Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Smart TV – numpty TV question
  • yetidave
    Free Member

I know someone who has a smart TV, which suggests that they need a LAN cable to connect it to the internet. the router is quite a distance from the TV. Could they just plug a wifi dongle into the USB ports? (Its a Samsung BTW)

scotroutes

The TV might have WiFi built in

firestarter
    Free Member

Mine 2 can be by cable or wireless connection but others may be different. Worth a look tho

nickjb
    Free Member

Its unlikely but does work with some TVs. You usually need a specific USB dongle so maybe find an owners recommendation. Another option is a home plug to extend the wired network

Jamie
    Free Member

Powerline adapters could be a viable solution.

Cougar

I very much doubt it.

The USB will probably be for media only. Anything clever like a wireless Ethernet adaptor will need to be supported by the set (think drivers in the PC world); you’d need to check with the manufacturer to see if they recommend anything.

The simplest way of avoiding cable runs is probably “homeplug” style Ethernet-over-power plugs.

yetidave
    Free Member

powerline adapters, hadn#t considered that…good call. don’t think its wifi, certainly couldn’t see an option on the menu.

GrahamA
    Free Member

You may need a WIS12ABGNX which is a bit expensive at £57.96 as the TV would not have the drivers for a generic wifi adapter.

Google the model number and I’m sure you will find the information you need

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Is it even 4K, bro?

Klunk
    Free Member

because the amp, bluray player and games console were also in need of a network connection I installed a 5 way switch and ran a cable from that to the main router.

allthepies
    Free Member

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/USB-Wireless-WiFi-Network-Dongle-Bridge-RJ45-Ethernet-Port-2-4GHz-Adapter-Cable-/121591891305

Plug in to the ethernet port of the TV, use a USB port to power it. Works well.

andyl
    Free Member

If no wi-fi then you would need a specific Samsung dongle.

You can get WiFi dongles that plug into the LAN port though and pretend to be the wired network. They were popular with few consoles before WiFi was installed on them.

Another option is a powerline ethernet adapter. Very good option of you have a few smart devices and you can get some which do ethernet a d WiFi extension.

Edit ^ all covered above while I was on the phone!

yetidave
    Free Member

not 4k no. I think that a wifi extender plugged into the back is probably the best option. thanks folks!!

whitestone
    Free Member

I’ve used a powerline adapter with ours, worked fine.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Smart TV – numpty TV question’ is closed to new replies.