• This topic has 86 replies, 32 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by grum.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 87 total)
  • Snowboard/ski: recommend a jacket that doesn't make me look like a clown
  • GrahamS

I could do with a new jacket this season, but flicking through the various ski/board websites I am thoroughly uninspired by the fashionable offerings available.

Most of them seem to be either bold clashy clown suits for people who want to be noticed or muted stuff that reminds of the dowdy C&A jackets that the bullied kids wore at school.

Any recommendations for jackets suitable for a 36 year old bloke (who is likely to still be using it when he is 40-something bloke)?

Technical is good: Cuffs, taped seams, goggle pocket, powder skirt etc all welcome.

I’m currently wearing something like this:

Graham models: forest green Burton cargo pants, “vintage” Westbeach jacket, dark gunmetal Smith helmet, and a Singletrack Buff (represent!).

So something that goes with that ensemble would be lovely.

(Apologies for crap photo – I usually take the snaps, not feature in them)

bikebouy
    Free Member

I have a Murhpy & Nye jacket, it’s most excellent.

peachos
    Free Member

check out two seasons – they have a sale on at the moment. some garish stuff, and some not so:

http://www.twoseasons.co.uk/mall/departmentpage.cfm/TwoSeasons/_120987/-/Jackets/departments-genericviewall

jhw
    Free Member

Query, would a Mountain Equipment Fitzroy jacket be appropriate, and a bit more versatile? Ski jackets normally make people look like balloon men

http://www.outdoorsmagic.com/reviews/other-clothing/insulated-clothing/mountain-equipment-fitzroy-jacket/34291.html

bazzer
    Free Member

Arcteryx Alpha SV

Will get another one when this one dies !!!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Burton Carhartt if you insist on riding around on a plank! 😉

Failing that, some Eider might suit sir;
    http://www.snowandrock.com/jackets/ski/fcp-category/list?resetFilters=true#filters=sex!male$BRAND!eider

Edukator
    Free Member

As an old man of the slopes a Schöffel seems the most appropriate. It’s light enough to be used as a summer hill jacket with the snow skirt zipped out and the goggle pocket removed. Don’t look at the price tag before you hand over the credit card.

freeridenick
    Free Member

Bright is good. makes you stand out better in pictures

GrahamS

some garish stuff…

[img]http://www.twoseasons.co.uk/mall/TwoSeasons/customerimages/products/t_H6JM01BIW1-2331.jpg[/img]

My eyes!

Ski jackets normally make people look like balloon men

I don’t need insulation so a hardshell is fine.
    I usually layer up if it is cold.

would a Mountain Equipment Fitzroy jacket be appropriate

Yeah, the main problem with non-snowboard specific stuff is they don’t have nice features like lift pass pocket, goggles pocket, snow skirt, glove cuffs etc.

DezB
    Free Member

Posted on the other thread surfdome.com have a massive range and all 20% off today.

GrahamS

Arcteryx Alpha SV

Ouch!

As an old man of the slopes a Schöffel seems the most appropriate.

Not this Schöffel I take it??

Bright is good. makes you stand out better in pictures

I don’t ride well enough to justify standing out 😀

Techy and not too gopping, if you don’t mind the staggering price! link

GrahamS

Meant to add, I’m helmeted, so non-hood or optional hood is good.

Tracey
    sweaman2
    Free Member

Patagonia have some nice stuff – Powder Bowl jacket? Primo jacket? Not cheap mind.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Graham, according to the industry, “colorblocking is bang on trend this season”. I know too much about this, sadly!

Not that Schoffel, no, but there’s a link between the companies!

Check out Eider for non-techy looking, really well performing kit with all the gizmos you need. I have a Tahoe from last year. Totally plain black, removable powder skirt, thumbloops, removable hood, goggle pockets, etc. etc. etc. Very impressed.

Of course, with a plain black jacket I have some seriously LOUD trousers! 🙂

marsdenman
    Free Member

If you’ve TK Maxx near by go take a peek – I’ve just picked up a TOTR (last season) Maier jacket for £80. Red but plain and simple…
    Edit – this 43 yo bloke is happy with his purchase 🙂

Flash!

Edukator
    Free Member

This sort of Schöffel

ocrider

Just remember that turquoise was last year (fortunately)

nedrapier

I’ve given up on snowskirts, I never found they stayed in place if I bailed. Ended up getting some bibs/salopettes from Trew Gear, which are ace, if you happen to be near a stockist.everything I wanted, and nothing I didn’t. I’d have got one of their jackets too, if I’d been in the market for one. Using a Rab Vapour Rise (Tour lite)for most things (got your pass pocket in the shoulder and soft pockets for goggles, too) and a Mountain equipement Changabang hardshell for when it’s very bitter. Nice jacket, rubbish zip. Getting the main zip replaced by Tundra Outdoor, whose work is amazing.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

10, if they were ski trousers, I’d wear ’em! Awesome!

