Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Sim only phone deals – 3?
  • PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Thinking of going to sim only on my new phone and looking at 3

Don’t need lots of texts or minutes 200 of each will be ample and they have 200mins/5000texts and unlimited data for £12.90 on a rollng one month deal
    What are 3 like for coverage? Compared to O2 who i’m with now
    Can anyone better that?

Has to be a new NANO sim for iP5….. 🙂
    (Lets not get into THAT argument though please!)

grum
    Free Member

Giff gaff (02 budget line) are cheaper but I have heard things about their service going out, and it sounds like you’d have to get the SIM cut down to size for the 5.

Been eith 3 for years nd never had a problem btw.

kevster
    Free Member

Ive been with 3 and they seem to be ropey at the moment, they state the service is very good at my house and I can hardly get a signal. I think I will be changing in December, shame as they’re sim only deals are one of the best.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Grum, from the pics a nano sim looks different to a micro sim, not just smaller. I could be well wrong about that though!!!

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Kevster, where do you live? I’m Hants, Farnborough

Jamie
    Free Member

it sounds like you’d have to get the SIM cut down to size for the 5

I don’t think this will work, as it did with original sim > micro sim. As the actual chip on the nano sim is smaller.

I am surprised this bit of news has flown under the radar. I guess mainly as Apple neglected to mention it.

allthegear
    Free Member

I have had 3 for a year or son now and they have given the best 3G service to my iPhone4 that I’ve ever had. Not had to use the customer service much so cannot comment on that.

Being able to tether for unlimited data is brilliant. Believe me, I use it a *lot*.

Rachel

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Rachel, that sounds handy actually. Might give the a shot at this rate. 🙂

vinnyeh

I’ve just switched to 3 from vodafone, better signal where I live (and internet speeds are a lot higher), but obviously ymmv.

I’ve taken the 12 month 200min/500txt/500mb for £6.90 a month. £50 cashback reduces that to £2.73 a month, and it’s £3 a month to bolt on unlimited interenet. At that price,I originally thought that if the reception was really bad I could afford to write it off.

This is a great link with current deals and advantage/disadvantages.
    HUKD

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Cheers Vinny.
    I’ve just been looking at Quidco for deals actually.
    Where did your £50 cashback come from? 3 themselves?

vinnyeh

quidco.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

AhhHaa! 🙂

cuberider
    Free Member

Had 3 sim only for more than a year now. Coverage is very good. No problems.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Well, I got a 3 sim with £25 cashback, £12.90 a month, one month contract, 200mins + 5000texts, ‘all you can eat’ data, which apparently, their fair usage policy is about 70gb! (2gb will do me)

So far, I’m very impressed indeed. I’m getting 6-7mb/sec download speed on 2g and 2mb/sec upload. Coverage is at least as good as O2 in the palces I’ve been to. It seems to drop to one or two bars fairly readily, but it’s a reliable 1-2 bars with usable internet.

Very happy! 🙂

epo-aholic
    Free Member

giff gaff or vodafone, i’m with a sim only voda…300 mins, 500 texts and unlimited internet (for a limited period) £10.50 per month 😉

mboy
    Free Member

Likewise am happy with 3’s coverage so far PP.

The only time I’ve noticed it’s not as good as O2 is when inside a couple of buildings I’ve been into recently, where O2 would usually leave me with a bar, 3 has dropped completely. But pretty much everywhere else it’s as good, or better than O2, and I’m getting some quick download speeds on 3G too. Never slower than 2mb/sec, and often as fast as 6mb/sec dependant on where I am, and upload speeds of up to 2.5mb/sec is pretty darned fast too!

And on the subject of the “fair usage” policy. I was speaking to a guy the other day that uses his Smartphone as his internet router at home on 3 network, cos he gets over 6mb/sec on 3G where he lives but his BB router only gives about 2.5! He said he has downloaded more than 80Gig in a month, just over his phone before, and it didn’t slow down… I don’t think I need worry about hitting their limits!

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Mboy – Fairy Nuff.

It’s not going to be long before wired internet at home is a thing of the past is it? Is there such a thing as a router you can just chuck a SIM card in? Or a dongle, for a home network rather than just one computer?

I’m not a techy person, please use simple language! 🙂

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Apparently there is. And some of them you can plug telephones into as well…..

Hmmmmmm……

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

And there’s even battery operated ones so you can have a network in your tent!

Blimey.

jota180
    Free Member

Is there such a thing as a router you can just chuck a SIM card in? Or a dongle, for a home network rather than just one computer?

We use a Draytek router to do that on some of our sites

Farmer_John
    Free Member

“Fair usage” on Three is limited to 1000gb a month, but only as it’s not physically possible to download more than that web downloading 24 hours a day for a whole month on 3G.

Worth trying a payg sim first to check coverage but their rural coverage is pretty good now – I consistently get 3G coverage with them on my iPad on Cornwall, Devon and South Wales when my work Vodafone can only manage a ropey 2g signal,

wisepranker
    Free Member

The 3G coverage on Three has never let me down yet, I’ve been using it for most of the past year as a hotspot linked to my iPad to watch all the Downhill World Cup rounds!

sharkbait
    Free Member

3 coverage was no good for me in parts of N Wales so I went with Tesco mobile which uses O2 network.
    500 mins, 5000 text and 500mb data for £10/month inc vat.
    Family perk has just upped the data allowance to 750mb but I struggle to use more than 100mb/month anyway.l

takisawa2

Virgin Mediocre, £7 for 150mins, unlimited texts & 500mb of data.
    (Uses Orange & T-mobile).

PePPeR

I’m the same as Farmer John I have 3 as my network and Vodafone for work, and the Vodafone is Shite!

I can never get the download speeds that my 3 phone gets so I very rarely use it!

I came over from Vodfone after years of being with them and have rarely spent over my limits with them (only when abroad).

The only thing I do like about Vodafone is the Passport thing, But 3 are now charging a fiver a day abroad for unlimited downloads!

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Sim only phone deals – 3?’ is closed to new replies.