Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 211 total)
  • Sir David of Beckham
  • Jamie
    Free Member

What a good egg.

Beeb

terrahawk
    Free Member

legend.

woody2000

Playing for nowt as it’s about all he’s worth these days 😉

Good on him 😀

mrlebowski
    Free Member

Im not a fan of the guy particularly but chapeau none the less.

sharkbait
    Free Member

Far too nice to be a footballerist. Good on him.

Markie
    Free Member

legend.

An emphatic +1!

atlaz
    Free Member

Agreed. Classy move for the man. I think after this he needs to bow out gracefully

fadda

Now, there was cynical me thinking he can’t be worth much these days.

Turns out he’s worth more than any other sportsman I can think of.

Chapeau, indeed, Mr Beckham!

bikebouy
    Free Member

I’m not a fan, but this is a good story, good for his PR machine and will no doubt push his career towards “humanitarian of the year” or a Nobel Peace Prize of some distinction.

I do think his Academy thing he has going is top notch.

So I should really shut up now.

JEngledow
    Free Member

I know there are going to be a lot of people speculating on his ulterior motives, but I don’t really care about why he’s doing it, it’s a great way to end his career and will silence the critics who are saying he’s only in it for the money.

Markie
    Free Member

Thought this story gave the measure of the man when I first read it. Classy guy.

benjbish

Love the idea…. a true gent.

peterfile
    Free Member

I think the cynics are being too cynical.

He’s already held in pretty high esteem by the masses (as far as footballers go), he doesn’t need to ditch a few million to enhance his reputation.

Fantastic gesture regardless of the motive.

xiphon
    Free Member

Good cause, but an even better PR stunt (for a knighthood?)

His ‘salary’ for the next 5 months is a small fraction of his wealth…

Jamie
    Free Member

I’ve been expecting you… 😐

wrightyson
    Free Member

Xiphon 🙄

Becks is a ledge and fair play to him!

CaptJon
    Free Member

Twist: he’s only being paid minimum wage.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Drogba should hire Becks Publicity machine

Drogba is credited with playing a vital role in bringing peace to his country.[108] After Côte d’Ivoire qualified for the 2006 World Cup, Drogba made a desperate plea to the combatants, asking them to lay down their arms, a plea which was answered with a cease fire after five years of civil war. Drogba later helped move an African Cup of Nations qualifier to the rebel stronghold of Bouake; a move that helped confirm the peace process.[109] On 24 January 2007, Drogba was appointed by the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) as a Goodwill Ambassador. The UNDP were impressed with his previous charity work and believed that his high profile would help raise awareness on African issues.[110] In September 2011, Drogba joined the Truth, Reconciliation and Dialogue Commission as a representative to help return peace to his home nation.[111] His involvement in the peace process led to Drogba being named as one of the world’s 100 most influential people by Time magazine for 2010.[112] Drogba’s charity work continued when, in late 2009, he announced he would be donating the £3 million signing on fee for his endorsement of Pepsi for the construction of a hospital in his hometown of Abidjan. This work was done through Drogba’s recently created “Didier Drogba Foundation” and Chelsea announced they too would donate the fee for the deal toward the Foundation’s project. Drogba decided on building the hospital after a recent trip to the Ivorian capital’s other hospitals, saying “…I decided the Foundation’s first project should be to build and fund a hospital giving people basic healthcare and a chance just to stay alive.

nealglover
    Free Member

Someone gives £3m + to charity.

And you criticise him because its not enough 🙄

How much of your salary do you donate to charity each month ?

deluded
    Free Member

Oh dear 🙄 That’s probably of little importance to the children that will benefit from his donation.

Good on him.

Jamie
    Free Member

I believe they tried to. Apparently one of the PR guys saw Drogba in the street, ran up behind him and tapped him on the arm. Unfortunately, Drogba was in game mode, so fell over and rolled off down the street 8)

Junkyard
    Free Member

Strength of an ox pain threshold of a butterfly was the best comment i heard

Still Drogba does more without the PR was my point

Gary_C

‘Brand Beckham’ promoting himself yet again.

Why announce that he’s ‘playing for free & donating his salary to charity’? Why not just do it & not publicise it?

Cynical, me?

trailmonkey

Still Drogba does more without the PR was my point

hmmm. not sure about this. i’d wager that in africa, everyone (with access to media) knows about drogba whereas beckham might well be less of a news story. no suprise that african news has no profile here and most people are unaware of drogba’s actions.

either way, hats off to both of them. they’ve both long since earned enough to never need another pay day again.

Jamie
    Free Member

Why announce that he’s ‘playing for free & donating his salary to charity’? Why not just do it & not publicise it?

Because he was asked about his wages/fee in the press conference, given to talk about the move to PSG.

…also, if the guy wants to tell everyone he has just donated a shit load of cash to charity, why shouldn’t he be able to?

Junkyard
    Free Member

Trail monkey

A good point well made …you are wasted here 😉

seba560
    Free Member

‘Sfunny, you make that sound like it’s a bad thing……. Beckham speaks and the world is likely to listen. Gary_C speaks and no-one really notices. Good on him for getting the publicity.

stanfree
    Free Member

Eh maybe ,It might just make other overpaid sports stars think about doing the same. He seems to be dammed If he does something good , bear In mind he has to put up with looking at Posh’s greetin face everyday .

Well done Becks , Nice touch.

billyblackheart
    Free Member

I think this is brilliant, but then again I’ve been a fan or at least felt for him since the times idiotic soccer fans were burning effigies of him in the street for missing a goal.

However, I’m sure that donating 3m to charity will do his tax bill some serious favours 😉

wrecker
    Free Member

Yeah cos beckham really struggles to get publicity…….
    He didnt have to do it. There are many others with much more who do much less.
    Regardless of the motivations, the result is that a children’s charity will be receiving some much needed funds which is what matters.

sc-xc

Cynical, me?

If Beckham nips out to get bog roll, it makes the papers. I’m sure that him donating a chunk of cash like this would have found it’s way into the public arena….why not ensure the message is managed properly?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

.why not ensure the message is managed properly, and that the charity receives some great extra publicity from it as well?”

Good on the fella. I approve.

enfht
    Free Member

He should have bailed out Walthamstow Dogs when he had the chance. Local boy done good after all.

samjgeorge86
    Free Member

I hate football, and footballers in general. But Beckham has done a fantastic thing here.
    Who cares if it’s a publicity stunt? Or a move to get a knighthood? I’m sure the charity receiving his money won’t care less. At the end of the day they need the money, he has the money and doesn’t need more. Good on the bloke. No point being cynical about it.

tonyd

Well played Becks. Top bloke with a big heart.

emma82
    Free Member

He’s soooooo lovely *sighs*

nealglover
    Free Member

However, I’m sure that donating 3m to charity will do his tax bill some serious favours

Well, he won’t have to pay tax on the £3m he’s giving away no.

But it’s cost him £3m to do it. 😉

He could have had 5 months off work and been in the same position.

philbert31
    Free Member

There is another positive here though, I think this will prove a great motivator to get people putting their hands in their pockets aswell!

Good on him

TheFopster
    Free Member

Seems like a decent chap still vaguely in touch with reality and with some sense of humility. Fair enough. He’s no Cantona though…

rewski
    Free Member

I love his hair at the moment. That’s all.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 211 total)

The topic ‘Sir David of Beckham’ is closed to new replies.