Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Single speed fitness question
  • cinnamon_girl

In the past, any modicum of fitness has disappeared rapidly if I don’t ss regularly.

Am really getting into it now that I’ve changed frame and am deriving some weird sense of satisfaction despite aching quads.

So … my question is … how often should I ss, bearing in mind I have other bikes to enjoy?

As always, thank you so much. 🙂

xiphon
    Free Member

Provided you’re out getting exercise, does it matter which bike you take?

As for the SS side of things, I have noticed that since riding my Langster quite a bit, when I jump on the other bikes, I do see some fitness improvement (or maybe my perception has altered, as I have gears to choose from…)

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Alternate SS with fixie

Much fun, especially with a rigid 69er!

Keef
    Free Member

what is this ‘other bikes’ thing,of which you speak ?…….

😆

wwaswas

I face a similar dillema CG – I seem to end up reaching for the SS on every ride at the moment.

In the past I’ve broken the habit by deliberatly picking flatter routes that I know I’ll spin out on riding SS – you just need to get a bit of that cranking the big ring buzz back.

I did 37 miles in 2.5 hours off road in the New Forest on Saturday with a geared mtb – I don’t think I changed out the big ring the whole time 🙂

cinnamon_girl

Thanks for the replies.

I’m a girlie so one bike is not enough. 🙄

Am lucky to have a choice of very different bikes but every year I say I will ride ss throughout Winter and it never seems to happen!

So if I were to ride ss once a week, would my quads/upper body become strong-ish?

WCA – fixie? What’s the worst that could happen? 😉 Actually, don’t answer that!

molgrips
    Free Member

Probably psychological, or you are using gears to make it easy on yourself without realising it. Put your back into it, won’t matter if you are on SS or not 🙂

tk46hal
    Free Member

I’m using my new 29er rigid S/S at the moment and love it and obviously have to pick the right routes for the bike or use my geared bike! I have notice that when I get back home after using the s/s, it does feel that I’ve had a harder work out compared to when I’ve used the geared bike! So! It must be making me fitter and stronger? 😕
    Unless I’m out all day riding with the mates over the hills, I will probably ride s/s because I wouldn’t want to s/s all day! I’d be knackered! 😆
    The best of both I suppose!

cinnamon_girl

molgrips – interesting observation from you there!

tk46hal – a rigid bike just sounds downright painful!

molgrips
    Free Member

If I rode at Swinley a lot I’d consider a fully rigid 29er… 🙂

tk46hal
    Free Member

Cinnamon girl!
    No movement at all when powering up them hill and big wheels to get over anything! 😉
    I’ve got a little suspension, a pair of Ergon grips! 😆

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Single speed fitness question’ is closed to new replies.