Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Slackset on 1 and 1/8th headtube?
  • docrobster
    Free Member

Is there any point?
    I have a FS bike with a 68deg unsagged head angle. I’d like it to be slacker really but don’t want/can’t afford longer forks.
    On one sell these slacksets that supposedly take the head angle out by 1 degree.
    The head tube is 120mm long and standard 1.125, so they have one that fits, but will it make a noticeable difference to the head angle? I suspect not, has anyone fitted one to a similar frame and noticed a difference when riding?

GW
    Free Member

What a stupid question

warpcow
    Free Member

I’m kind of with GW on this one. It’ll make a one(-ish) degree difference, which is a difference. Whether you’ll feel it or not is another matter. I assume when you say you want to make it slacker, you mean slacker by more than 1 degree?

Increasing fork length by 20mm, which I’d guess is round about the biggest jump you could make, will also give roughly 1 degree. The difference between the two methods is that the headset will marginally lower you BB and the longer forks will raise it.

sambob
    Free Member

You could combine the headset with offset shock bushes to increase the amount of slackness…

docrobster
    Free Member

Cheers for that warpcow, I guess the reason I asked was cos I couldn’t see the point of these slacksets anyway, maybe if you have a short fat headtube and can change the angle by 2 degrees or more it might be worth it.
    I wonder if they have actually sold any for standard head tubes?
    And GW thanks again for your as ever charming and helpful response. you really are a delightful human being. 🙄

Underhill
    Free Member

My mate fitted one to his bike, taking it from about 68 down to around 67. He has a set of offset bushings ordered to, but reckoned the Slackset made a noticeable difference to the ride so far.

GW
    Free Member

I’m peckish, I’d like a biscuit, there are biscuits in my cupboard. But is there any point?

I know, I’ll ask on STW 🙄

sv

I know, I’ll ask on STW

Depends if they are chocolate or plain?

GW
    Free Member

Got both, which would you prefer I have sv?

scruff
    Free Member

As you’ve dared ask a question about MTBs on an MTB website, there are also other headset options-

http://www.workscomponents.co.uk/index.asp

verticalclimber
    Free Member

have a works components one on my rigid hummer does feel quite different

docrobster
    Free Member

cheers for that link scruff, very helpful

warpcow
    Free Member

I think I’m correct in saying that the On One headset is just a rebranded Works one(?). There’s also an Israeli guy who can custom-make them for about the same price (might be able to eke out a slightly bigger change), but I forget his name. He’s on mtbr a lot.

docrobster
    Free Member

Hmm I bought a rear mech hanger from an israeli off ebay a few years ago I guess its probably him.

Rickos
    Free Member

I’d wager it will make a noticeable difference.

edd

I have a 1 degree Works Components on my hardtail (traditional 1 1/8″). Makes a difference IMO.
    http://www.workscomponents.co.uk/works-components—10-degree-ec34—traditional-1-18-fitment-6-p.asp

brant
    Free Member

The way we write “On-One Slackset by Works Components” is a bit of a giveaway.

http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/HSWCSLS/on_one_slackset_headset_by_works_components_for_carbon_456

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Slackset on 1 and 1/8th headtube?’ is closed to new replies.