Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Singular Peregrine – anyone built with Alfine – chainline/chainset help?
  • skyhigh_71

Hi,

Has anyone built a Peregrine with an Alfine? I’m in the process of building mine with an Alfine 11 speed. The chainline on the alfine seems very narrow at about 42mm. I am trying to recycle an FSA compact chainset using the 34 tooth smaller ring only. Ideally I’d have liked this on the outer position. Looks like the 34 tooth ring I want to use should be near the line I need in the inner position, but this is going to look pretty cack with no ring on the outside and probably some washers to space out the chain ring bolts.

One crazy thought I had was to buy another 34 tooth ring and try and find a machine shop to cut down the old ring, removing all the teeth and fitting this on the outside like a bash ring covering the outside spider arm cutouts and negating the need for washers on the chainring bolts.y

Anyone have any good ideas or maybe pics of your Alfine installed?

Many thanks

Woodcutter
    Free Member

Can’t help with advice on the chainline, but I keep daydreaming about a Peregrine / Alfine build. Will you post pics when you’re done?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

YOu can adjust the chainline on an alfine – some nexus sprockets are dished and they can be mounted either way round giving you a range of chainlines.

with normal MTB spacing the chainring goes in the middle ring position fine. You can get specific alfine cranksets as well- dunno what he spacing is on them

Kahurangi

I have tried to improve my alfine chainline… it’s not great though.

I have an MTB width chainset, which has put the chainring really far out.

The Alfine branded chainset doesn’t fit the frame.. it hits the chainstay. 😳

I haven’t yet spun the sprocket round as TJ suggests, cos the snap ring was such a pig to get out/in last time.

I was going to get in touch with Singular Sam to see what he thinks is the beast achievable chainline with a 45t chainring.

I’m probably going to have to go sq taper to achieve it though!

calling ir_bandito to the thread….

skyhigh_71

Hi all, thanks for the responses.

TJ, sorry cannot see how the alfine sprocket can be reversed as there is an integrated chain guard which has to go on the outside?

Yes I’ll post some pics when its finished. I am going to get some washers to pad out the chainring bolts, just to get finished and riding.

cheers

Saccades
    Free Member

ignore the plastic chain guard, it’s good for nothing.

nexus are offset on the 18 and 20 tooth so you can move in or out.

my pompino with alfine crank rubbed the inbuilt bashguard until ther was almost nothing to rub, nexus fixed that.

my ebb frame mtb uses a ht 1 crank, ring on middle 32t, with light bashguard.

gives a good chain line looks better than ring on outer.

nb drunk on ps3 so typifying a bit gash

Kahurangi

Yeah, remove the plastic bashguard 🙂

Saccades – how much clearance does the 32t chainring leave you? Reckon you could get a bigger one on there?

I don’t have any sexeh looking pics of my build, but…

ir_bandito’s

skyhigh_71

nb drunk on ps3 so typifying a bit gash

LOL, brilliant

Andy-R

skyhigh_71 – Member
    Hi,

Has anyone built a Peregrine with an Alfine? I’m in the process of building mine with an Alfine 11 speed. The chainline on the alfine seems very narrow at about 42mm. I am trying to recycle an FSA compact chainset using the 34 tooth smaller ring only. Ideally I’d have liked this on the outer position. Looks like the 34 tooth ring I want to use should be near the line I need in the inner position, but this is going to look pretty cack with no ring on the outside and probably some washers to space out the chain ring bolts.

If you reverse the sprocket on the Alfine this will move the chainline out by 5mm, which will bring you to around 47mm. If you want to use just one chainring get some shorter bolts.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

nexus sprockets are dished – or some of them

nedrapier

Dont know if this is any help, but I’ve got a 48T Salsa ring on the middle ring position on an old LX chainset. There’s 8-10 mm of clearance to the chainstay, and that’s with the EBB in the 9 o’clock position as you look from the drive side. No Alfine here though.

You’ve also got the option of shifting the EBB by a mm or so. probably not advisable, but I can’t see why it a huge problem if you’re only after a mm.

Saccades
    Free Member

Certainly able to fit a 36 in on the front – but my frame is a 456 prototype and not a singular.

That’s the only photo I have atm, the bike is up at a mechanics having the large race replaced on the alfine hub, after 2.5 years of being ignored the cup and cone are banjaxed. Hopefully the new race will allow me to get another winter out of it before I have to buy another hub (the gear shifting etc is working perfectly, looks like I’ll have a perfect set of internals as spare)

typifying

Hummm, picked the wrong word on the autocomplete…

skyhigh_71

I think I’ve just found salvation. The chain line is good with the ring on the inner position of the compact chain set, so I needed a lightweight 34t bash.

Just ordered one from here

A very reasonable $18 US inc shipping.

Out today to find some washers to bodge it up in the mean time.

nedrapier

Hooray!

Post some pics when you’ve finished?

Chainline
    Free Member

I’m late to this but I Jon’s looks like my old one. I purchased a Nexus sprocket and reversed it so the dish pushed the rear sprocket out. This puts the chainline easily close enough to the middle. Running a mtb chainset you can just then put the 44T ring on where the middle ring would normally be on the inside of the tab. I used an FSA carbon chainset but any 104t BCD would be fine. The chainline is then pretty much spot on.

rootes1

would an alfine chainset not be best? in either 39 or 45t

this has the correct chainline to match the hub

skyhigh_71

For those who asked, work in progress pics here

No trolling about having tyre logos/cranks etc aligned please!!!

nedrapier

Looks good. Nice truing guides!

What’s the saddle? spesh something or other?

skyhigh_71

Hi Ed,

yes saddle is spesh Avatar from a few years back. Bit firm after an MTB saddle so will see how it goes. Looks better than if feels!

Woodcutter
    Free Member

It’s looking smart skyhigh. Quite jealous. Is that a 56cm frame?

skyhigh_71

Hi Woodcutter, the frame is a large 59cm as I am 6’5″.

I had a first ride last night for about 10 miles which was good. All is well except the gear adjustment which is proving to be very tricky. I was pleased that my first attempt at wheel building appears to be OK in that they didn’t collapse under me and are still round!

Pics per link above updated.

cheers

Chainline
    Free Member

rootes, the alfine chainline is too narrow to work on a peregrine

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Hello. Only just seen this thread. On my 8-speed i flipped the cog, and fitted an isis bb with a 110mm axle, which combined with a singlespeed chainring mounted on the outer position of a middleburn rs8 gives a perfect chainline.
    Photos later…

Kahurangi

How big’s your ring?

& sprocket?

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Erm, 48:20 I think.

Kahurangi

So I should definitely be able to fit a 45t on that chainring. I’ve got a 45:18 (I think) at the moment but have 16 spare so could go smaller chainring for the same/similar range.

ta

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Singular Peregrine – anyone built with Alfine – chainline/chainset help?’ is closed to new replies.