Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Shower leaking down the back of the bath.
  • Onzadog
    Free Member

Puddle coming from under the bath last night. Took the side panel off and it looks like It’s between the tiled internal wall and the bath. I hope it’s not from the electric shower water feed in the wall! The grout is looking a bit tired in places as well.

Question is, do I re-grout and new silicon seal or try one of these new telescopic strip systems? Any experience or advice out there?
    If it turns into a big job, there could be a thread coming about a new shower at the other end on the external wall fed from the combi boiler.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Does the grout look like it’s not sealing?

Can’t you pour a load of water over it see where the leak is (or determine if it’s the pipework)?

Otherwise, depends on the size of the gap. I used some quadrant and silicon seal.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Could be where the cold water feed comes thro the wall into the back of the unit, or at the joint into the unit. Could also possibly be the silicone around the bath edge? I’d isolate the power and take the cover off to see if the fitting is leaking, which it will still do as its under pressure. If no sign remove unit from wall and check silicone around the pipe as it comes thro the tiles! Won’t be the pipe work in the wall or it’d be leaking permanently whether shower off or on.

wwaswas

wot wrightyson said.

Don;t go for the plastic strip type seals.

Boshc (and others) do some good little machines you can put a special cutter on to dig old grout out – well worth it if you’ve got a lot to do.

http://www.axminster.co.uk/bosch-bosch-pmf-180e-all-rounder–240v-prod656314/

I’ve got one and I’m really impressed – it’s made a lot of jobs a lot easier since I had it.

get all the old sealnt out before you redo that too.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Cheers guys. Had the side panel off the bath all day. Things look dryer than they did last night so it does seem to be the bath/wall seal. Other half is wondering if It’s reason enough for a new bathroom.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Bugga. Shower is fine but two internal walls are ****. They’re made of straw. Can’t see that drying out in a hurry.

chickenman

A lot of the leaks are caused by people relaying on the feet of the bath to hold the bath up; bath then sags about 5mm when you get in (+ the weight of the water if you’re bathing). No seal will cope with this ammount of movement.
    Either fix a strap under the lip of the bath before installing or push a timber props into the back corners (tight) to do same. Use a good quality sanitary silicon (Forever White or Dow Corning) to affect seal; do this with bath half full of water to make sure it won’t sag more than this.

Onzadog
    Free Member

No, I was wrong. Shower is pissing water down the straw wall. New walls and new shower me thinks.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Shower leaking down the back of the bath.’ is closed to new replies.