Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)
  • Skoda Roomster?
  • SammyC
    Free Member

OK, so Marmite looks aside, any views or experience of them?

Need a newer family car to replace our Focus as need more boot space for camping/Alps/etc and kids in back are getting bigger and don’t get much in the way of leg room when I’m driving.

Oh, and would probably have a budget of 7-9 grand.

anagallis_arvensis

Have been in a Roomster not sure it had any more usable space than my fabia estate which would be mabe a bit smaller than a focus.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

My god-fearing cousin has one, and so does my aunt, who is semi-god-fearing.

Harry_the_Spider

My semi-fearing aunt does not have one.

HTH

sweepy
    Free Member

My Mrs has had two now and she’s not god fearing at all 🙂
    There isnt as much useable space as you might think, compounded by a stupid great lip on the tailgate that makes loading a pain. But apart from servicing neither of them have seem the inside of a garage.
    If you get one dont penny pinch and get the one without roof rails, there are no roofbars that will fit without them.

ElShalimo

Wouldn’t a Berlingo be a better choice?

SammyC
    Free Member

To be honest the rear passenger area is pretty important as I have the drivers seat nearly all the way back. I think the roomster has sliding rear seats. Also the eldest gets travelsick so good visibility is also important.

Not a fan of French cars after a particularly unreliable Renault.

MoreCashThanDash

We test drove one – 1.6Tdi with the DSG autobox.

Probably the nicest car we tried – pulled nicely, drove nicely, comfy, nice driving position, more than enough room for what we wanted (it was to be the second car) and you can’t see what it looks like from the inside.

But it was only 6 inches shorter than the Octavia that is the main family car, so we got a Fabia instead.

And I doubt it has much more usable room than a Focus.

For what you have described, how about looking at a Golf Plus?

tthew

I’ve had them as hire cars a couple of times, and apart from them looking like an unholy alliance between a small hatch and an icecream van they are ace. You can get them with that nice 1.2tsi petrol engine, and there’s an internal bike rack option.

I list my religion as CofE on surveys and questionnaires, but really only go at Christmas and for weddings and such.

allfankledup

ElShalimo – Member

Wouldn’t a Berlingo be a better choice?

what ElShalimo said….

SammyC
    Free Member

Walked past one today and it does seem smaller than I thought.

Not sure about the golf as money is pretty tight and don’t expect I’ll get much better than we already have.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Looked at one when they first arrived and was disappointed with the interior space. It’s high but not that usable. I still think they look fun and interesting – Skoda’s styling is far more distinctive than the mass market.

Berlingo looks a lot more practical

Paul_F
    Free Member

Why not get a Focus Tourer (Estate) – I just got one and the luggage space is “voluminous”

Daisy_Duke
    Free Member

My parents have one, enough said. Unless you’re 69yrs, a vegetarian and complete with beard buy a Berlingo / Qubo or Doblo etc.

Daisy_Duke
    Free Member

There is a reason my Skoda are going to kill it this year….Avoid the 3 cylinder diesel….

mudshark
    Free Member

I have one and it’s great 🙂 I use the extra height by putting my bike into a bike bag and taking one of the rear seats out, then have loads of space left for luggage. My son seems to enjoy being in the back as loads of glass to look out of. Drives really nicely, far better than the similar cars I tried – that was a big deal for me coming from a nice to drive car (Puma). I think the fleixible rear seats are great and maybe an estate would have similar space but not as practical.

Northwind

We have one for work, the good news is that once you’re inside you can’t tell how ugly it is, as long as you don’t look at passers-by’s faces anyway. It’s well put together (it’s a site vehicle so it gets treated like crap, it takes it very well), comfy, but… Yeah, little bit pointless, I like the higher roof but it’s mostly wasted with a small boot. I’m yet to meet anyone who thinks it makes any sense, it’s not so small that you can do small-car stuff with it.

spacecadett
    Free Member

Pope mobile.

konabunny
    Free Member

Not sure if the Pope goes into the god fearing category or not.

zip
    Free Member

I have one and think it’s great. I got a 58 plate from new 1.9tdi. It’s very reliable and economical.

Mostly I drive it with the rear seats out and use it as van. Bikes fit in upright no problem with front wheel off and this “lack of usable space” is bullocks. I have managed to move house twice with it, on multiple trips of course. It’s great for taking stuff to the dump too. I should have got one with roof bars fitted though. Was quoted £260 to fit from authorised dealer.

But yes, it looks like a dodgy cut and shut.

SammyC
    Free Member

I guess I’ll have go have a look at one properly then. I think the bootspace will probably be fine as its bigger than on our focus and we have a large roof box we could use. Its rear ppassenger space that is most important really as on long trips that becomes quite an issue.

