Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Side to side play in new Hope Pro II?
  • matt303
    Free Member

Just fitted my new wheels and I’m rather disappointed at the amount of side to side play in the Pro II QR front (you can hear it clunk). If anything it’s worse than the 3 year old never serviced Bontrager hub it replaced. I was also amazed at how the ends only pushed in and there is no continuous axle through the hub. Think it will XT every time for me from now on.

Just needed to vent.

mojo5pro
    Free Member

a few have complained about this.I’ve got it with my hope pro2 15QR.

I re-seated bearings and that helped at first but the play came back within a ride or two.
    Phoned Hope and they said it could be faulty bearings. They sent me some free the next day. Not fitted them yet though so don’t know if this is the problem.
    *side note..on the same new bike I’ve got probs with a hope brake rotor aswell. Not impressed with QC at Hope at moment.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

20mm or QR?

matt303
    Free Member

QR

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Is the play side to side along the axle or wobble like loose bearings? I would try tapping the bearings in ( outer race) to make sure they are properly seated and see if the QR is done up really tight

matt303
    Free Member

It’s a wobble like loose bearings, hold the tyre and move it side to side.

TheDoog
    Free Member

Yup, i’d tap the bearings in to make sure they’re seated properly and tighten up the QR. It’ll feel like terrible play if you’re holding the tyre cos the amount of play is amplified along the dia’ of the wheel!!

retro83
    Free Member

As above make sure they’re seated, having said that mine came with faulty bearings so I replaced them with SKF ones which sorted it.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

There is (or should be) a spacer tube in the middle that looks like this
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=18755
    when you tighten the QR, the inner race of the bearings should press against it, which is why there is not ‘continuous axle’.

matt303
    Free Member

Yeah the tube is there.

One thing I have noticed with the QR ends is one (the disc side) is a really snug fit and the other side is a loose fit easy to remove lightly gripped with two fingers and when fully inserted still has a lot of side to side play.

Does look like this is a design more for versatility (QR, 15, 20mm) than a really good QR hub.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

if it’s a new wheel just take it back – there shouldn’t be ANY detectable play!

matt303
    Free Member

All sorted now, one of the bearings wasn’t pressed in fully.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Side to side play in new Hope Pro II?’ is closed to new replies.