo, as i was worried about it going flat. i now know i could have used it flat out almost all the way.
    i should add, i weigh 20 stone, and rode without any ‘cycling’ clothes at all, normal trousers, boxers underneath, shirt and tie, normal shoes. i was a bit tired at the end, but was fine next morning.
    im under no illusions, i couldnt have done that on a normal bike.

somafunk

Cheers peeps but we’d better be careful with this thread as it seems we have reached 25 positive replies regarding e-bike use, this may break the STW website.

Can’t say I approve of removing the stored restriction though.

It’s not really about having a whoa!…warp speed ahead riding experience though , ebike’s cut out all power above 15mph so if i have a higher cut out speed then it will aid in keeping up momentum which has been shown (in the tests i’ve read) to enable you to use a lower drive mode so infact you can often have a greater range by using the momentum to help you get up the hills – I’m a courteous rider anyway so i’m not going to suddenly turn into a speeding scrote on the trails – I stay in deserted Galloway so i will be able to finally get back out and do all day rides through the galloway hills like i used to do on my soulcraft, I’ve not been able to get up my favourite hills for years (merrick/screel/cairnsmore of fleet etc) so it’s gonna be so cool to be able to cycle to the hills from my house, perhaps stop off for lunch/charge the battery, take in a few hills then cycle the 30 miles back home – needless to say anyone who’s in the area will be more than welcome to take it for a spin.

mick r : I had to quit the bike shop as i kept stumbling and tripping over my own feet, I’ve only got a few hours/day that i can stand and support my own bodyweight before my legs start to spasm and working two jobs (as much as i loved it) wasn’t practical, I’m still working 4 hours/4days week at the Cocoa Bean as a chocolatier though so pop in and we’ll have a coffee n’ natter – the cycle to work is ok in the morning but on the way home i’m pushing 28×36 on the tripster.

singlespeedstu : next time you all come up i’ll be able to join you for a proper ride out in the hills 😀

poof

Yep….guilty as charged 😛

I guess i’d better sell my soulcraft frame on the classifieds (still unbuilt as a bike) as there’s no point in wistfully looking back to my previous riding style or holding onto such a frame for the memories alone – onwards and upwards/to infinity and beyond 😉 , i may even buy a spare battery to carry with me on long rides.

PS : the weather for the entire week up at Aviemore was stunning, blue sky and shorts/t-shirt the entire week, i doubt January’s weather will be quite as forgiving

singlespeedstu

singlespeedstu : next time you all come up i’ll be able to join you for a proper ride out in the hills

We’re going to hold you to that. 😀
    I can’t think of anything better than being able to get out for a ride with you in your neck of the woods again.
    Well I can think of some thing better but that’ll come in the pub after the ride. 😀

Edit.
    Seriuosly mate you can’t sell your Soulcraft.
    It’d be like losing part of your body. 🙂

M1llh0use
    Free Member

Awesome!!

What’s the geometry numbers?

somafunk

67.5 head and 73.9 seat angle, 1210mm wheelbase and 490mm chain stay length with a 13.5 bb height – it should be quite a hoot to ride.

Seriuosly mate you can’t sell your Soulcraft.
    It’d be like losing part of your body.

There’s no point keeping it to hang on my wall for memories of what once was……I’m quite comfortable with losing parts of my body, lost two vertebrae, two ribs n’ bladder n’ bowel function due to the spinal damage so whilst my soulcraft was/is the best bike i’ve ever owned it’s time to admit that it won’t ever get ridden the way it used to be and sell it to someone who will (hopefully) get as much out of it as i did. 🙂

badbob
    Free Member

looks good! anything that keeps you on 2 wheels is a positive!

dlr

Nice purchase. I didn’t really agree with them until I rode one and was laughing quite a lot plus they definately have their place for the less mobile etc. Didn’t know about the official bypass kit, was thinking it would be quite simple to make one up but easier if they already make one. The 15mph limit was the worst thing about the one I rode offroad as when you hit 15 it was like riding into quick sand as you suddenly had 50lbs to contend with!

Now if they could only get them down to under 40lb and knock 50% off the prices I would go buy one 🙂

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘So i demo'd a Scott Spark E bike on holiday……..’ is closed to new replies.