Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Signal Booster for O2 at home?
  • cb

I have a rubbish signal on O2 at home and as I now work at home could use it being a bit better. Vodafone sells a Sure Signal box which operates on the broadband line http://shop.vodafone.co.uk/shop/mobile-accessories/vodafone-sure-signal – anyone know if this type of thing is available for O2?

Thanks

wwaswas

No, only Vodfone offer it currently.

Although they rather nicely consider any data going through their box to be from your 'plan' data limit rather than doign it for free as it's over your broadband connection…

jon1973
    Free Member

Although they rather nicely consider any data going through their box to be from your 'plan' data limit rather than doign it for free as it's over your broadband connection…

Really? that's a bit cr@p. Can you still tell your phone to use the wifi? or is it just that it doesn't use it by default if available?

wwaswas

I think so jon1973 – was something I read on Bitter Wallet where people had been caught out.

trail_rat
    Free Member

im moving to a house with similar conditions – wondering if i can knock up an external antenea for my phone – it gets a signal occasionally but would be better if i could build something – im sure one of those hack sites will have something …placing it in a bowl wrapped in tinfoil 😉

akira

Think you can get something called an iplate that sometimes increases speed, although how well it works seems to be a bit hit and miss.
    Think it removes some interference or something, about a tenner, google it to find out more.

cb

The iplate is an accelerator for the broadband rather than a phone signal booster – have one already

Tim
    Free Member

a UMA phone will also be able to make calls through wifi, charged on your data plan

trail_rat
    Free Member

according to the many wonders of google -the fact that i get some signal in my house occasionally means i stand a chance of a paperclip boosting my signal …. – will report back next week

akira

Ah, just skimmed your post and then jumped in.

Cougar

The iPlate isn't an "accelerator", it just removes a source of interference. It's a waste of money – there are better options, but that's a whole other topic.

BT used to do a product called BT Fusion, which (IIRC) used your landline to extend your mobile coverage when you were at home. I don't know much about it (and can't be bothered to research it when I'm at work) but that might be an option if it's still available?

cb

Withdrawn April 2009 apparently – so says Wiki…

Russell96

Proper way is to use a mobile repeater >>

http://mobilerepeater.co.uk/shop/home.php

The link you posted is for a Femto Cell, the mobile phone connects to that and then your conversation is transported across your broadband internet connection to Vodafone where it then connects to their mobile network. On their current pricing scheme I feel it's a bit too pricy as you pay for the Femto Cell then on top of that you are paying for your broadband connection over which they are transporting your mobile phone calls and charging you the same call rates, even thou by doing it they have reduced the need for capacity for cells in your area.

john_drummer
    Free Member

is this a WiFi problem? if so, the answer is Cat5 cable between your computer & router.

cb

Its not a WiFi problem – just p*ss poor signal on the mobile at home. Seems no reasonable cost solution exists – the repeater is more than I would pay. Thanks for all the suggestions though

IA

The most cost effective solution might be try orange or t-mob. The different operators have different coverage, some are better than others in different places as they use different frequencies.

trail_rat
    Free Member

zero from any in my house – knew that before i signed though – dont give that much of a shit – got a land line for those important calls

dave_rudabar
    Free Member

O2 were trialling those femtocells last year or so – I wanted one as well! I'm suprised they've not brought them to market actually.
    You can cobble together a low power repeater system for yourself for about £100 or so using ebay, but it's not legal…

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Signal Booster for O2 at home?’ is closed to new replies.