Currently in a pair of TNF in bright orange, and some loony tunes “health and safety” bright Salomon.
    Orange ones are these;

(Not me, BTW, although I have ridden those BBRs!)

Digby

+1 for Arc’teryx.

They are definitely on the spendy side but I got fed up with ‘proper’ snowboard jackets from the likes of Westbeach, Quicksilver, Burton et al – that are either heavily padded so as soon as you’ve hiked a couple of feet you’re overheating or they soak up every bit of moisture/sleet at lower levels so when you are on the inevitable chilly chair lift you get cold really quickly.

And yeah it’s true – jazzy colours seemingly do look better in photos, but I still go for subdued ‘old goth in black’ look … 8)

Quite like CFH’s idea of a plain black jacket with some seriously loud strides!

I find wearing a decent jacket means you can fine tune to match the changing weather/aerobic activity with merino layers etc, and the same Arc’teryx jacket has lasted me 4 winters now (with an average of 6 weeks use each year) whereas previously I was having to buy a new jacket nearly every year as they would end up held together with duct-tape as the gaps between the trees are never as wide as they appear at first! 😯

Digby

… and nedrapier makes a good point about ‘powder skirts’ – they are often more trouble than they are worth I’ve found. The only functional ones (i.e. they don’t end up round your nipples when you wipe-out) are the ones that attach to your trousers with a system of loops … but you don’t want to get caught short trying to unfasten a dozen loops when nature comes-a-calling! 😳

justatheory
    Free Member

Sorry for the hijack but I’ve got a related question. I’m going on my 1st ever ski trip in Feb and was wondering if my Mountain Equipment Gore Tex hardshell would be suitable.

It’s intended as a climbing/hiking jacket really, so no powder skirt, ski pass wallet etc. Are the aforementioned just nice luxuries or is there some other reason that would make my shell not up to the task?

higgo
    Free Member

Captain – as an aside, what did you think of the BBRs?

Digby

@GrahamS – In your OP are you posing next to the sign at the top of the ‘Timber’ chair near the ‘Lost Boys Cafe’?

GrahamS

Yep. Good eyes Digby!

sweaman2
    Free Member

justatheory – Gore-tex hard shell will be fine for a first ski trip. The main thing to check is that what ever waterproof trousers you intend to use will fit over ski / board boots as they are considerably larger than mountainering boots.

justatheory
    Free Member

@Sweaman2

Cheers. I bought some ski specific trousers from Go Outdoors 1/2 price, so hopefully they’ll do the job.

Rio

Arcteryx Alpha SV
    Ouch!

My Arcteryx jacket will be doing its 8th season this year – most expensive ski jacket I’ve had but also the cheapest per week’s skiing. Not really suitable for snowboarding though – too stylish 🙂 . Remember folks – fashion is what goes out of fashion!

nedrapier

j a t: you’ll be fine, I use a ME Changabang, and it’s grand. Bells and whistles not necessary.

nedrapier

might be worth a look, Graham? Bombproof, if the bibs are anything to go by. Pricey, but should last for ever.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Quite like CFH’s idea of a plain black jacket with some seriously loud strides!

Ya knows it, blud, innit! Seriously though, you can wear a plain jacket away from skiing, so why not. Loud trews on it, though!

Higgo, see the Ski/Snowboard 2012 thread. 🙂

peachos
    Free Member

just seen this on the oakley webstore – pretty simple design but usual oakley quality and features. and half price!

http://uk.oakley.com/products/goods-jacket/411516K-001

willard

Tweed FTW.

I’m planning on replacing my current snowboard/ski atire with some nice tweed, or tweed pattern, clothing. Warm, stylish, hardwearing. What could possibly go wrong?

Tweed is excellent. Unfortunately, no one does a decent Harris tweed jacket and trousers. It’s all this technical rubbish…

I’m serious by the way. Snowboarding needs a bit of style.

nedrapier

willard, you might want to look out for Burton and Paul Smith doing another Mark XIII collabo:

bazzer
    Free Member

My Arcteryx jacket did my whole season where I did 103 days on the snow and the last 3 years where I have probably done 30 or so days each year.

Its just about lost its hydrophobic coating so water does not bead on it that well now, but being gortex its still watertight. its still in one piece all zips still work etc.

Just a shell so you can layer for the conditions.

GrahamS

Black jackets look good, but don’t you sweat like a mofo when it’s a sunny blue sky day?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 87 total)

The topic ‘Snowboard/ski: recommend a jacket that doesn't make me look like a clown’ is closed to new replies.