ElShalimo

Just be aware of the extra height the roof box will be at. If you’re tall it might not be an issue but mounting one and putting stuff in one is harder at a greater height.
    Granted it’s not as high as a discovery but it’s higher than a normal car

mudshark
    Free Member

I think the flexibility is the thing more than the space, with all rear seats in place it probably has little to offer over an estate. It’s a car that can be a van but drives like a car, all the others I tried were not nice to drive. Oh, a publican chap I know uses his to transport 4 beer kegs at a time so think he finds the height useful.

wallop

Sam, do you want to carry out an inspection of my Passat estate? It fits your budget requirements and last year I carried a couple of 6ft 3 inch chaps in the back to Gatwick – they all remarked how spacious it was!

anagallis_arvensis

The problem is the chassis is based on the fabia so it makes it a small car/van. If your after more leg room in the back its not going to be the right car.

SammyC
    Free Member

Cheers Jen, next door has one too and Clare is against the length of the thing as its a nightmare to park around here, thanks though.

@anagallis_arvensis my understanding is that the rear seats can slide back and also the middle one removed and the outer two moved in to give more rear room. But I guess I need to try that to see if its really all that useful.

Oh and we’d probably be getting a tow bar mounted bike carrier so interior space isnt that critical. Lot of food for thought though so much appreciated!

Nipper99
    Free Member

mother in law has one, she likes it and it has survived my mother in law for a few years now so it must be good!

Northwind

SammyC – Member

I guess I’ll have go have a look at one properly then. I think the bootspace will probably be fine as its bigger than on our focus

I’m comparing a current Roomster with a last-model Focus hatch here but while the Roomster boot might be a decent volume, it’s all up and down which makes it much less useful than the Focus boot unless you’re piling up boxes or carrying tall things. For everyday use- say, carrying bags of shopping- it’s effectively far smaller. Generally when we’re using it, it’s hauling closed boxes of stuff and it swallows tons of kit like that.

That’s in 4 seat config btw, I’ve not seen it with 2.

Euro
    Free Member

You could moonlight as a hearse driver for midget funerals if you get a black one

SammyC
    Free Member

Cheers northwind that’s really useful to know. Doesn’t sound likely then to be an option, shame because on paper it seemed to tick all the boxes.

bajsyckel

To add my 2p worth – no, the boot isn’t anything to write home about with all back seats in their normal position. But with 1,2 or 3 seats folded forward or, even better, removed, there is tonnes of space. Yes a lot of it is up and down rather than sheer area but unless you just want to place bags of shopping side by side that’s really useful for big/ awkward items (like bikes or getting changed in the back). The height and a low footwell means the back is also pretty comfy to sit in for taller people/adults.

IMO there are plenty of big estates with bigger boots when the seats are up but the folding options and removal make Roomsters pretty versatile. They aren’t huge externally or internally – Berlingos, Doblos and their ilk are way bigger (especially the new versions) but the few I’ve used are by comparison terrible to drive. But for my needs the roomster’s “usable space” with seats out is as good or better than all but the very biggest estates, and those are likely to be way more expensive to buy and run etc… If it’s in your budget I’d go and try a roomster and play around with the seats (i.e. if you don’t need 3 in the back all the time see how that works), see how it drives before writing them off.

Just seen budget of 7-9k, should easily be within budget but you might fancy something “nicer” seeing as you have the cash.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Someone mentioned a Golf Plus. My in-laws have one and the boot is pathetic.

RooleyMoor
    Free Member

what about a Skoda Yeti?

A little less boot space than the Roomster, but better looking?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2010-10-Reg-Skoda-Yeti-1-2-TSi-S-/191031200893?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item2c7a58cc7d

What about the ever-popular Octavia Estate?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/09-SKODA-OCTAVIA-1-9-SE-TDI-5-DOOR-DIESEL-SILVER-/370937373972?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item565d972514

We get 2 adults/2 kids/camping gear in easily.

Although, we now also use a half roof box and have 4 bikes slung off the back of it! 😆

redstripe
    Free Member

It used to be Citroen Xsara Picasso’s with those fishy god things stuck on the back and a certain type of driver, the Roomster now seems to be taking over this role around our way, each to their own. How about a black VW caddy maxi life?

ninfan
    Free Member

Well, bringing this up to the top because I’ve just been to have a look at one, and I have to say I’m actually bloody impressed

Seems a perfect bike wagon, and looks like it would be great for weekend away camping with the bikes.

And then I did the sums, and this seems a fantastic offer:

So, once you’re past the looks – any reasons not to for 10K?

hora
    Free Member

Its got 86bhp? Even part loaded it’ll be hideously slow. If I was going to get one of those it’d be a 1.4 or 1.9TDI for the torque.

For 10k better to get a newish secondhand newshape Mondeo estate.

ninfan
    Free Member

Yeah, no interest in diesel due to a fair number of school runs – cue quick death of DPF.

surely up until just a few years ago, 2l diesels were only pushing 90 horse (they were reliable then too…)

hora
    Free Member

Then the petrol?

Its 10k- in three years it’ll be 5k and it’ll be slow and annoying on every away trip you make.

MoreCashThanDash

I’ve driven a Golf with that 1.2, 86hp engine and was surprised how well it went. Admittedly unloaded, just me in it.

That looks a great deal if practicality is more important to you than image or speed. I would if I were in your position

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘Skoda Roomster?’ is closed to new replies.