Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • slovenia mtb
  • vanalan
    Free Member

maybe having a trip to slovenia this summer, up in the mountains near bovec or tolmin, has anybody had any experience of the area ?

coffeeking
    Free Member

Yup, I've been to bovec MTBing. What would you like to know?

Trekster

I to have been over tha bridge 😆

Good shop in middle of village to hire bikes and they also do uplifts to the bikepark if they have enough people.
    Beware brakes are opposite way round!! Easy enough to get used to but took me ages to re-adjust when I got home. Lots of good walking paths. I just got a good map and went exploring. Maps are not as detailed as our OS ones 😕 . Had some interesting rides/hike`a bike 😆

Really enjoyed our stay in Bovec. Very friendly place/people. There is(was)a small cafe/ice cream shop opposite the big hotel which is frequented by the locals which has some cracking cakes :lol:Lots of walking and water sports on the river Soca. Tandem parachuting can be had at the local clubs airfield nearby. There is a chairlift up onto the mountain which takes bikes. Something like 12euro 3yrs ago. Good price I thought then when the exchange rate was better 🙄

andytherocketeer

Did Bovec and the mtbpark near Prevalje/Mezica last year. And looks like we're going back to Bovec again this year 🙂

Didn't do the Kanin bike park @ Bovec but just a couple of routes picked from mtb-slowenien.de guide book (in German).

Yes the river really is that colour 🙂

coffeeking
    Free Member

Bike park? I never found a bike park? I found loads of out-and-back rides from bovec and a couple of DH runs but they were not spectacular IMO. It was a nice place to take the missus and enjoy the relaxing nature.

That bridge is bloody scary when your centre of mass is WAY above the railing and it's swinging side to side!

Good things to do like canyoning, walking, rafting. Fun places to go and amazing scenery. Nice eateries that are stupendously cheap.

<EDIT> Oh, it seems I did find the bike park, but it didn't seem much like a bike park.

Other half jumping on the bike park.
    And yup, water is that colour.

vanalan
    Free Member

Here i was thinking nobody would have ever been!
    Thinking of flying to venice,hire car about 2hr drive i think !
    Is there enough riding to warrant taking the bike,if so are routes easy to find?

andytherocketeer

there's more than plenty of riding. and then a bit more on top.

cheap flights to Ljubljana too on EZY i think.

Trekster

andytherocketeer – Member
    there's more than plenty of riding. and then a bit more on top.

cheap flights to Ljubljana too on EZY i think.

Yeah but it`s about a 4hr drive up and down the Julian Alps through the Italian border and back into Slov. Scenic tho.

Is there enough riding to warrant taking the bike,if so are routes easy to find?

Depends on how much biking you inted to do?
    I just went to the tourist info office, bought the best map available and went exploring. The walking trails are all marked by the international painted rings on a boulder type thing!! Sometime you will end up hike a bike but it is all part of the fun. Gets warm and the odd thunderstorm comes along quite quickly.
    Most of the people speak very good english, being taught 2/3 languages at school. The area is popular with the Italians, Germas, Austrians etc.
    Free of UK lager louts 😉

knott4me
    Free Member

you jammy lot.was in lake bled 2 years ago for 5 days sweet riding.
    seriously this is as good as les gets.

big_scot_nanny

I have a Slovenian mtb'ing friend, we have been chatting recently about me and a buddy taking a trip over to see him. The article in issue 45 sure made it sound great, and I love the hospitality of the balkan-ish countries.

Blaz (said Slovenian mate) is a bit hardcore, and the video's he keeps sending me (not of him I might add) show some pretty challenging riding! top tips appear to be:
    1) cut down my bars so they will fit down the trails 😯
    2) learn how to do that endo tail-whip thing to make the corners

some of that looks great, but it also looks bloody terrifying! 😀

kev

Dave
    Free Member

Here i was thinking nobody would have ever been!

You don't read the mag then? We've run two trip reports on Slovenia and Tolmin in particular…

On the way to Bovec, 3rd trip to Slovenia last summer.

Dixie's trails on the Austrian border and other trails from around the country.

Tolmin goodness

NWAlpsJeyerakaBoz
    Free Member

Off out there in June again, after a great time in '06.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘slovenia mtb’ is closed to new replies.