Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Singular Peregrine: how do you like yours?
  • Mattie_H
    Free Member

I’m looking for something to replace my Cotic X and have started to think about the Singular Peregrine. The X has been great but has been a victim of its own success: it’s got me more into riding on road and touring as well as exploring the local BWs and woods to the point that I’d like something a bit more versatile–steel frame and forks with braze ons for full racks and mudguards and plenty of clearance. The Peregrine clearly fits the bill but I was just wondering how other people had them set up and what your experiences were. I’m interested, in particular, in any experiences of touring on it.

Thanks for your time!

crispedwheel
    Free Member

Looks like a lovely, proper old-school frame! No real-life experience of it though – sorry.

Ishouldbeworking
    Free Member

Old picture but the only one I have, now has gears and normal drop bars, I use it for commuting which it does well, I think it would be a great tourer.

My other steel road frame is much livelier and quicker though, this is pretty relaxed.

theflatboy
    Free Member

if anyone wants to sample the excellent peregrine fork, i’ve got a spare knocking about that used to be on the front of my pompino prior to upping to the pompetamine. 🙂

drofluf
    Free Member

I really like mine, very comfortable to ride, handles nicely. Only negative is a small amount of toe overlap

ir_bandito
    Free Member

i really like mine, but sadly have to sell it to cover costs on other bikes 🙁

Singular_brown by ir_bandito, on Flickr

Alfine-8 with Versa levers, LX dynamo hub, Shimano cable disc brakes lots of shiny bits etc etc

email in profile

Mattie_H
    Free Member

That’s very nice ir_bandito. What size is it? And how tall are you?

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Its a medium.
    I’m about 6’1″, although a disproportionate amount of that is leg (hence the shortish stem).

It rides really nicely. It was bought for commuting, when I used to ride 20 miles a day. New job is only 1 mile away, so I can do it on any bike and as i need the cash, the Singular has to go.

I’ve done a couple of 50 mile road rides on it, including over Hartside Pass (in the dark – Busch & Muller light is great!). Its not light, but is still a steady climber. Downhill its super stable, and smooth with the 2″ tyres!

Just had the Alfine serviced at Madison and am putting it all back together tonight with a good clean up.

Mattie_H
    Free Member

Thanks for all the details: it’s really helpful! I’m 5′ 11″ so a medium sounds about right. Whereabouts are you?

OCB
    Free Member

Mine gets used out on back-country tarmac, farm-lanes, bridleways …

I’ve not toured on mine, but I’m sure it’d be fine from the day-rides it’s done.
    I find mine very comfortable … it’s not especially light, but it’s got a good, solid, reassuring feel about it which definitely helps by the end of the ride.

It’s a bike for life I’d say (if you’ve got the space).

Mine has had remarkably few changes since building it in September 2008! (Blimey, who knows where the time goes?) …

Pretty rum pictures, but here’s mine in it’s usual territory; that type/condition farm-lane is particularly common riding for mine.

If I rode ‘bigger’ stuff more, it’d be on fatter tyres.

Occasionally mine has Bonty’ Jones CX tyres on, but only occasionally as I find that they are just a bit too draggy on tarmac – I think this bike climbs brilliantly, so if you ride lots of muddy, slippery slopes, you might find that they are a good match for that.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

I’m in Hexham, Northumberland.

email me if you want a more detailed spec on the bike and more pics etc.

headfirst
    Free Member

I quite fancy one of these, but want a complete bike, they’re only available as frame and fork I believe? (I’m not quite in a position to buy at the moment, bandito!

If I was feeling adventurous and had a go at building it up, roughly how much extra should I budget for? I’m thinking touring set-up: triple chainset, drop bars, disc brakes etc…any ideas?

Mattie_H
    Free Member

YGM

nedrapier

headfirst: unpick this if you can: cpoied and pasted from excel build/order s’sheet. Might help?

Frame + forks 565.00 Singular Peregrine medium
    bar tape 5.98 Black
    levers 19.99 Tektro RL520 (black)
    chain 9.99 Izumi green (Eco?)
    wheels
    rims 99.00 Open Pro CD grey – no silver braking surface
    hubs 64.98 M529 32 hole
    spokes (length?) 45.00 DT comp 2mm/1.8mm/2mm inc brass nipples
    tyres 54.00 28mm Conti ultra Gatorskins (kevlar bead?)
    single speed spacers + 16t sprocket 12.99 Condor
    tubes 19.95 specialized x 10
    chainring 44.99 Salsa Singlespeed 48T 104 bcd
    dura ace 7700 shifters
    Total 941.87

headset MX pro – on-one c/own – buy 25
    bars o-o midge c/own – buy 25
    caliper/rotor BB7 c/own – buy 99.98
    chainring surly 48T c/own
    stem c/own
    cranks c/own
    pedals c/own
    bottom bracket c/own
    saddle c/own
    seatpost c/own
    collar inc w. frame

nedrapier

1200 at the very least, I reckon. If you’re buying everything new. You might want better wheeels, or to budget in for racks, mudguards, panniers etc.

Mattie_H
    Free Member

How tall are you nedrapier? I’m trying to work out sizes…

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Here’s a more recent one of mine:

DSC_0207 by ir_bandito, on Flickr

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

There are some great pictures on this thread

headfirst
    Free Member

cheers for the info ned, very useful

nedrapier

No worries.

Mattie: I’m 5’11”. Normally proportioned, as far as I’m aware.

I actually went for the small in the end. Condor put me on their fitting jig and reckoned that I could go for either, but the small would work better, let me use a stem that would work the steering better etc. I think I remember Sam saying on here that he was going to redo the sizing: the med could be a large, small a medium etc.

Might be worth getting on a jig and trying the different sizes. Condor were quite surprised about the gap between the small and the large.

nedrapier

Swedish chef, could you repost the link? address is http:///

nedrapier

OCB, what tyres are those?

Here’s a couple of pics of mine, not quite as artistic as OCBs!

Singlespeed Commuter:

Off Road:

Tarty FunTime:

dman1234
    Free Member

what size bottom brackets and cranks are you guys using? 68x____ I’m having trouble with my chainring hitting my chainstay? Can’t wait to finish this build.

2.1 wtb nano raptor tires
    dt swiss 520 rims
    dt swiss 350 hubs
    Ritchey stem

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Singular Peregrine: how do you like yours?’ is closed to new replies.