Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Singletrack Dads World – newborns and slings?
  • mrblobby
    Free Member

Mrs blobby finally popped a week ago so exploring options for transporting baby and too scared to ask mumsnet. Like the idea of a sling for around the house and dog walking places where a pram might be a pain. What’s your experience of this? It is ok for newborns? What did you use? How do you make sure they are warm/cool enough? Any responses much appreciated.

fuzzhead
    Free Member

a BabyBjorn is what you need

clubber
    Free Member

I hated it (Baby Bjorn) – too hot and uncomfortable. YMMV

uluru
    Free Member

We used an Ergo with newborn insert for longer walks in the early days.

Babybjorn (or at least the older ones) aren’t the best out there imo but the most widely known. Don’t hold baby’s hips in the best position (a concern for us as hip dysplasia runs in the family). Friends have found they gave them a bad back (not sure if this is carrier specific or just carrier related)

Ergo was chosen for versatility, expensive but can be used for a long time (think they say 0 – 4 years).

hora
    Free Member

I hated it (Baby Bjorn) – too hot and uncomfortable. YMMV

+1 it also gave me back ache.

yunki
    Free Member

I was using a sling for the first week but I found it would not transport our new baby any further than about half way down the garden..

so I’ve now invested in one of these which if set up correctly will happily fire him over the back fence, across the next two fields, over the river and halfway up the big hill in the woods.. win!!

geoffj

BabyBjorn good
    Wilkinet bad

chutney13
    Free Member

used a babasling when he was very young which was ok, kind or wrapped him round my hip, i liked it but my wife thought he’d fall out of the bottom (he never did), then we used a baby bjorn which worked quite well, never had a prob temperature wise apart from his hands and feet got quite cold. now he is too fat to go on my front, gives me a bad back. if you are based in yorkshire there is a woman who runs a sling/carrier library type thing, she gives good advice and you can borrow different types for a while to see which suits. there’s probably people round the country do the same.

Rickos
    Free Member

We used a Lascal thing. Loved it. Great for wandering about town, walking the dog and stuff and then when they get a bit bigger they can face outwards. We went out after about 10 days into town with our first and he was nicely snuggled up in there.

You probably won’t use it much beyond 4 to 6 months or so though as the baby is a bit of a lump by then.

http://www.lascal.se/products/m1-carrier

Garry_Lager

Simple babybjorn is good for a newborn IME, but you need one with back support pretty soon as they grow. I think bb might do one, I have a mothercare one that works well.

TiRed

Mine used to ride to nursery in a pre-Baby Bjorn like sling we found in a charity shop. Only bridleways, mind 😉 . If it’s anything like ours, it’ll be too heavy in a month or two!

meehaja
    Free Member

go second hand as (as above will show) different people like different things. We liked the baby bjorn, but the boy got big fast and it started to hurt our backs, we also have a sling type thing, which he hated at first but now quite likes (at 7 months). This week he is rocking out in a tomy backpack thing that we got for £10 in a charity shop, he loves this

trb
    Free Member

After trying a cheaper alternative with our 1st, we got a baby bjorn for the 2nd and it was great. I spent many happy hours hoeing the allotment with her in it, (then as soon as she was asleep went to the pub for a pint)

mrblobby
    Free Member

Thanks chaps. Favourite seems to be a babybjorn. I’ll see if I can try a babasling thing too as I quite like the idea.

Bad backs do seem to get a mention though, a little worrying. Guess it’s just a case of being sensible about how long we use it for.

maxray
    Free Member

We had a baby bjorn with number 1, i liked, wife did not. This time with number 2 we have got a caboo, wife likes, me not so much 🙂

I think the bjorn appeals to blokes as it goes on a like a camelbak, click – done. The caboo is all fabric and crossing this over that etc… too hard for my male mind.

works really well for her.

petrieboy

Kari-me sling here
    Found it so good with petrieboy v2.1 that we didn’t bother with a pram at all for v2.2
    I’ve also used it to carry the 3 year old when he’s got grumpy on a long walk. (it’s easy to stash in a bag so it’s available if need be)

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Singletrack Dads World – newborns and slings?’ is closed to new replies.