Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • SLX 10 Speed Chainset – will it work with a 9 speed chain and block?
  • redx

With SLX 10-speed chainsets being cheaper than the equivalent 9-speed units on Chainreaction, can I get a 10 speed version and use it with a 9 speed set-up?

Cheers,

Alex

PS I know 9-speed sets are cheaper on Wiggle, but not due in until January……

bigsi
    Free Member

A mate who is the mgr of my lbs said the chain width is slightly different so no the two are not compatable. Also if you run the block & chain with 9 spd rear mech & shifter then the throw (i think thats what its called) is slightly different so it won’t shift properly.

Thats what I’ve been told any way.

karnali
    Free Member

would have thought the chainset will work ok, if it was trying ot use a 9 spd chain on a 10 spd cassette then that may not work.

redx

Currently using a 9 speed system but am after a new chainset. Only reason for looking at the 10-speed system is price. Everything else would be 9-speed (chain, cassette, mechs & shifters).

Will have to investigate whether the spacing between the rings on a 10 speed chainset differs to a 9 speed chainset…..

Cheers,

Alex

Eggbox
    Free Member

I imagine it would work

anc
    Free Member

10 speed road chainsets worked fine with 9 speed setups. Can’t see why a mtb would be much different.

rootes1

will work fine in terms of chain and ring interface

worth checking the ring spacing on the 10 speed triple to compare to the 9 speed triple

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘SLX 10 Speed Chainset – will it work with a 9 speed chain and block?’ is closed to new replies.